Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks for the great news. With football season approaching, I was hoping the road construction would be complete.
    They finished one side, and now they are working on the other side. So now all traffic is routed to the other side.

Thanks for the great news. With football season approaching, I was hoping the road construction would be complete.
    It's a bit longer but I'd come down via I-95 S to Rocky Mount, take US 64 W to Raleigh, then pick up I-440 W to the Durham Freeway which is NC 147. I-40 W, which goes around Raleigh to the south, is still under construction, too.

They have single lanes north and south for 20-25 miles and the project looks like another 12-18 months before completion. Truly awful planning on the NCDOT part.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    They finished one side, and now they are working on the other side. So now all traffic is routed to the other side.
    I guess that could be sorta/kinda true. I-85 S is under construction but when we were on I-85 N on Friday night, we were partially on the crappy shoulder driving 20-30 MPH and took about an hour to travel the 20-25 miles.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I guess that could be sorta/kinda true. I-85 S is under construction but when we were on I-85 N on Friday night, we were partially on the crappy shoulder driving 20-30 MPH and took about an hour to travel the 20-25 miles.
    The project on I-85 is to rebuild the entire road from the VA border to Henderson. This pavement was constructed in 1977. Other sections further south from Falls Lake to Henderson, have been rebuilt over the past decade or so.

Last year, the first two (of four) ~five mile stretches of NB 85 were re-built. The intent was to then finish the other two sections this year, then two sections on the SB side over each of the following two years. Given the length of time that would take, the decision was to create the 21 mile single lane operation, so that the work could be finished next year, at least a year early. Other than possibly holiday periods, the traffic volume is not heavy enough to create significant delays, although obviously getting stuck behind somebody driving 40 or 45 isn't great. (And Friday would have counted as a holiday, albeit a minor one from a traffic standpoint.)

In the sections of road that have been reconstructed on the NB side, the SB traffic is in a full, newly constructed, lane. NB is half on a new lane and half on a shoulder that was designed to hold traffic for a year. The sections that haven't been reconstructed are not great, but not "crappy" in that you could only go 20-30. I drove back from DC last night, and was doing right about 60 the entire stretch. (Drove NB on Saturday, again at 60.)

So, no, not "truly awful planning" but intentional to get the job done faster, and plenty of planning and analysis was done to determine how bad it would be during the worst part of the year to determine the cost/benefit/risk of doing it. (And a possible backup on holidays is one of the "risks" that was considered.)

Regarding the alternative route mentioned, down I-95 to future I-87 (formerly future I-495, usually called US 64) and then to I-40, that adds 20 miles to the trip (measuring from Emporia), and includes driving right past Carter-Finley Stadium. So the backup on I-85 would have to be severe, and no backups on 95 or 40, to make it worth your while. Perhaps on Labor Day Friday/Monday (Saturday is not a high-volume day.) OTher than a crash, I wouldn't be that worried about other Saturdays.

(If I was coming to WW from Rocky Mount, I'd get off 64 onto I-540, exit at US 70, go two signals west to TW Alexander, then on TW-A to NC 147 (Durham Freeway.) I-40 in south Raleigh should be completed late summer/early fall. Similar issue with replacing almost 40 year old pavement.)

Here is the document:

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

It is worth the time to read it at least once a year.
    I listen to the NPR reading every year on July 4th
    and it always gets dusty towards the end.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/04/534096579/a-july-4th-tradition-the-declaration-of-independence-read-aloud

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The project on I-85 is to rebuild the entire road from the VA border to Henderson. This pavement was constructed in 1977. Other sections further south from Falls Lake to Henderson, have been rebuilt over the past decade or so.

Last year, the first two (of four) ~five mile stretches of NB 85 were re-built. The intent was to then finish the other two sections this year, then two sections on the SB side over each of the following two years. Given the length of time that would take, the decision was to create the 21 mile single lane operation, so that the work could be finished next year, at least a year early. Other than possibly holiday periods, the traffic volume is not heavy enough to create significant delays, although obviously getting stuck behind somebody driving 40 or 45 isn't great. (And Friday would have counted as a holiday, albeit a minor one from a traffic standpoint.)

In the sections of road that have been reconstructed on the NB side, the SB traffic is in a full, newly constructed, lane. NB is half on a new lane and half on a shoulder that was designed to hold traffic for a year. The sections that haven't been reconstructed are not great, but not "crappy" in that you could only go 20-30. I drove back from DC last night, and was doing right about 60 the entire stretch. (Drove NB on Saturday, again at 60.)

So, no, not "truly awful planning" but intentional to get the job done faster, and plenty of planning and analysis was done to determine how bad it would be during the worst part of the year to determine the cost/benefit/risk of doing it. (And a possible backup on holidays is one of the "risks" that was considered.)

Regarding the alternative route mentioned, down I-95 to future I-87 (formerly future I-495, usually called US 64) and then to I-40, that adds 20 miles to the trip (measuring from Emporia), and includes driving right past Carter-Finley Stadium. So the backup on I-85 would have to be severe, and no backups on 95 or 40, to make it worth your while. Perhaps on Labor Day Friday/Monday (Saturday is not a high-volume day.) OTher than a crash, I wouldn't be that worried about other Saturdays.

(If I was coming to WW from Rocky Mount, I'd get off 64 onto I-540, exit at US 70, go two signals west to TW Alexander, then on TW-A to NC 147 (Durham Freeway.) I-40 in south Raleigh should be completed late summer/early fall. Similar issue with replacing almost 40 year old pavement.)
    Great explanation. Thanks!

My wife (from Henderson) actually thinks the pavement is older than 1977. She moved there in about 1964 and remembers construction from Henderson to the VA border for 5-10 years. At least the "shoulder" did not have the rumble strips for 20+ miles. We returned from Charlottesville on Sunday via US 29 through Lynchburg and Danville to avoid I-85 S, not knowing what the traffic would be like. Pretty drive.

I live very near I-540 but, if I was traveling from Rocky Mount to Derm, I'd take I-440 as I think it's shorter than I-540 and avoids the I-40 construction zone in south Raleigh, a longer route. Good to hear the I-40 project is near completion. I thought it would be another year. We travel on that part of I-40 quite infrequently.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

My wife (from Henderson) actually thinks the pavement is older than 1977. She moved there in about 1964 and remembers construction from Henderson to the VA border for 5-10 years. At least the "shoulder" did not have the rumble strips for 20+ miles. We returned from Charlottesville on Sunday via US 29 through Lynchburg and Danville to avoid I-85 S, not knowing what the traffic would be like. Pretty drive.

I live very near I-540 but, if I was traveling from Rocky Mount to Derm, I'd take I-440 as I think it's shorter than I-540 and avoids the I-40 construction zone in south Raleigh, a longer route. Good to hear the I-40 project is near completion. I thought it would be another year. We travel on that part of I-40 quite infrequently.
    The I-540 route is about a mile longer, but is usually more reliable than 440, and is signed at 70 MPH, instead of 60. From 64, the north and side sides of Raleigh are roughly the same distance. Typically, I-40 would be slightly faster (absent crashes) but the current construction makes them about even.

Back to I-85 (and any other road in NC), you can check traffic conditions on NCDOT's TIMS page (TIMS=Traveler Information Management System) - http://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/

There's also a Twitter account: @NCDOT_I85. It covers any incident on 85, including the two major construction zones: the one near the VA border, and the widening between Concord to south of Salisbury (miles 57-69.)

Once those two are finished, there's two other projects on the docket, one widening from 4 to 6 lanes (three lanes in each direction) from the SC border to US 74, and the section in Durham/Orange from NC 147 to US 70. That'll leave the section from I-40 to US 70 in Orange County (Hillsborough) as the only part of 85 between SC and north Durham that won't be at least six lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    It's a bit longer but I'd come down via I-95 S to Rocky Mount, take US 64 W to Raleigh, then pick up I-440 W to the Durham Freeway which is NC 147. I-40 W, which goes around Raleigh to the south, is still under construction, too.

They have single lanes north and south for 20-25 miles and the project looks like another 12-18 months before completion. Truly awful planning on the NCDOT part.

The I-540 route is about a mile longer, but is usually more reliable than 440, and is signed at 70 MPH, instead of 60. From 64, the north and side sides of Raleigh are roughly the same distance. Typically, I-40 would be slightly faster (absent crashes) but the current construction makes them about even.

Back to I-85 (and any other road in NC), you can check traffic conditions on NCDOT's TIMS page (TIMS=Traveler Information Management System) - http://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/

There's also a Twitter account: @NCDOT_I85. It covers any incident on 85, including the two major construction zones: the one near the VA border, and the widening between Concord to south of Salisbury (miles 57-69.)

Once those two are finished, there's two other projects on the docket, one widening from 4 to 6 lanes (three lanes in each direction) from the SC border to US 74, and the section in Durham/Orange from NC 147 to US 70. That'll leave the section from I-40 to US 70 in Orange County (Hillsborough) as the only part of 85 between SC and north Durham that won't be at least six lanes.
    The mother of all thread hijacks?!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't know. There are few things more American in the summertime than complaining about road construction
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Well, some of us were traveling on/around July 4 .

Wait'll the puns start and/or the beer discussions begin, too.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing....how did we get from a Fourth of July celebration thread to a road paving discussion??

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    ... how did we get from a Fourth of July celebration thread to a road paving discussion??
    Because the road to Henderson is paved with good decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Back in my day it only went to Creedmoor.

But Henderson lives in Las Vegas and roads to that location are not all paved with good decisions.

But Henderson lives in Las Vegas and roads to that location are not all paved with good decisions.
    Tell that to Bugsy.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness entail getting out of Chapel Hill as quickly as possible, and governments are instituted among men to build good roads to make that possible.

LOL, yea, but I thought it was just a "bridge too far" (no pun intended).

Back to the original intent of this thread, I went to hear NC native James Taylor (and his special guest Bonnie Raitt) perform at an outdoor music venue near my house, followed by an impressive fireworks display! He performs almost every July 4th weekend at this venue to a packed, sold-out audience. He started the concert with a nice, acoustic version of the star-spangled banner and then went right into "Carolina in my Mind". At the age of 69, he still has his voice and puts on a good show. Bonnie Raitt played 3 or 4 songs with him and her voice is still as powerful as ever. Absolutely gorgeous night in New England.

I may start having DU82 chauffeur me around the Triangle area even if it's not July 4.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    LOL, yea, but I thought it was just a "bridge too far" (no pun intended).

Back to the original intent of this thread, I went to hear NC native James Taylor (and his special guest Bonnie Raitt) perform at an outdoor music venue near my house, followed by an impressive fireworks display! He performs almost every July 4th weekend at this venue to a packed, sold-out audience. He started the concert with a nice, acoustic version of the star-spangled banner and then went right into "Carolina in my Mind". At the age of 69, he still has his voice and puts on a good show. Bonnie Raitt played 3 or 4 songs with him and her voice is still as powerful as ever. Absolutely gorgeous night in New England.
    Did he sing about his days on the Morgan Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Did he sing about his days on the Morgan Creek?
    Yep, he sang "Copperline". I believe Reynolds Price wrote the words to that song, for James.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=22767