Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm the party pooper here. I wouldn't watch more than five minutes of 3on3. Sounds cuckoo.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Test post
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Q10. E. None of the above.
    You realize that this test is from 2003, when the correct answer was C. 65 (the tourney had a one-game play-in game).

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Can colleges create a 3x3 basketball team and give out scholarships? Undoubtedly they would not be allowed to play 5x5 basketball while on 3x3 scholarship, but they could practice with the 5x5 team for a year or 2 while on 3x3 scholarship, and then switch to 5x5.
    Not too many colleges use up all their scholarships (especially on the women's side where it's 15 instead of 13) so they could probably redshirt 5x5 players who were only playing 3x3. I guess it would be like Sand Volleyball being added as a NCAA sport. The main issue would be facilities though, which would probably prevent a lot of schools from adding it even if the NCAA did. Interestingly, USA Basketball invited Pac 12 schools to send women's teams to the national championship to fill up some of the spots and they did so this year. There are men's teams around the world that play pro 3x3 all year around, but not as many Americans. As a result, it is hard to get players who are in the middle of their seasons to play in the current national championship. Presumably this system would change with the Olympic announcement.

Me, Kyrie Irving and Stephen Curry. And any points I may score don't count.
    Last edited by rthomas; 06-11-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    In 3 on 3 basketball it's all about Iso play and in the case of shots being counted as 1s and 2s then the 3-pt shot becomes even more valuable.
    I think it will be mostly iso but with a lot of pick and roll mixed in as well. Transition game is obviously nonexistent. And yes, you definitely need three guys capable of hitting the long-range shot since it's worth twice as much.

My best team would be LeBron, Durant and Curry. A little weak from long range but that's three guys who are basically impossible to stop one on one. Curry could run the pick and roll with either guy, and you'd have plenty of defense and rebounding.

Of course, one of my favorite strategies when playing NBA Jam was to go super big and play Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson and just control the paint and grab all the rebounds. So that's an option too.

This is a half-court game. A big guy need not run at all, just stay under the basket. He needs to be quick enough to guard his man, but needn't be a gazelle running up and down the floor.

Send over Kobe Iverson and Shaq

This scoring system seems loony. I looked into it, and you get one free throw for a foul on a shot inside the arc, until you get to foul #7, at which point you get 2 shots, and at foul #10 you get two shots and the ball.

Given the rules here:

1. Provided you have a team with 3 guys who are 40% from behind the arc (i.e., plenty of NBA players), you should only shoot behind the arc, unless you have an 80%+ shot from inside the arc...which is basically limited to uncontested dunks and layups. These scoring rules may work in the YMCA, but if you have Steph Curry on your team, even if you shoot 80% from inside the arc, you are harming your team.

2. Fouls are punished heavily and there is basically incentive NOT to contest inside shots at all, especially once you get to that 7th foul. Your best defensive strategy at that point is probably just to give the other team an open dunk every time unless you're way behind because the cost of a foul is enormous.

3. Defensively, you want to heavily contest shots behind the arc, so the entire game is going to basically be played at the arc, with I would imagine offensive sets intended to free up an open 3 point shooter. Early on, you have to guard against open shots at the rim and try to force guys into mid-range 2's. I guess in some ways this is how the NBA game is played today, but turned up to an extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    This scoring system seems loony. I looked into it, and you get one free throw for a foul on a shot inside the arc, until you get to foul #7, at which point you get 2 shots, and at foul #10 you get two shots and the ball.

Given the rules here:

1. Provided you have a team with 3 guys who are 40% from behind the arc (i.e., plenty of NBA players), you should only shoot behind the arc, unless you have an 80%+ shot from inside the arc...which is basically limited to uncontested dunks and layups. These scoring rules may work in the YMCA, but if you have Steph Curry on your team, even if you shoot 80% from inside the arc, you are harming your team.

2. Fouls are punished heavily and there is basically incentive NOT to contest inside shots at all, especially once you get to that 7th foul. Your best defensive strategy at that point is probably just to give the other team an open dunk every time unless you're way behind because the cost of a foul is enormous.

3. Defensively, you want to heavily contest shots behind the arc, so the entire game is going to basically be played at the arc, with I would imagine offensive sets intended to free up an open 3 point shooter. Early on, you have to guard against open shots at the rim and try to force guys into mid-range 2's. I guess in some ways this is how the NBA game is played today, but turned up to an extreme.
    I played 3 on 3 basketball about 20 years ago and a very similar scoring system was used. Easy layup opportunities occur off of players falling asleep when teams quickly transition from offense to defense. But I agree with your point, a good numbrr of those open lanes to the basket will be ignored for a chance at an open 3 from the international line.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I played 3 on 3 basketball about 20 years ago and a very similar scoring system was used. Easy layup opportunities occur off of players falling asleep when teams quickly transition from offense to defense. But I agree with your point, a good numbrr of those open lanes to the basket will be ignored for a chance at an open 3 from the international line.
    Yeah, it's different when you're playing with a bunch of guys who are probably lucky to hit 25% of their threes, if that.

Making up fake 3x3 may be more fun than the actual event as the internet found out this week by joking that the 4 Balls should be a team.

Here are some that I came up with (not all are completely possible):
    Duke and Nigeria: Rasheed Sulaimon, Michael Gbinije, Sean Obi, Jahlil Okafor
    Basketball Boom Babies (American fathers playing in Australia's Basketball Boom who had children there): Kyrie Irving, Dante Exum, Ben Simmons, Jonah Bolden
    Tongan Trident (find this team a guard please): Isaac Fotu, Jabari Parker, Steven Adams, and Moala Tautuaa
    Bahamian Rhapsody: Buddy Hield, Eric Gordon, Klay Thompson, DeAndre Ayton
    Puerto Rican Dreams (Taj Gibson was apparently unable to prove that he had a Puerto Rican grandparent): Shabazz Napier, Devin Booker, Moe Harkless, Carmelo Anthony
    Hoops United (Kyle Anderson's Chinese heritage seems insufficiently confirmed to me and a played nicknamed Slo-Mo seems problematic for this format): Jeremy Lin, Ding Yanyuhang (a name that might be familiar come next NBA season), Joe Alexander (born on Taiwan), Yi Jianlian
    Cameroon Eagles: J.P. Tokoto, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Pascal Siakam, Joel Embiid
    Filipino Four-ce: Aaron Craft, Jordan Clarkson, Christian Stanhardinger, Andray Blatche
    Bay Area Brilliance: Damian Lillard, Tyler Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Aaron Gordon
    Sacramento Snipers: Matt Barnes, Ryan Anderson, Marquese Chriss, Festus Ezeli
    Freshly Fresno: Quincy Pondexter, Greg Smith, Brook Lopex, Robin Lopez
    Roy's Doghouse: Larry Drew II, P.J. Hairston, Travis Wear, David Wear
    Escaped from Chapel Hill: Rashad McCants, Rodney Bullock, J.P. Tokoto, Tony Bradley
    Gott's Gone Guys: Cat Barber, Lorenzo Brown, Trevor Lacey, C.J. Leslie

Anyone have any creative ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Making up fake 3x3 may be more fun than the actual event as the internet found out this week by joking that the 4 Balls should be a team.

Here are some that I came up with (not all are completely possible):
    Duke and Nigeria: Rasheed Sulaimon, Michael Gbinije, Sean Obi, Jahlil Okafor
    Basketball Boom Babies (American fathers playing in Australia's Basketball Boom who had children there): Kyrie Irving, Dante Exum, Ben Simmons, Jonah Bolden
    Tongan Trident (find this team a guard please): Isaac Fotu, Jabari Parker, Steven Adams, and Moala Tautuaa
    Bahamian Rhapsody: Buddy Hield, Eric Gordon, Klay Thompson, DeAndre Ayton
    Puerto Rican Dreams (Taj Gibson was apparently unable to prove that he had a Puerto Rican grandparent): Shabazz Napier, Devin Booker, Moe Harkless, Carmelo Anthony
    Hoops United (Kyle Anderson's Chinese heritage seems insufficiently confirmed to me and a played nicknamed Slo-Mo seems problematic for this format): Jeremy Lin, Ding Yanyuhang (a name that might be familiar come next NBA season), Joe Alexander (born on Taiwan), Yi Jianlian
    Cameroon Eagles: J.P. Tokoto, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Pascal Siakam, Joel Embiid
    Filipino Four-ce: Aaron Craft, Jordan Clarkson, Christian Stanhardinger, Andray Blatche
    Bay Area Brilliance: Damian Lillard, Tyler Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Aaron Gordon
    Sacramento Snipers: Matt Barnes, Ryan Anderson, Marquese Chriss, Festus Ezeli
    Freshly Fresno: Quincy Pondexter, Greg Smith, Brook Lopex, Robin Lopez
    Roy's Doghouse: Larry Drew II, P.J. Hairston, Travis Wear, David Wear
    Escaped from Chapel Hill: Rashad McCants, Rodney Bullock, J.P. Tokoto, Tony Bradley
    Gott's Gone Guys: Cat Barber, Lorenzo Brown, Trevor Lacey, C.J. Leslie

Anyone have any creative ideas?
    Stormin' Mormons: Frank Jackson, Jabari Parker, Jimmer Fredette, Mark "the mad dog" Madsen...

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    While it is fun to speculate which NBA players could make up the best 3 on 3 team, I would be willing to bet that there are some serious blacktop players out there that would dominate them 3 on 3. It will be interesting to see how the team(s) are chosen. If it is an open competition, we may end up with teams consisting of players that few of us have heard of before. Of course they would get famous quickly and that would lead to some interesting developments - endorsements, NBA contracts, etc. There is a subset of amazingly talented outdoor basketball players out there that could flourish in this type of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    While it is fun to speculate which NBA players could make up the best 3 on 3 team, I would be willing to bet that there are some serious blacktop players out there that would dominate them 3 on 3.
    Let's get a team of The Professor, Hot Sauce, and the Main Event and enter them in this thing. I know I'd watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    While it is fun to speculate which NBA players could make up the best 3 on 3 team, I would be willing to bet that there are some serious blacktop players out there that would dominate them 3 on 3. It will be interesting to see how the team(s) are chosen. If it is an open competition, we may end up with teams consisting of players that few of us have heard of before. Of course they would get famous quickly and that would lead to some interesting developments - endorsements, NBA contracts, etc. There is a subset of amazingly talented outdoor basketball players out there that could flourish in this type of competition.
    No . . . they would not "dominate" the best NBA players. They might win a single game because they know 3 on 3 schemes and have set plays, but the massive gap in talent would cripple any chance they would have to put up a serious fight. It's basketball, not some completely different sport. You put Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, and Klay Thompson out there against some blacktop guys, and you think they would lose? Not a chance. There might be some talented guys out there who are good enough to play in the NBA, but put them against 2 or 3 former MVPs, and they would get crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    No . . . they would not "dominate" the best NBA players. They might win a single game because they know 3 on 3 schemes and have set plays, but the massive gap in talent would cripple any chance they would have to put up a serious fight. It's basketball, not some completely different sport. You put Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, and Klay Thompson out there against some blacktop guys, and you think they would lose? Not a chance. There might be some talented guys out there who are good enough to play in the NBA, but put them against 2 or 3 former MVPs, and they would get crushed.
    Completely agree--this is the "squash" or "handball" argument...put a professional tennis player on the squash court with a savvy squash player and, despite the enormous talent gap in general racket sports, the squash player would have a major advantage because of strategy and quirks of the game. Same goes for professional football and/or basketball players in Olympic handball.

HOWEVER, as Kaze correctly points out, this isn't a different sport we're discussing. The 3pt line may be different, the size of the basketball might be slightly different, the strategy might differ some. But ultimately, the best NBA guys would still have tremendous advantages in virtually every conceivable facet of the game. Given a few weeks or months to refine team chemistry and strategy, and it's tough to imagine a scenario in which the NBA guys would be outmatched.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Completely agree--this is the "squash" or "handball" argument...put a professional tennis player on the squash court with a savvy squash player and, despite the enormous talent gap in general racket sports, the squash player would have a major advantage because of strategy and quirks of the game. Same goes for professional football and/or basketball players in Olympic handball.

HOWEVER, as Kaze correctly points out, this isn't a different sport we're discussing. The 3pt line may be different, the size of the basketball might be slightly different, the strategy might differ some. But ultimately, the best NBA guys would still have tremendous advantages in virtually every conceivable facet of the game. Given a few weeks or months to refine team chemistry and strategy, and it's tough to imagine a scenario in which the NBA guys would be outmatched.
    This is actually one of the strangest aspects of 3x3--it uses a unique ball:

"The Wilson Labs innovation team and FIBA 3×3 collaborated to construct a new and state-of-the-art game ball that would enhance player performance on the court. The new Official FIBA 3×3 Game Ball is now the same size as an intermediate basketball, also known as a size 6 basketball. However, it weighs as much as an official game basketball, known as a size 7." [Source]

Size 6 is the ball used in women's games, and size 7 is the ball used in men's games. So the 3x3 ball is the size of a women's-game basketball, but has the weight of the ball used in the men's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    This is actually one of the strangest aspects of 3x3--it uses a unique ball:

"The Wilson Labs innovation team and FIBA 3×3 collaborated to construct a new and state-of-the-art game ball that would enhance player performance on the court. The new Official FIBA 3×3 Game Ball is now the same size as an intermediate basketball, also known as a size 6 basketball. However, it weighs as much as an official game basketball, known as a size 7." [Source]

Size 6 is the ball used in women's games, and size 7 is the ball used in men's games. So the 3x3 ball is the size of a women's-game basketball, but has the weight of the ball used in the men's game.
    That is unbelievably dumb. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to use a ball that nobody else uses for any other sport? All that's doing is making the sport less accessible and more niche.

I would bet a lot of the best shots in this format will come right off of rebounds, both offensive and defensive. That's your best chance to get a wide open 3 point shooter. So, I gotta think rebounding is huge because it's going to lead directly to offense. I mean, in the NBA, how often do you see a great shot come right off an offensive rebound? Happens all the time. Well, now it can happen on any rebound.

So, you want 3 point shooters, but all things being equal, if you can get a 3 point shooter who can also rebound, you're in business. Even more so if they can defend the 3. For the most part, the best players here are going to be the best players in the league, but somebody like DeMar Derozan, who averaged 27 pts in the NBA this year...he can take his midrange game somewhere else. Lebron, Durant, and Steph Curry are all obvious picks, but after that I think I'd go with Kawhi and Paul George.