Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jay Williams in Chess Pro-Am

I thought this was interesting. I was over at Chess.com, and was surprised to see a picture of Jay Williams on the front page. Apparently Chess.com and The Player's Tribune combined forces for a chess pro-am tournament. Jay ended up losing to Larry Johnson.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/athl...yc-pro-am-6813

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Jay ended up losing to Larry Johnson.
    Jay may have lost, but, IMO, that does not make Larry Johnson a winner.

Cool, they have the actual games up on that link. Some terrible chess was played though.

I seem to recall that Jason was captain of his high school chess club. Am I just making that up?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I seem to recall that Jason was captain of his high school chess club. Am I just making that up?
    It doesn't matter. We clearly started the wrong PG. Hurley would have kicked Johnson's backside.

Quote Originally Posted by Li_Duke View Post
    Cool, they have the actual games up on that link. Some terrible chess was played though.
    Man, our very own Jason Evans does it all!

phpX2QpCB.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

i had the exact same thought. if we both have the same vague recollection, it must be right?

Quote Originally Posted by Li_Duke
    yikes! understatement.

Chess smess. Bilas would dominate Pervis in pro-am twister.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It doesn't matter. We clearly started the wrong PG. Hurley would have kicked Johnson's backside.
    Because he played for the Sacramento Kings?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Because he played for the Sacramento Kings?
    Well, like most of his UNLV teammates, Larry was certainly old enough to have been playing in the NBA. However, it was probably a good thing Larry matured before making ~ $100 million in his NBA career, so, he could manage his money prudently and pay to raise his children. It would have been rather pathetic, if Larry ended up declaring bankruptcy and refusing to pay $120k in back child support.

Well, like most of his UNLV teammates, Larry was certainly old enough to have been playing in the NBA. However, it was probably a good thing Larry matured before making ~ $100 million in his NBA career, so, he could manage his money prudently and pay to raise his children. It would have been rather pathetic, if Larry ended up declaring bankruptcy and refusing to pay $120k in back child support.
    I was referring to Bobby Hurley, who played for the Sacramento Kings. Kings-->Chess - you can't beat chess puns...

I was referring to Bobby Hurley, who played for the Sacramento Kings. Kings-->Chess - you can't beat chess puns...
    and, my love for UNLV is still alive and well.

As Roger Murdock said, I'm out there busting my buns every knight. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    As Roger Murdock said, I'm out there busting my buns every knight. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!
    What's your vector, Victor?

Listen, chess is a great game. And to diss anybody about the level of play is not cool. Not an easy game, like golf. and any level of play represents brain power. Respect to JWill.
    ~rthomas

My uncle knew Larry "Grandmama" Johnson back when Larry was a Hornet. Larry even came to my uncles birthday party and played basketball with the kids and signed shirts and hats etc.

I wasn't there, but my uncle still has a pic on his refrigerator of his two kids hanging on Larry Johnson's arms like they're swinging on a tree branch.

He also made a very large donation to the United Way in Charlotte after signing his first contract. People who I knew in Charlotte had lots of good things to say about him.

What's your vector, Victor?
    Surely you can't be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Surely you can't be serious.
    Stop calling me Shirley.

I think I picked a bad week to give up cocaine.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust