Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Happy Fourth of July?

We need to celebrate the birth of America ... even if we have the wrong birthday.

No less a figure than John Adams, who did as much as anybody to push the Declaration of Independence to passage, made that clear in a letter he wrote to his wife on July 3, 1776:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

It was, of course, on July 2, 1776 that the Declaration was adopted. It was only announced on July 4 ... hence the confusion.

Still, a magnificent achievement by a remarkable group of men ...

Here is the document:

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

It is worth the time to read it at least once a year.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    We need to celebrate the birth of America ... even if we have the wrong birthday.

No less a figure than John Adams, who did as much as anybody to push the Declaration of Independence to passage, made that clear in a letter he wrote to his wife on July 3, 1776:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

It was, of course, on July 2, 1776 that the Declaration was adopted.
    And I have been angry about the date confusion for many years. I have, since childhood and reading about John Adams in one of those orange history books, been a great admirer of our second President. The real point of my anger is that the world does not properly recognize and celebrate my birthday.😡👿

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    And I have been angry about the date confusion for many years. I have, since childhood and reading about John Adams in one of those orange history books, been a great admirer of our second President. The real point of my anger is that the world does not properly recognize and celebrate my birthday.😡👿
    You mean, they don't properly celebrate our birthday! Happy mutual birthday, Indoor!

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    You mean, they don't properly celebrate our birthday! Happy mutual birthday, Indoor!
    Right back at you - but I get first call - I think I got there first. 😂😎

July 4th is great. I love the food and alcohol, but I hate the fireworks - or I should say I hate that my pup dog hates the fireworks, and so I hate the fireworks because she's my sweet bubba. Let's go with quiet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/s...rks-quiet.html
    ~rthomas

... It was, of course, on July 2, 1776 that the Declaration was adopted. It was only announced on July 4 ...
    Per this, the act to declare independence was agreed upon/adopted July 2, but the Declaration itself was still undergoing edits and was finalized/announced on July 4:

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...ly-2-or-july-4

Who can name the person who actually "wrote" the Declaration we see today?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Who can name the person who actually "wrote" the Declaration we see today?
    Having just returned from Monticello, my guess would be Thomas Jefferson, with some editing from John Adams and Benjamin Franklin, along with a couple other members of the "committee of five."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Technically, Timothy Matlack, working under the secretary of the Congress, Charles Thomson, seems to have been the one to have 'engrossed' or written the official document drawn up by Jefferson (with help from the Committee of Five, then further changes by the committee of the whole house). But this wasn't done until later in July, probably not signed by any of the delegates until August 2 or so. I bet the 'original' was likely thrown away after the official one was finished. That's if this is a Trick Question.

But I also suspect DevilDeac knows of what he speaks...

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Technically, Timothy Matlack, working under the secretary of the Congress, Charles Thomson, seems to have been the one to have 'engrossed' or written the official document drawn up by Jefferson (with help from the Committee of Five, then further changes by the committee of the whole house). But this wasn't done until later in July, probably not signed by any of the delegates until August 2 or so. I bet the 'original' was likely thrown away after the official one was finished. That's if this is a Trick Question.

But I also suspect DevilDeac knows of what he speaks...
    The debate over when the Declaration was signed is matter of great historical debate. Matlack did compose the copy that is now accepted as the "original." Most historians believe his copy was created in mid-to-late July, but there is a growing number who think it was actually done on July 4. A few years ago, most historians believed that the majority of delegates signed in early August, but new scholarship suggests that as many as 20 (of the 56 signees) signed on July 4 - including Hancock, who was almost certainly the first to sign (as the President of Congress). But many delegates definitely DID sign in August ... and some signed much later. There are several signees who weren't even in congress when the declaration was adopted.

But you want Declaration trivia? Okay, what's written on the back of the "original" copy?

It was, of course, on July 2, 1776 that the Declaration was adopted. It was only announced on July 4 ... hence the confusion.
    Are you certain? IIRC, the Lee Resolution was adopted July 2, 1776 and the Declaration of Independence was adopted July 4, 1776.

But you want Declaration trivia? Okay, what's written on the back of the "original" copy?
    The recipe for Granny's all-American apple pie?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here is the document:

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

It is worth the time to read it at least once a year.
    Too much common sense for today's world.

Belated Happy Bday to both of you!!

My twins celebrated theirs Monday with a train/metro ride to DC and went to the Nats/Mets game with their older sister.
    Shame on devildeac not stopping by for a visit since he went to Monticello, not far from me

Referring to this?

"Yes, there actually was something written in the back of the Declaration of Independence. But instead of an invisible map like in the Nicholas Cage blockbuster movie National Treasure, it only said "Original Declaration of Independence, dated 4th July 1776" at the bottom of the document, upside down."

Guessing this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    "Yes, there actually was something written in the back of the Declaration of Independence. But instead of an invisible map like in the Nicholas Cage blockbuster movie National Treasure, it only said "Original Declaration of Independence, dated 4th July 1776" at the bottom of the document, upside down."

Guessing this is it.
    That's what I was looking for ... probably written on it when it was rolled up and put into storage for the first time (before it became an icon that was put on display behind glass and with inert gasses to protect it).

This offer currently only valid for white men with property. May be extended to women, people of color and the propertyless after beta testing complete.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    My twins celebrated theirs Monday with a train/metro ride to DC and went to the Nats/Mets game with their older sister.
    Shame on devildeac not stopping by for a visit since he went to Monticello, not far from me
    Sorry. We drove up late Friday night through Richmond but drove back Sunday through Lynchburg and Danville. Believe me, I did think to give you a call but logistics didn't work this time. I-85 is also a freaking mess in both directions from Henderson to the NC/VA border.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I-85 is also a freaking mess in both directions from Henderson to the NC/VA border.
    Thanks for the great news. With football season approaching, I was hoping the road construction would be complete.
    Bob Green