Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Lakers have offered Pacers 27,28 plus Clarkson or Randle for George. Unless Boston offered the 3 pick that's the best deal Pacers will get

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    This is a terrible trade for both sides IMO. The Nets give up their best player by far for a young player who is not living up to the hype and a terrible contract. Also, might I mention that Russell is a point guard, which Lin is also? Who is the ball-dominant? Then the Lakers give up a core piece of their future for an expiring contract. Is this confirmation that they're drafting Ball? I just don't see this working out well for either side.
    Not sure what people were expecting from Russell but he's been pretty darn good so far. Per 36 min: 19.6 pts 6 ast 4.5 reb. Shooting 35% from three. He's only 21.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Lakers have offered Pacers 27,28 plus Clarkson or Randle for George. Unless Boston offered the 3 pick that's the best deal Pacers will get
    If I'm the Pacers, I take it and then go into rebuilding mode. Guess that's why I'm not a GM, though. Might want a little more value, maybe a future first as well.

I just don't see this working out well for either side.
    The Ringer says Lakers clearing cap space for two contracts - George (now if Pacers will trade) and to make a run at LeBron after next season

https://theringer.com/lakers-dangelo...e-258cb7748d2d

MP I to Atlanta

Charlotte gets: Howard and pick #31
    Atlanta gets: Miles Plumlee, Marco Belinelli and pick #41.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    The Dwight Howard homecoming lasted exactly one painful year. It's a pretty sad reflection of how far he's fallen that Miles Plumlee and Marco Belinelli is all he can draw in return (and the Hawks even have to give up ground in a pick swap)

(also, since it's Miles, this is MP1)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The Dwight Howard homecoming lasted exactly one painful year. It's a pretty sad reflection of how far he's fallen that Miles Plumlee and Marco Belinelli is all he can draw in return (and the Hawks even have to give up ground in a pick swap)

(also, since it's Miles, this is MP1)
    I really wish the Hornets wouldn't have traded for him. I think I'd rather have Plumlee and Belinelli. I loved it when Belinelli played for the Spurs. Warriors or Spurs would be perfect team for him with their superb ball movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    My god Howard is worth very little in this league.

It's well known that MP1 has one of the worst contracts in the league (say what you want about Duke players, but they are excellent at negotiating! Singler and MP1 have 2 of the worst contracts in the league and they're getting paid so much to do so little).

I can't believe that Hawks couldn't get at least a first rounder for Howard. How is that possible?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

It's well known that MP1 has one of the worst contracts in the league (say what you want about Duke players, but they are excellent at negotiating! Singler and MP1 have 2 of the worst contracts in the league and they're getting paid so much to do so little).

I can't believe that Hawks couldn't get at least a first rounder for Howard. How is that possible?
    He's a broke down player at this point and has always seemed like a cancer vs a winner.

Lopez to the Lakers, Russell and Mozgov to the Nets

Fair trade by both teams. Nets get the player with more upside (he's still 21), but they are left with a terrible contract (3 years and $49M left). Lakers get a proven low-post player who can't play defense to save his life (Okafor, there is hope for you yet!)

I am really baffled by all these terrible contracts. The more I read about trades, the more I can't understand how you can pay players with PERs <10 over $10M per year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    He's a broke down player at this point and has always seemed like a cancer vs a winner.
    He averaged 13.5 points and 12.7 rebounds per year. His defense is still stellar. He's still very effective as an NBA 5.

But I agree on the cancer part. He's a horrible influence on young players.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    It would be supremely disappointing to Cavs backers (or Kyrie / Dahntay backers, in my case) if Cleveland doesn't beat that offer. Trade Love to a third team and you will have the assets to beat L.A.'s offer. But also, maybe the Pacers want Love and not the assets he's worth.

Re: Love, the Cavs have two guaranteed years with him remaining, and then he has a player option for a 3rd year. Would I trade 2 guaranteed years of Love for 1 guaranteed year of Paul George? Heck, yeah. Lebron has one year remaining with the Cavs. Gotta maximize that year. And maybe, just maybe, George learns to love the Cavs locker room culture and playing with Lebron and Kyrie and/or maybe George is the piece the Cavs need to take the Warriors to 7 games and maybe even win it, and then George and Lebron re-sign with the Cavs.

He turns 32 in December, is a bad offensive player, and really regressed defensively last season.

He averaged 13.5 points and 12.7 rebounds per year. His defense is still stellar. He's still very effective as an NBA 5.

But I agree on the cancer part. He's a horrible influence on young players.
    I think the value of the NBA 5 overall has gone way down vs 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I have never liked him and agree with this post. He reminds me of the line from Bull Durham: He has a Million Dollar Arm and a Twenty Cent Head. Howard has never been a winner and has not, really, improved on his skills during his career - beyond marginal improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I have never liked him and agree with this post. He reminds me of the line from Bull Durham: He has a Million Dollar Arm and a Twenty Cent Head. Howard has never been a winner and has not, really, improved on his skills during his career - beyond marginal improvement.
    He led the Magic to the Finals. Yes - they got swept. But leading your team to the Finals is a helluva accomplishment.

He currently isn't a winner, and your quote still holds, but never calling him a winner is disingenuous (and yes yes...I understand that he didn't WIN the NBA championship with the Magic. But by that definition, every Duke player sans Ferry, Irving, and Battier is in the same boat as Howard).

Let's play the "worst contract in the NBA" game.

I nominate Chandler Parsons, owed $72.3 mil over the next 3 years after putting up a PER of 7.69 this year. Of course he was injured so he has potential to be better in the future.
    MP1 is owed $37.5 mil over the next 3 seasons and had a PER of 8.43
    Singler is owed $9.6 over the next 2 seasons, but basically does not play. His PER was 5.93, but he only played in 32 games.
    How about Luol Deng? He is owed $54 mil for the next 3 years and had a PER of 10.13.

Among non-Dukies, there's Bismack Byombo who is owed $51 mil by the Magic over the next 3 seasons. He averaged 6 ppg and had a PER of 12.2, but his playing time was plummeting late in the season. And, who can forget Joakim Noah. He's making $55.6 mil over the next 3 years... this past season he scored in double figures a grand total of 5 times.

It is worth noting that salaries play a huge role in a trade like this. It is not that Howard was not worth a first rounder, it is that Howard's onerous contract made him a negative asset. If we were merely constructing teams with no regard to salary cap, then Howard would have a lot more worth.

-Jason "stating the obvious, but I felt I needed to say it anyway" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So rumor has it (I don't really trust this) that Jimmy Butler has demanded a trade to the Cavs, probably for KLove. What are y'all's thoughts on this? It would create a superteam, boost the Cavs defense and create another scoring option and probably a better team. However, would the Bulls even go for this? Does this have any chance of happening? The Bulls should do something with Butler, but is this what they should do? Is the Celtics/76ers trade because the Celtics are stocking up for Butler?

So rumor has it (I don't really trust this) that Jimmy Butler has demanded a trade to the Cavs, probably for KLove. What are y'all's thoughts on this? It would create a superteam, boost the Cavs defense and create another scoring option and probably a better team. However, would the Bulls even go for this? Does this have any chance of happening? The Bulls should do something with Butler, but is this what they should do? Is the Celtics/76ers trade because the Celtics are stocking up for Butler?
    Not sure where you heard that rumor, but it is inconsistent with pretty much everything that has been said regarding Butler. All the rumors I've seen say that Butler wants to stay with Chicago. This rumor sounds either made up or that you misheard what the actual rumors are.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not sure where you heard that rumor, but it is inconsistent with pretty much everything that has been said regarding Butler. All the rumors I've seen say that Butler wants to stay with Chicago. This rumor sounds either made up or that you misheard what the actual rumors are.
    Uh, yeah. There is no such rumor that Butler is demanding Cleveland.

Please provide a link or a tweet or something, drummerdevil, as I've been following closely on line all week and have seen nothing like the rumor you are referencing.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...erest-jimmy-b/

The Chicago sun times has since deleted (altered) the orginal article, but the quote remains in this one.

From what I saw it went from...
    Butler wanting to go to the cavs to butler saying he doesn't want to go to the cavs to cav players telling him to stay away. All rumors. Who knows