Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Welcome to Duke, Jordan Goldwire!

Jordan Goldwire‏ @j_gold11 13m13 minutes ago
    Excited to announce that I will still be a Devil! #BlueDevil

Adam Rowe‏ @AdamRoweTDD 13m13 minutes ago
    #Duke lands 2017 PG Jordan Goldwire after quick recruitment and official visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Jordan Goldwire‏ @j_gold11 13m13 minutes ago
    Excited to announce that I will still be a Devil! #BlueDevil
    Regarding his tweet, his high school team was also the Blue Devils.

Hoping we'll have two more "Welcome to Duke,..." threads this week.

Like his name

Is this the shortest Duke recruitment ever? Jim, Oly, and several other knowledgeable Duke historians will no doubt know. But this one seemed pretty fast. I just heard about his recruitment today and he already committed.

If you'd told me yesterday that today a point guard would commit to Duke, I would not have been surprised. But this is not what I would have expected.

Welcome to Duke Jordan!
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 05-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Congrats young man, and welcome.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Hoping we'll have two more "Welcome to Duke,..." threads this week.
    So I'm guessing (hoping) we shouldn't read too much into this with regards to Duval, right? I'm assuming based on his profile that this guy is (hopefully) more of a four year guy so he wouldn't be a conflict for Duval, but considering how out of right field this seems to have come I'm totally confused about everything at the moment lol.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Like his name
    Like his long term commitment.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Andre Buckner is the only analog I can think of for quickness. Even Antonio Vrankovic took longer.

Welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I know that he is rated higher than Andre Buckner, who was going to Tennessee as a walk-on. He got a Duke offer when Will Avery unexpectedly turned pro. K wanted another point guard to give coming freshman Jason Williams somebody else to practice against. Buckner did his job well and earned a national title ring in 2001.
    Oly, thought of your post when I read this article.

Relevant excerpt:

Goldwire also draws praise for his work on the defensive end. As a senior, McMillan assigned him to check the opponents’ best perimeter scorer, and Goldwire shined in Norcross’ man-to-man defensive system. In a December game against IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) at the City of Palms Classic, Goldwire matched up against superstar guard Trevon Duval, the No. 3 player in the Class of 2017, and held Duval to nine points on 4-of-14 shooting.

Oly, thought of your post when I read this article.

Relevant excerpt:

Goldwire also draws praise for his work on the defensive end. As a senior, McMillan assigned him to check the opponents’ best perimeter scorer, and Goldwire shined in Norcross’ man-to-man defensive system. In a December game against IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) at the City of Palms Classic, Goldwire matched up against superstar guard Trevon Duval, the No. 3 player in the Class of 2017, and held Duval to nine points on 4-of-14 shooting.
    Maybe that's what he is - a practice body to guard Duval. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Is this the shortest Duke recruitment ever? Jim, Oly, and several other knowledgeable Duke historians will no doubt know. But this one seemed pretty fast. I just heard about his recruitment today and he already committed.
    If I were in Goldwire's position, I would've committed today, too! What an upgrade in scholarship offer.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    So I'm guessing (hoping) we shouldn't read too much into this with regards to Duval, right? I'm assuming based on his profile that this guy is (hopefully) more of a four year guy so he wouldn't be a conflict for Duval, but considering how out of right field this seems to have come I'm totally confused about everything at the moment lol.
    From what I can tell, he's about a notch above Andre Buckner. This is a 4-year practice player and MAYBE rotation player as an upperclassmen if things fall right. If we miss out on Duval or Frank, the replacement we go after would be a higher caliber of player.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Like his long term commitment.
    As do I Chris. Welcome to Duke Jordan!

I love 4 year players and we need several more of them to be honest. I would expect this is a kid who will be patient and not run for the hills after one or two years seeking greener pastures if he has cracked the rotation yet.

I also think this has nothing at all to do with Duval or Jackson. This is more for 2019-2020 and beyond...

I just noticed that, and it looks like they stole our logo. At first I thought I was watching a photoshop of him with our logo pasted on, but this is actually him in his high school uniform:

B8cZ39CCcAE8oN6.jpg

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I just noticed that, and it looks like they stole our logo. At first I thought I was watching a photoshop of him with our logo pasted on, but this is actually him in his high school uniform:

Lot$ of $chool$ do that. (They look better with our$.)

P$...notice the prominent $wi$he$?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

(1) Quickest commitment/shortest recruitment that I can remember. No recruiting guru even linked Goldwire and Duke before today. Totally out of the blue. Has Coach K and/or his staff been monitoring Goldwire secretly? Who knows, but they could have seen him last summer while scouting O'Connell (who played on the same EBYL team). If there was a long-term contact there, nobody -- and I mean nobody -- even hinted at it before today.

(2) I think he's higher rated that Andre Buckner. But I do think he arrives as a practice player ... hopefully he can develop into a rotation player at some point in his career, especially if the comments about his defense are valid.

(3) I can't see that this has any impact on Duval's decision whatsoever ... Duval is not going to worry about losing any minutes at Duke next season due to Goldwire.

Goldwire is the ninth player signed for next year (Allen, Vrankovic, Bolden, DeLaurier, White, Carter, Trent, O'Connell and Goldwire)

There's still room to add Frank Jackson, if he returns, plus Duval and Knox. Heck, even if Bamba wants to come, there will be a scholarship for him.

The quick recruitment of Goldwire COULD mean that the Duke coaches think either Jackson or Duval will not be there next year, but I think that's a stretch ... he would be a useful practice player either way.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

Not to worry. Duke will have a starting point guard.

I could see him in in late game situations - for ball-handling and free throw shooting if we're up and the opposing team is in trap/foul mode, or for pressure defense and to foul if we are behind.

This is the kind of guy I enjoy rooting for

Welcome Jordan!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    After digesting this news, I've come to the following conclusion: Goldwire will be Duke's version of Spike Albrecht at U of M. The similarities are uncanny in terms of how the recruitments came out of nowhere, possibly driven by uncertainty in the PG position (Michigan got Spike as insurance in case Trey Burke went pro after his freshman year), as well as the player profiles.

If Goodwire becomes Spike I'll be ecstatic. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to Duke, Jordan

Seems he had offers from Eastern Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, Hofstra, Townson, & UNLV, and it was looking like he'd be an EKU Colonel until K called.

I like the idea of having several "program" guys, players who will be there for 4 years, and who will be able to learn and pass on the culture to younger players. Plus, this kid sounds like he relishes defense. That is always a good thing.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil