Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caldbeck Allegations

This story is gaining steam rapidly in VC / Silicon Valley circles. It's going to be a big deal (and rightfully so).

link

How is this on topic for the EK forum? I get that he got his undergrad from Duke (MBA from Harvard), but I don't think any news articles related to anybody with a Duke connection should be on the basketball forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    How is this on topic for the EK forum? I get that he got his undergrad from Duke (MBA from Harvard), but I don't think any news articles related to anybody with a Duke connection should be on the basketball forum.
    Well, he was on the basketball team, so it's hardly "anyone with a Duke connection"

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Well, he was on the basketball team, so it's hardly "anyone with a Duke connection"
    Hmmm, did not know that. I wasn't paying much attention to Duke basketball in the 90s admittedly, although I see he logged 70 minutes and scored 13 points in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    But it has nothing to do with basketball or anything basketball related.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    But it has nothing to do with basketball or anything basketball related.
    Threads about former basketball players are commonplace on this board (e.g., the current Tatum charity thread), as are even more distant topics like the former Marching Band director. I know the difference is that this is a negative story, but it's an important one.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I had no idea who he was, either, (former walk-on) but JD wrote an article about him and his brother 2 years ago. (A very brief one that links to a longer one.)

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...are-doing-very
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Both Caldbecks were members of the basketball team in the late-90s. The younger Caldbeck was a classmate of mine. For all the talk folks on DBR make about "the walk-ons are part of the team, too", we should do a better job of remembering said walk-ons, no? Especially ones that were walk-ons on some of our best teams.

Justin was a walk-on for the 1999 team (and earlier teams). His younger brother Ryan was a walk-on for the 1999-2001 teams.
    Last edited by CDu; 06-23-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Umm...I don't really have any interest in this topic and haven't read any other news about it, but I did read through most of the article linked at the top of this thread.

It struck me as being written with a particular narrative in mind and the conviction that this story does/will support that narrative.

Maybe it does, but I'm not a fan of that style of reporting, argumentation, or editorializing. It tends to run roughshod over facts.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Umm...I don't really have any interest in this topic and haven't read any other news about it, but I did read through most of the article linked at the top of this thread.

It struck me as being written with a particular narrative in mind and the conviction that this story does/will support that narrative.

Maybe it does, but I'm not a fan of that style of reporting, argumentation, or editorializing. It tends to run roughshod over facts.
    Editorializing is the point of writing an editorial.

I also wondered why the original post in this thread linked to an editorial from Pando rather than the article from The Information, but the latter requires a subscription.

And this is totally Main Forum appropriate, provided we stay within PPB parameters. If we can post about Christian Laettner's business problems (here and here), we can post about this.

There's not much to say. If Caldbeck behaved the way that is alleged -- and there are at least 3 women going on the record that he did -- then hopefully he experiences the appropriate consequences to his career and within the legal system.

It's disappointing that he's a Duke alumnus, but I imagine everyone realizes that every school will have its share of embarrassing alumni.

Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Well, I will say one thing - that's how you do an apology. I would love to know if/who helped him write that. Really can't do a much better job of taking ownership, accepting responsibility, recognizing the importance of these issues, and committing to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    There's not much to say. If Caldbeck behaved the way that is alleged -- and there are at least 3 women going on the record that he did -- then hopefully he experiences the appropriate consequences to his career and within the legal system.

It's disappointing that he's a Duke alumnus, but I imagine everyone realizes that every school will have its share of embarrassing alumni.
    considering that he's already admitted and made an apology, and the number of accusers is now 6 (with pristine credibility), there is little doubt the allegations are true. he is a clown and embarrassment, but, yes, they belong to all schools. unfortunately for duke, he was one of our few leaders in venture capital and many people there probably remember him as the duke basketball guy (its high profile and different). when pj hairston does what he does, he's just another clown basketball player in the world of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    considering that he's already admitted and made an apology, and the number of accusers is now 6 (with pristine credibility), there is little doubt the allegations are true. he is a clown and embarrassment, but, yes, they belong to all schools. unfortunately for duke, he was one of our few leaders in venture capital and many people there probably remember him as the duke basketball guy (its high profile and different). when pj hairston does what he does, he's just another clown basketball player in the world of basketball.
    Given that multiple posters in this thread didn't recognize the name despite two brothers being on high profile teams, will be a blip with respect to Duke basketball.

Laettner and Brian Davis were involved in an SF penthouse a few years ago that initially listed for $70M and eventually sold for $28M (a loss). Nobody cared about Laettner's involvement and the focus was on the initial asking price.

SV has a problem with gender inequity and more specifically within the VC community. Was a recent high profile trial involving termination of a female associate at a very well known VC firm. She was also Asian, which will be a bigger focus than Duke basketball with Caldbeck.

The Uber case is a much bigger story. Hot company and a founder holding 30% of the stock worth $2B being forced out is highly unusual. Binary's assets are $300M.

As noted, other than well liked/respected Tim Cook, Duke has a low profile in SV. The Bain network (Pagliuga) and Wall Street are much deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Given that multiple posters in this thread didn't recognize the name despite two brothers being on high profile teams, will be a blip with respect to Duke basketball.

Laettner and Brian Davis were involved in an SF penthouse a few years ago that initially listed for $70M and eventually sold for $28M (a loss). Nobody cared about Laettner's involvement and the focus was on the initial asking price.

SV has a problem with gender inequity and more specifically within the VC community. Was a recent high profile trial involving termination of a female associate at a very well known VC firm. She was also Asian, which will be a bigger focus than Duke basketball with Caldbeck.

The Uber case is a much bigger story. Hot company and a founder holding 30% of the stock worth $2B being forced out is highly unusual. Binary's assets are $300M.

As noted, other than well liked/respected Tim Cook, Duke has a low profile in SV. The Bain network (Pagliuga) and Wall Street are much deeper.
    agreed - this is a blip for duke basketball and this is just a subplot in the culture problem within silicone valley. i think the $300mm aum undersells binary's profile as it was an up-and-comer (it's like saying brandon ingram hasn't done much in the nba). but, again, the people who knew caldbeck are far more likely to associate him with duke than they are the typical vc with their alma mater.

Dude was a walk on 20 years ago. If folks are interested in his life because of that, ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Dude was a walk on 20 years ago. If folks are interested in his life because of that, ok...
    I'm with you. MEH

There's a thread about the Director's Cup on the board and the link between Stanford's decades' long dominant performance and VC is under reported.

Stanford invested early ('50s/'60s) in office space near campus when HP took off. Helped create the critical mass of innovation which created SV. Tech IPOs exploded in the early '80s and Stanford's academic and athletic endowments grew rapidly as they tapped into that wealth. They have a huge number of teams, almost all of which are completely endowed. Announced last week a new endowment for the women's swimming coach. Duke women's swimming doesn't offer a full complement of scholarships yet, let alone endow them, coaches, and facilities.

Good news for Duke is that the University is now actively partnering with Durham to improve downtown and make it more attractive to innovative start ups. A buddy's on a Duke task force working to build up the infrastructure. There's no mystery why Harvard and Stanford have huge numbers of teams along with massive academic and athletic endowments. Obviously Duke has a long way to go, but they're on the right track and actively working to change the dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm with you. MEH
    Nobody is forcing you to read or post in the thread.