Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cover story

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chapel Hill

    Cover story

    "Peak" or "peek" ??
    Love, Ima

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    "Peak" or "peek" ??
    Love, Ima
    While I did notice the peek/peak swap in the title of the article, and it did bother me some, I thought we would be discussing something else from that article when I clicked on this thread. There was something in that article that made me cringe. Did anyone else have that reaction?

    Here's the article for quick reference: http://www.bluestarmedia.org/cam-red...l-peak-future/

    Here's the spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to read the article / play my game:

    Spoiler!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Writers don't write the headlines so that particular mistake is on the editor/publisher.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    In the meantime, that's quite a recruiting process Calipari has going there. Paging Mr. Wojnarski...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Fort Myers, FL
    This article is shot through with errors which are either on the writer or the proofreader. Some are in quotes and some are not. One example: "route" used when the writer meant "rout." How many can you find?
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    This article is shot through with errors which are either on the writer or the proofreader. Some are in quotes and some are not. One example: "route" used when the writer meant "rout." How many can you find?
    If you count lack of Oxford commas, a quick glance reveals about 25 errors.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    This article is shot through with errors which are either on the writer or the proofreader. Some are in quotes and some are not. One example: "route" used when the writer meant "rout." How many can you find?
    Between the Calipari references at the end and the absolutely horrible copy editing, that article was really painful to read. It seems like Weiss typed it on an Egyptian computer and used a bad online translator to take it back to English.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Between the Calipari references at the end and the absolutely horrible copy editing, that article was really painful to read. It seems like Weiss typed it on an Egyptian computer and used a bad online translator to take it back to English.
    As has been said previously, the internet may have made copy editing obsolete, but "obsolete" is not the same as "unnecessary."
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    "They won that friendless easily ..." I'm still trying to figure that one out.
    Love, Ima

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    "Cameron Reddish is a peak into the future of men’s basketball. The 6-7 point/forward from The Westtown School in suburban Philadelphia—who has a 7-1 wingspan and was one of the two best players in the Nike EBYL along with 6-10 Marvin Bagley III – has become the post child for increasingly positionless nature of the sport"

    Post child?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    "They won that friendless easily ..." I'm still trying to figure that one out.
    Love, Ima
    Yeah that one jumped out at me too Ima. Weird..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Between the Calipari references at the end and the absolutely horrible copy editing, that article was really painful to read. It seems like Weiss typed it on an Egyptian computer and used a bad online translator to take it back to English.
    You got me thinking. My best guess: Weiss sold his name to an Egyptian who wrote the article for translation and publication under Weiss' byline.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC and DE Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Between the Calipari references at the end and the absolutely horrible copy editing, that article was really painful to read. It seems like Weiss typed it on an Egyptian computer and used a bad online translator to take it back to English.
    Wow! I sea what your meen.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    "Cameron Reddish is a peak into the future of men’s basketball. The 6-7 point/forward from The Westtown School in suburban Philadelphia—who has a 7-1 wingspan and was one of the two best players in the Nike EBYL along with 6-10 Marvin Bagley III – has become the post child for increasingly positionless nature of the sport"

    Post child?
    If he is a post child, doesn't that mean he has a position? I would think that he was born to play the post.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If he is a post child, doesn't that mean he has a position? I would think that he was born to play the post.
    Reminds me of the Stephen Colbert "I am a pole (and so can you)" book.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    My (serious) best guess is that he used dictation software without proofreading.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Fort Myers, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My (serious) best guess is that he used dictation software without proofreading.
    Probably a terrific guess!
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Interesting that Reddish refers to Calipari as John. "I love playing for John." Cannot imagine him calling K Mike.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If he is a post child, doesn't that mean he has a position? I would think that he was born to play the post.
    Being post-pubescent would, by definition, make him post child. Wouldn't it?

Similar Threads

  1. Cover songs...yea or nay
    By nmduke2001 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 02-11-2019, 07:04 AM
  2. ESPN The Magazine - Nov. 15th Issue - Duke Cover Story
    By mr. synellinden in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
  3. Cover Photo
    By madscavenger in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •