Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I too am enjoying the Amazon series on the GD.First got into the GD in the summer of '69 and saw them for the first time at Woodstock. But their music was a bit too intricate unless you were up close in the daytime summer heat. My next time seeing the GD was Dec. 30, 1969 at the Boston Tea Party, a state-of-the-art music club, right across from Fenway Park. This was the GD 1st trip outside of CA for New Years Eve.Their concert was a transcendent musical experience. We were about 6-7 yards away from the Garcia, keyboard and PigPen side of the stage sitting on cushions. The stage could barely hold all of the "Owsley" sound equipment and instruments so there was an intimacy with the audience that this period so emphasizes in "Long Strange Trip". The first set were numbers from mostly "Live Dead" stuff that I was quite familiar with. But once they got into these songs like Sugar Magnolia they branched out to their instrumental improvisations. The GD had 2 drummers then and their presence and power when the band came back to the song they started out with has never been adequately recorded. Time and time again their were these wonderful musical climaxes to their numbers in the 1st set. PigPen sang a song that moved the audience needle. I think Mustang Sally. The second set consisted of a medley of their psychedelic stuff from "Anthem to the Sun" like "Alligator" and "The Other One" with great climactical endings. Pigpen tossed a cherry bomb that really did my girlfriend in as she had her eyes closed digging the music. Later on in the set they started their feedback stuff just like the end of "Live Dead".
    The next time I saw the GD was in NY at the Fillmore East 2-3 days later. This was the only time I saw the GD sitting in a seat. The music was great but much more controlled and although the sound was good for a large theater, it could never match the small club with the same band equipment as my experience a couple of days before.
    In early '71 I saw the GD at Winterland for just $3. With some good fortune I got to sit on cushions 10-15 yds from the stage in the center. About a year later I saw them play in Georgetown at McDonough Gym. The GD were late and it got so warm that several girls sitting on the gymfloor took their tops off.
    Besides these personal experiences, the GD years from Anthem thru the European Tour, 72, and maybe the Sunshine Daydream concert in Oregon and the Bob Weir now cd Ace" is excellent. IMO, the early Dead was clearly their best work

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    IMO, the early Dead was clearly their best work
    In those days, who did you consider the leader of the band?

I assume most of y'all know this site, but he f not:

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Stream, stream away!

"In those days, who did you consider the leader of the band? "
    Everyone assumes that Garcia was the leader of the band but the Amazon series makes the point that they were somewhat leaderless a few years later. As far as the music for the night goes it almost had to be Garcia with input from Weir and Lesh.
    They had to go over what they were going to play since they were improvising on ever song.

I'm not a huge fan, but I have two reminiscences about the Grateful Dead.

1) I picked up one of their cassette tapes, having no idea what their music was like, and as it happened I put it on in my car when I picked up a girl I had had my eyes on for a long time. Turned out that she was a huge fan, so I scored a lot of points. I pretended like I had been listening to their music for years. In her eyes, that made me cool. So I have the Grateful Dead to thank for making a good first impression that I didn't really deserve.

2) After that I started listening to them a bit more, and when they came around I ended up going to one of their concerts. Yes, just one. But it was in Park City, Utah surrounded by gorgeous mountain scenery and it was a great experience.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke
    "In those days, who did you consider the leader of the band? "
    Everyone assumes that Garcia was the leader of the band but the Amazon series makes the point that they were somewhat leaderless a few years later. As far as the music for the night goes it almost had to be Garcia with input from Weir and Lesh.
    I asked because your original post referenced Pig, many times. Pigpen was before my time, so I frequently engage the Pig vs. Garcia discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke
    They had to go over what they were going to play since they were improvising on ever song.
    Are you saying the boys had an established song list prepared before a show?

"Are you saying the boys had an established song list prepared before a show? "
    I think so though I haven't read anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    "Are you saying the boys had an established song list prepared before a show? "
    I think so though I haven't read anything about it.
    I also have not read anything about it.

When I first started collecting tapes, specifically soundboards, in the late 70's, you could sometimes hear band members discussing what tune they would play next. So, I assumed there were no pre-show set lists. At the time, all of my friends also believed there were no pre-show lists. Then, in the mid-80's, I became friends with people close to the band (roadies, friends, etc.) and was shown pre-show set lists. The deal was if they played the first tune, then they almost always played the exact list. This was usually the case and I quickly decided to not look at lists. By the late 80's, I knew so many people, it became very hard to avoid finding out major events in advance. Ignorance is bliss.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    July 12th, 1989, RFK Stadium. My very first show ever.
    And now, I can see it again. (Which I might, it is a little bit of a drive for me and my girlfriend wouldn't be able to go, but it is tempting.)

In Theaters Aug 1
    7th Annual
    Grateful Dead Meet-Up 2017

In celebration of what would have been Jerry Garcia’s 75th birthday, meet up with friends and fellow Dead Heads in cinemas nationwide for the 7th Annual Grateful Dead Meet-Up at the Movies. This special one-night event features the band’s compete, never-before-seen performance at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. on 7/12/1989. This year’s concert features a rare first set that contains at least one song sung by each of the four lead singers and a terrific show-opening rendition of the band's biggest hit “Touch Of Grey.” The show’s second set begins with a very uncommon second-set opener, “Sugaree,” two songs with Bruce Hornsby sitting in (“Sugaree,” and “Man Smart [Woman Smarter]”), plus one of the only video recorded versions of “Black Muddy River.”

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...nt=retargeting
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I am fairly certain that I was there.

Thought this thread was gonna be about mushrooms.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Oh cool, my girlfriend can go! (And wants to go.) Nearest theater for us in Greenville.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am fairly certain that I was there.
    My stub claims I was.

Must say, I never cared for stadium shows!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    My stub claims I was.

Must say, I never cared for stadium shows!
    Agreed.

I usually put my stubs in the tape case for the show, so would have to pull out all of my tapes to be sure. Haven't seen those boxes in a long time . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap
    Agreed.
    The only time I travelled far to stadium shows were the '87 Dylan gigs.

Alpine was the only large venue I frequented. Even then, I only went when I had pavilion seats for the entire run.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap
    I usually put my stubs in the tape case for the show, so would have to pull out all of my tapes to be sure. Haven't seen those boxes in a long time . . . .
    Many of my stubs never made it home. Most of the survivors are in my stub box, which I recently broke out to show my kid. It must have been very entertaining watching her old man hold up stubs proclaiming, "Wow, I went to that show?".

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    July 12th, 1989, RFK Stadium. My very first show ever.
    And now, I can see it again. (Which I might, it is a little bit of a drive for me and my girlfriend wouldn't be able to go, but it is tempting.)

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...nt=retargeting
    Went last night and had a great time. My girlfriend had never seen them, so my first show turned into her first show. She had a good time, and loved making fun of Bobby. Awesome watching/hearing Brent again. Gf asked who he was, I said "That's Brent, he's dead." Told her about Bruce Hornsby replacing him. "Oooh, I like Bruce Hornsby". And of course, for Man Smart, she got to see Bruce and Brent playing together.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Went last night and had a great time. My girlfriend had never seen them, so my first show turned into her first show. She had a good time, and loved making fun of Bobby.
    Glad you two had a blast!

Your girlfriend is taking a rather unique female path. Back in the day, seemed like most guys made fun of Bobby and most girls wanted to sleep with him.

Must admit, I never gave Bobby the appreciation his play deserved. Of course, neither did Healy.

Glad you two had a blast!

Your girlfriend is taking a rather unique female path. Back in the day, seemed like most guys made fun of Bobby and most girls wanted to sleep with him.

Must admit, I never gave Bobby the appreciation his play deserved. Of course, neither did Healy.
    "Fat man melts. Thin man spits"

-- old bumper sticker from back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "Fat man melts. Thin man spits"

-- old bumper sticker from back in the day
    IMO, Bobby was in the hardest position to prove his worth. I suspect getting tossed out of the band, early on, helped Bobby come to that realization. Jerry did not need a rhythm guitarist.

IMO, Bobby was in the hardest position to prove his worth. I suspect getting tossed out of the band, early on, helped Bobby come to that realization. Jerry did not need a rhythm guitarist.
    Agreed. Although Bobby plays really intricate stuff, not just chords. (I'm sure you're aware). And even the chord phrasing is interesting.

I'll try to link something later, but three songs from the "Without A Net" CD come to mind:

-- Feel Like a Stranger
    -- Chinacat -> Rider

Really interesting Bobby, taken from a great tour.