Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bolden invited to tryout for U-19 team.

If he makes it and plays great D in 2017-18, Cal gets the credit.
    If he gets cut, Cal did it to keep Duke from getting better.
    If Knox makes it and Bolden gets Cut, Cal sends a message to the undecided recruits about where their bread is buttered.

In all seriousness, I really hope he makes it.

This tidbit caught my eye:

Invitations for the training camp were issued by the USA Basketball Men's Junior National Team committee, of which Duke legend Shane Battier is in his first year as player representative.
    An interesting move for Shane. We have joked about Battier's post-basketball career for years (I'm looking forward to the "Battier mispronounces Bush" thread during Shane's turn in the Oval Office); I look forward to seeing where this goes.

As for Bolden, I assume he will get a look as a pure C. For a 12 man team, I assume they will take at most 2 centers (with 1 or 2 PFs that could slide over).

Do we know the list of invites? I wonder what his competition is.

I would love to see Marques grab a spot on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

Do we know the list of invites? I wonder what his competition is.

I would love to see Marques grab a spot on the team.
    Twenty eight players were invited to try out:

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...-invitees.aspx
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Twenty eight players were invited to try out:

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...-invitees.aspx
    There's a kid from Cathedral on the list? "Brandon McCoy (Cathedral Catholic H.S/San Diego, Calif.)"

And yet they still lost to St. Augustine (66-44) in the matchup of local catholic schools.

Hmmm.

Colorado in June.

Egypt in July.

DR in August.

Well traveled young man.

Wonder how many of the 28 invitees are being recruited by calipari?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Hmmm.

Colorado in June.

Egypt in July.

DR in August.

Well traveled young man.

Wonder how many of the 28 invitees are being recruited by calipari?
    This was the most anticipated invite list for me this summer in part due to this reason. There are five recruitable kids on the list. Reddish and Quickly appear to be targets for lots of people with intrigue around Bol Bol. Langford and King also appear to be being recruited.

Calipari will have a lot of hard work ahead of him. As expected, there is plenty of turnover from the squad that qualified. Fultz and Allen are in the draft. The Texas trio is skipping and it would interesting to see if Shaka Smart not being the coach again was a factor. Green will be missing, which I am guessing his coach would understand. Porter and Walker are also not on the list. Fortunately for him, Diallo left the draft along with Washington returning and Knox adding to the Kentucky contingent. The other returnees are Huerter and Young. Depending on how strong Canada's squad is, they should be considered the main competition with the European powers likely to be weaker than some past editions. It will be interesting to see if Calipari coaches against his players with Shai Alexander figuring to be involved along with Tai Wynyard.

Bolden should have the edge when it comes to experience. Mitchell Robinson is very talented though and Brandon McCoy and Jeremiah Tilmon figure to also be in competition with Bol Bol as the wild card. Austin Wiley is also a center even though he is shorter than some of the others.

Bolden is under 19?
    ~rthomas

U19

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Bolden is under 19?
    U19 is 19 and under. I don't know why it isn't 19U. Probably the metric system or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Bolden is under 19?
    Poking around google, apparently your age on Dec 31 determines which group you are in for the following year. Got this from a FAQ for Team USA Field Hockey as I couldn't readily find one on mobile specific to basketball.

Of note, Duke is heavily recruiting Cam Reddish and Tre Jones (of the Stones family) which are on the list of invitees. Reddish has long been a top 10 recruit and Jones has had a spectacular EYBL season. Scout has moved him into their top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Of note, Duke is heavily recruiting Cam Reddish and Tre Jones (of the Stones family) which are on the list of invitees. Reddish has long been a top 10 recruit and Jones has had a spectacular EYBL season. Scout has moved him into their top 10.
    We are heavily recruiting Tre Jones. But he is not on the roster linked above by Bob Green.

Confusion with Trae Young, who will be a freshman at Oklahoma this fall? He is on the tryout roster
    Last edited by tbyers11; 06-09-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    We are heavily recruiting Tre Jones. But he is not on the roster linked above by Bob Green.

Confusion with Trae Young, who will be a freshman at Oklahoma this fall? He is on the tryout roster
    Yeah I should definitely read more carefully, I saw Trae, thought I saw Tre and assumed Jones. Need to get more sleep!

A late change is made before Sunday's tryouts. Jordan Brown steps in as Trae Young and Jeremiah Tilmon bow out:
    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...oster-add.aspx

Hopefully it's nothing or a minor injury.

Luke WinnVerified account @lukewinn 10m10 minutes ago
    Seems that Duke's Marques Bolden is hurting at U19s. Didn't look serious, but disappeared to training rm during PM session after struggling

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Hopefully it's nothing or a minor injury.

Luke WinnVerified account @lukewinn 10m10 minutes ago
    Seems that Duke's Marques Bolden is hurting at U19s. Didn't look serious, but disappeared to training rm during PM session after struggling
    Wait for it...

It's over.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Wait for it...

It's over.
    We need to check Cameron's floor.

All kidding aside, though, hopefully Marques is okay.

The cutdown from 27 to 16 is tomorrow. He's unlikely to make the cut, but if he leaves Colorado healthy, I'm good.

Hopefully a minor "hip issue." As for being cut, meh. After we found out that Duke was going to take our own little foreign trip, I don't mind having Marques back at Duke in July bonding with his teammates, preparing for the DR trip, instead of going to Egypt.

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC 7m7 minutes ago
    Calipari said Marques Bolden had a hip issue tonight. I suspect he ain't long for this USA camp.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Wait for it...

It's over.
    Now it is to early to be over but I came here fully expecting a vigil. I think it would have been the earliest ever.

😃😃😃😎

Proof that he was actually there:
    https://www.usab.com/~/media/6a4144f...shx?as=1&iar=1