Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

3 x 3 basketball to be played in the Olympics

3 x 3 hoops, which is essentially the official form of half court hoops, is now an Olympic sport.

https://www.usab.com/mens/3x3.aspx

It's very cool and I wonder if becoming an Olympic sport will draw more of our marquee players to this exciting format

The game is played on a half court, a size 6 ball is used for all competitions and teams are made up of three or four players (three on the court, one substitute).
    -There is a 10-minute clock, which is stopped for dead balls and free throws.
    -The first team to 21 points, or the team ahead at the end of 10 minutes, is the winner.
    -There is a 12 second shot clock
    -A field goal inside the arc is worth one point, a field goal outside the arc is worth two points and a free throw is worth one point.
    -After six team fouls, an additional free throw is awarded. At the 10th team foul and beyond, the opposing team is awarded two free throws and gets the ball back.
    -If there is a tie, the first team to score two points in overtime wins the game.
    -After a made field goal, the opposing team must dribble or pass the ball beyond the arc before attempting to score.
    -For a missed field goal, if the offensive team gets the rebound it may continue to try to score without returning the ball to beyond the arc. If the defensive team gets the rebound or gets
    a steal, it must get the ball beyond the arc before attempting to score.
    -Substitutions can be done at anytime when the ball is dead, prior to the check-ball. One teammate must leave the court prior to his/her teammate entering the court.
    -Like tennis, no on court coaching allowed

Here's USA vs Serbia during last year's World Cup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9M4XiaqLM

Coming to the 2020 Olympics: 3-on-3 basketball!

This is going to be AWESOME!! The Olympic Committee says there will be an 8-team 3-on-3 tournament in the 2020 Olympics.

Each match lasts a maximum of 10 minutes, with a 12-second shot clock. It is played on half a court, with one hoop. There is no halftime, and no quarters or no time-outs. And it is typically accompanied by non-stop music, DJs and break-dancers. Basketball 3x3 is set to make quite an entrance at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
    And, in case you think the US will win easily...
    The U.S. will totally dominate, right?

Maybe. But keep in mind that the rest of the world has been playing this style of ball for years now — there’s an entire 3-on-3 worldwide tour that culminates this fall in Beijing. Overconfidence about America’s basketball abilities versus the rest of the world has gotten Team USA in trouble before.

Come on. We roll out Russell Westbrook, James Harden, KD and …

Theoretically, yeah, but those cats will likely either be taking some time off or playing for Team USA. That leaves the door open for recent retirees, undrafted college greats, and playground icons to scrap for spots on the team. (Each team has four players, three starters and one substitute, meaning everybody gets plenty of PT.)
    -Jason "I can't wait!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The fact that we both started that thread at the same time is BIZARRE

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is going to be AWESOME!! The Olympic Committee says there will be an 8-team 3-on-3 tournament in the 2020 Olympics.

Coach K would use a 3 1/2 man bench.

Would there be a use for a "stretch 2?"

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Earlier this year a league called Big3 - www.big3.com - was launched, possibly with this in mind, though the rules are somewhat different. There are some very impressive former players involved as players and/or coaches - Iverson, Dr. J, Gervin, Drexler, Gary Payton, and our very own Corey Maggette. It looks like it was founded by Roger Mason Jr (of UVA) and Ice Cube, with Amy Trask, formerly CEO of the Raiders, as CEO.

So do players call their own fouls?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Coach K would use a 3 1/2 man bench.

Would there be a use for a "stretch 2?"
    A 3.5 man rotation would be okay if K would just use a 1-2 zone more often. So stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    A 3.5 man rotation would be okay if K would just use a 1-2 zone more often. So stubborn.
    Would Pitino and/or Beilein use a 1-1-1 half court zone press?

Phil Jackson would like it as they are theoretically always playing a triangle offense

Team Uke (no D)

Jabari Parker, Kyrie Irving, Jahlil Okafor

I'd watch it.

Apparently it's not makeit-takeit. So turnovers/DRs aren't a huge deal like in playground 3x3.

Given that rule, I would draft Curry #1, or maybe Harden depending on refs. The scoring rules are equivalent to having a 4pt line in the NBA, or having FTs count 2x in the bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Would Pitino and/or Beilein use a 1-1-1 half court zone press?
    They would, and Tony Bennett uses his famed Crowd Line defense.

Sounds like a fun game to watch but I'm not sure that adding more sports is what the Olympics needs to do. Pretty soon the number of participating athletes and coaches are going to out number the number of attendees. The costs of holding 18,621 different events is going to make hosting the games to costly to host. Ok, I'm off my soap box. Sign up Irving, Ingram and MP2. I would put Parker instead of Ingram if he was currently healthy although Ingram does offer more on the defensive end (is end the correct word in half court?).

My real dream team would probably be Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, and Curry, with Kyrie off the bench. LeBron will be 35 in 2020.

But if this is like beach volleyball, and Team USA can qualify multiple teams, it will get REALLY interesting. I'm definitely going to watch the entire tournament.

Also, could you imagine a KD/Russ/Harden reunion tour? This could be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Here's USA vs Serbia during last year's World Cup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9M4XiaqLM
    Yea, pretty sure about any medium level NBA squad would wax these guys. The skill level there is not NBA caliber at all or close to it. It does look like a fast paced and physical game with a lot of isolation 1 on 1 so a group of like Irving, Harden, and Durant would destroy teams.

The Canadian take

The CBC has really given this some thought:

United States

Curry, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard.

Despite his unique skills, LeBron James doesn't hit threes well enough to make this team. James Harden and Russell Westbrook are good scorers, but also too ball-dominant for a team that already has Curry and Durant. Thus, Leonard gets on — he's the best perimeter defender in the NBA, he hits 39 per cent of his long-distance shots, and he's comfortable playing off the ball. The U.S. talent pool is so deep that the 10th-best American team is probably still the gold-medal favourite in this tournament.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...ball-1.4151197

The real shame of this is it will be ruined by the .6 and done players.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    The CBC has really given this some thought:

United States

Curry, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard.

Despite his unique skills, LeBron James doesn't hit threes well enough to make this team. James Harden and Russell Westbrook are good scorers, but also too ball-dominant for a team that already has Curry and Durant. Thus, Leonard gets on — he's the best perimeter defender in the NBA, he hits 39 per cent of his long-distance shots, and he's comfortable playing off the ball. The U.S. talent pool is so deep that the 10th-best American team is probably still the gold-medal favourite in this tournament.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...ball-1.4151197
    Yeah- I think this is a ridiculous way to give the US another gold medal. This made-up sport in an Olympic sport but cricket isn't? Congrats, Olympic committee - taking another step to look as inept as Fifa.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Will NBA players participate?

FIBA has hosted three 3x3 world cups (2012, 2014, and 2016), and the sport has been around much longer than that. Zero NBA players have participated. Why are we assuming NBA guys will play in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yeah- I think this is a ridiculous way to give the US another gold medal. This made-up sport in an Olympic sport but cricket isn't? Congrats, Olympic committee - taking another step to look as inept as Fifa.
    It's definitely not LESS ridiculous than 32 swimming events (16 for both men and women) in the Olympics, or the fact that there are 4 different volleyball events compared to 2 for basketball/soccer, which are immeasurably more popular sports around the world.

More basketball (especially during the summer) is A-OK by me.