Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I'm going to have anxiety the rest of the draft now about having a meeting or something and not being able to make my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    I'm going to have anxiety the rest of the draft now about having a meeting or something and not being able to make my pick.
    I would recommend you stick to having virtual anxiety about the mock draft in case you lose virtual sporks and leave the real anxiety for your actual life, though you may want to try to stick to mock stress if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    This should be a non issue though. Just pm Jason or whomever and tell them your top 2 or 3 guys and have them make the selection for you. You can do a write up for the pick later.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Round 1
    1. Boston - flyingdutchdevil: Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington
    2. LA Lakers - Troublemaker: Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
    3. Philadelphia - Gooch: Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas
    4. Phoenix - pfrduke: De'Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
    5. Sacramento - gocanes0506: Jayson Tatum, F Duke
    6. Orlando - NashvilleDevil: Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky
    7. Minnesota - drummerdevil: Jonathan Isaac, F, FSU
    8. New York - Ichabod Drain: Dennis Smith, PG, NC State
    9. Dallas - brevity: Frank Ntilikina, PG, Belgium
    10. Sacramento - gocanes0506: Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona
    11. Charlotte - mattman91: Zach Collins, C, Gonzaga
    12. Detroit - BD80: Luke Kennard, SG, Duke
    13. Denver NSDukeFan: Harry Giles, PF, Duke
    14. Miami - Newton 14: John Collins, PF/C, Wake Forest
    15. Portland - Henderson: TJ Leaf, PF UCLA
    16. Chicago - atoomer0881: Terrance Ferguson, SG, Australia
    17. Milwaukee - kAzE: Donovan Mitchell, SG, Lousiville
    18. Indiana - Edouble: Dwayne Bacon, SG/SF FSU
    19. Atlanta - Jason Evans: OG Anunoby, SF Indiana
    20. Portland - Henderson: Jonathan Jeanne, PF Guadaloupe
    21. Oklahoma Cty - Dev11
    22. Brooklyn - Bob Green
    23. Toronto - Nrrrrvous
    24. Utah - Furniture
    25. Orlando - NashvilleDevil
    26. Portland - Henderson
    27. Brooklyn - Bob Green
    28. LA Lakers - Troublemaker
    29. San Antonio - JNort
    30. Utah - Furniture

Round 2
    1. Atlanta - Jason Evans
    2. Phoenix - pfrduke
    3. Orlando - NashvilleDevil
    4. Sacramento - gocanes0506
    5. Orlando - NashvilleDevil
    6. Philadelphia - Gooch
    7. Boston - flyingdutchdevil
    8. Chicago - atoomer0881
    9. Philadelphia - Gooch
    10. New Orleans - awhom111
    11. Charlotte - mattman91
    12. Utah - Furniture
    13. Houston - duketaylor
    14. New York - Ichabod Drain
    15. Houston - duketaylor
    16. Philadelphia - Gooch
    17. Indiana - Edouble
    18. Milwaukee - kAzE
    19. Denver - NSDukeFan
    20. Philadelphia - Gooch
    21. Denver - NSDukeFan
    22. Washington - jjredickrules
    23. Boston - flyingdutchdevil
    24. Phoenix - pfrduke
    25. Utah - Furniture
    26. Boston - flyingdutchdevil
    27. Brooklyn - Bob Green
    28. New York - Ichabod Drain
    29. San Antonio - JNort
    30. Atlanta - Jason Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-09-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So, what are the odds that Edouble makes his pick and then something comes up that forces me to delay my pick tomorrow? 70%? 90%? 112%?

I'm probably going to get a tumor and be sent to the hospital, sending the entire mock draft into chaos... yup, it might be a tumor.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Keep. Paul. George.

The first round of the NBA Draft is traditionally used to find the next franchise superstar. Indiana is in an interesting situation, in that they have a superstar in Paul George, they just somehow have to keep him from going to the Lakers next season.

With George's trade value plummeting on reports that he yearns to play in LA(L), the Pacers are in win-now mode, in the hopes that PG13 will have a change of heart and re-sign with Indy in the 2018 offseason.

George, PF Thaddeus Young, C Myles Turner, and oft maligned PG Jeff Teague, are the heart of the Pacers.

Help at any position would be welcome at this point, with former league standouts like Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, and Lance Stephenson (yes, he's a Pacer again if you missed it) turning in sub-par seasons in 2016-17.

Feeling some pressure to take hometown favorite Og Anunoby from IU, or the low skill but high potential Bam Adebayo, per the MO outlined above (win now, keep Paul George) and with the first shocker pick of the draft, the Indiana Pacers select Dwayne Bacon from Florida State University with the #18 pick.

Indiana believes that Bacon is NBA ready and has the ability to make an impact from year one in the league. If he is as good as hoped, by the All-Star break, he should allow Ellis to come off the bench as a PG/SG supersub, and allow the Pacers to package some of their backcourt depth (Aaron Brooks, Glenn Robinson III, CJ Miles) for veteran frontcourt help.

Jason, you're up. And if you select for our Hawks at 10:01 or later, God help you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Keep. Paul. George.

The first round of the NBA Draft is traditionally used to find the next franchise superstar. Indiana is in an interesting situation, in that they have a superstar in Paul George, they just somehow have to keep him from going to the Lakers next season.

With George's trade value plummeting on reports that he yearns to play in LA(L), the Pacers are in win-now mode, in the hopes that PG13 will have a change of heart and re-sign with Indy in the 2018 offseason.

George, PF Thaddeus Young, C Myles Turner, and oft maligned PG Jeff Teague, are the heart of the Pacers.

Help at any position would be welcome at this point, with former league standouts like Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, and Lance Stephenson (yes, he's a Pacer again if you missed it) turning in sub-par seasons in 2016-17.

Feeling some pressure to take hometown favorite Og Anunoby from IU, or the low skill but high potential Bam Adebayo, per the MO outlined above (win now, keep Paul George) and with the first shocker pick of the draft, the Indiana Pacers select Dwayne Bacon from Florida State University with the #18 pick.

Indiana believes that Bacon is NBA ready and has the ability to make an impact from year one in the league. If he is as good as hoped, by the All-Star break, he should allow Ellis to come off the bench as a PG/SG supersub, and allow the Pacers to package some of their backcourt depth (Aaron Brooks, Glenn Robinson III, CJ Miles) for veteran frontcourt help.

Jason, you're up. And if you select for our Hawks at 10:01 or later, God help you sir.
    Glad it's not me, I won't be up and about till near 11.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    ...with the first shocker pick of the draft, the Indiana Pacers select Dwayne Bacon from Florida State University with the #18 pick.
    It's JasonEvans. I've hacked into brevity's account to say this to you: For a fellow Atlanta Hawks fan, you sure have ruined everything.

The best place for Bacon to go was my Hawks. Nay, OUR Hawks. One of their assistant coaches is Darvin Ham. Darvin Ham! Who better to coach Bacon than Ham? Grrr. I hope the real Atlanta GM gets a chance to do what I could not.

-Jason "Checking the Plaza Theatre schedule right now for a Joseph Bologna Film Retrospective" Evans

#19 Atlanta Hawks OG Anunoby, F Indiana

I will post a full explanation of this pick tomorrow.

#20 -- Portland -- Jonathan Jeanne, Guadaloupe

This guy is over 7' in socks, has a 7'-6" wing span, moves with incredible grace and fluidity around the court, and can hit jump shots. His shot even looks pretty smooth. He's super thin and only 19 years old, so he will be a project. But his upside is too great. In two years, we may have a 7-2 stretch 4 on offense who can swat away anything close to the rim on defense. In the meantime, we'll get him some Voodoo Doughnuts, Burgerville shakes, and decent coaching for the first time in his life. He'll probably play in Europe again next year, except he'll get some PT on a decent team this time.

Did I mention he's over 7' tall and can hit jump shots?

Hello
    I am in transit from India so if it gets to Utah this Friday afternoon just to be clear I will not be able to document my pick until about 7.00pm this Friday.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

LaRue Martin, Sam Bowie, Greg Oden, now this.

Literally 20 minutes after drafting Jeanne at #20, I learned that he has just been diagnosed with Marfan syndrome, a disease that affects the body's connective tiissue. He may never play basketball again.

If this had been the real draft, the pick never would have happened. Jeanne's physical at the combine showed a need to follow up, and it was the pre-draft follow up that showed the diagnosis.

This is what I get for being conscientious and posting my pick at 1 a.m. my time rather than reading the morning paper first, but I dared not risk oversleeping given recent events.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post

Literally 20 minutes after drafting Jeanne at #20, I learned that he has just been diagnosed with Marfan syndrome, a disease that affects the body's connective tiissue. He may never play basketball again.

If this had been the real draft, the pick never would have happened. Jeanne's physical at the combine showed a need to follow up, and it was the pre-draft follow up that showed the diagnosis.

This is what I get for being conscientious and posting my pick at 1 a.m. my time rather than reading the morning paper first, but I dared not risk oversleeping given recent events.
    If I'm not mistaken this is almost the exact same thing that happened to Isaiah Austin a few years ago. They found it due to his physical while working out for NBA teams.

FWIW Austin actually started playing basketball again this year in Serbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post

Or, was he afflicted with Marfan syndrome BECAUSE you selected him on behalf of Portland?

First of all, I have told Henderson he can change his pick provided it happens before Dev11 (who lives in Denver and therefore may post late due to time zone stuff) picks. I feel truly awful about my angst over the timing of everything yesterday so y'all should not worry very much about missing deadlines today.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I will post a full explanation of this pick tomorrow.
    In any event, regarding Anunoby...

I hate this pick. I feel like there are about 15 guys I really like in this draft and I had hopes one of them would slip to me. Sadly, it did not happen. So, before I discuss the pick, let me discuss the Hawks.

Team Outlook: For a team that just made the playoffs for the 10th consecutive year (only the Spurs have a longer active streak) the Hawks need... well... just about everything. Somehow, Atlanta has managed to construct a roster good enough to be a solid playoff team year after year but with few hopes of taking the next step. The are cursed with the worst thing that can happen to a NBA team -- they are good, but don't have a single great player on their roster. So, they are not an attractive free agent destination, they don't get good draft picks, and it is hard to get excited about their prospects.

The Roster: The Hawks best player is PF Paul Milsaps, who is one of the better stretch 4s in the NBA. He would be a great 2nd or 3rd complimentary piece to a star player. But, with no star player he is forced to take on a bigger role for the Hawks and he simply isn't a star. Whats more, he's a free agent and someone is going to give him the max (Milsaps recently declined his $21+ mil player option for the upcoming season because he knows he is going to get closer to $30 mil as a free agent). He ain't worth the max, but that is what he is going to get and I'm not sure the Hawks will mortgage their future to pay him. This past season was a break out one for PG Dennis Schroder. He is still inconsistent but is capable of rising up and carrying the team at times. Again, he'd be a wonderful compliment to a great player, but the Hawks ain't got no great players. The club feels excited about the future of SF Taurean Prince who came on strong late in his rookie campaign. He needs to develop a better shot, but brings a lot of athleticism to the table and looks like he could be a good piece for the future of the club.

The team is saddled with a pair of really bad contracts. Kent Bazemore is due to make $16.9/$18.1/$19.2 over the next 3 years. He's a good defender but isn't worth anything close to that kind of money. And then there is the man in the middle -- Dwight Howard will make $47+ million over the next 2 years and he seems utterly disinterested in playing hard at this point in his career. If it comes easy to him, he will do it, but if it requires effort he's just not into it. Dwight is only 31, so he should still physically be in his prime, but he has already been in the league for 13 years and he has taken a pounding over that time. He does not protect the rim the way he used to and his offense is basically non-existent other than finishing lobs or easy putbacks. He claims he is working on a 3-pointer in the off-season, but given his lifetime of free throw struggles, I cannot even begin to fathom that he will succeed in being a decent shooter from 20+ feet, even if teams left him wide open out there.

So, the Hawks need everything, which means I was free to pick whoever I want.

The Pick:

Here is what I like about OG Anunoby-- other than the fact that he LOOKS DOWN AT THE RIM when he dunks -- he plays defense like a demon. He's long, 6-7 with a 7-2 wingspan, and he is a freak athlete with tremendous quickness. He was one of the best defenders in all of college basketball last year and his combination of length and lateral quickness gives him the unique ability to guard virtually every position on the floor. He somewhat reminds me of a guy like Kawhi Leonard (who was drafted in the middle of the first round and who took a few years to grow into a real offensive threat but was a great defender from day one). OG is not a polished offensive player yet, though scouts say he has good form on his 3-point jumper and could develop it. No matter what, he will be able to score with his athleticism. This is a guy who looked like a certain lottery-pick back in January... and then he blew out his ACL. It is telling that Indiana tanked when OG went down. He was clearly a huge driving force behind their success (they were 13-6 with him, and 5-10 without him). Obviously, I worry about how he will come back from the injury, but if he returns to form then I am getting a mid-lottery steal in the back half of the first round. If not... well, I sorta want the Hawks to suck for a few years so we can stockpile some young assets.

Other Considerations: I came very close to taking one of the many talented, athletic big men who are available here. Jarrett Allen and Bam Adebayo got looooong looks from me. I would have no problem with the real Hawks taking either of those guys (and if Harry Giles is available here, I will personally burn Philips Arena to the ground if the Hawks pass on him). I would have loved to have gotten some outside shooting, something the Hawks really need, but there just isn't any available with this pick (the only way I don't burn Philips to the ground is if the Hawks take Luke Kennard instead of Giles if Kennard is available).

The Dirty Truth: I probably should have taken Justin Jackson here. I think he is the player most ready to help a NBA team at this point and I love his mid-range game. He scores in the kinds of ways I see NBA players score. He developed a nice 3-point stroke in college, which tells me he can grow as a shooter... but I just couldn't do it. If I took off my Duke blinders I would probably have picked him... though, as I said, I'm not that upset at the prospect of the Hawks being bad for a couple years so grabbing a guy who helps right away like Jackson may not be what is best for the future of the franchise.

-Jason "that... was... long!" Evans

... The Dirty Truth: I probably should have taken Justin Jackson here. I think he is the player most ready to help a NBA team at this point and I love his mid-range game. He scores in the kinds of ways I see NBA players score. He developed a nice 3-point stroke in college, which tells me he can grow as a shooter... but I just couldn't do it. If I took off my Duke blinders I would probably have picked him... though, as I said, I'm not that upset at the prospect of the Hawks being bad for a couple years so grabbing a guy who helps right away like Jackson may not be what is best for the future of the franchise.

-Jason "that... was... long!" Evans
    I just don't see JJ as having that fire that will let him compete in the NBA. He had a tendency to disappear at unc, and that type of player generally does not do well in the real man's league.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I just don't see JJ as having that fire that will let him compete in the NBA. He had a tendency to disappear at unc, and that type of player generally does not do well in the real man's league.
    That and he is a good shooter, not great. Average rebounder, below average ability to dribble, below average passer, average finisher and an ok defender.

First of all, I have told Henderson he can change his pick provided it happens before Dev11 (who lives in Denver and therefore may post late due to time zone stuff) picks.
    Thanks, but I'm good and don't want to hold folks up. Let's let Dev11 have time to see that he's up next and make a considered pick.

Maybe next time there could be some modification of the rules to account for time zones By making a pick at 2 a.m., the person ahead of me put me on the clock from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. my time. I picked in time, but that put Dev11 on the clock from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. his time. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

JasonEvans

A team that isn't Portland, Lakers, or Magic would be beyond dumb to take Giles. Those three have a 2nd 1st rounder low enough to warrant the risk factor. He may have the talent of a 10th pick but his knees put him at too much risk to take before 20. I guess the too talent teams could afford to take him in the last few picks and stow him away.

I'd be happy to eat my crow but I would feel bad for all my fellow Atlantans that are hawks fans if they took Giles. He has injury bust written all over him. It isn't worth the risk without another 1st round pick as insurance. Hawks need roster ready talent to continue their regular season decency in hopes a star decides to be an addition to the roster during FA. I don't think Giles is there yet.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Sorry for the delay. I'm Dev11, GM of the Oklahoma City Thunder, and I'm here build around the most eye-poppingly athletic dude in basketball while playing in the same conference as the Warriors. Russell Westbrook may not be long for our humble city, so we want to target immediate impact players to try to snag a series from Golden State in the next two seasons (great, really, just fantastic, I love this job).

I want a guy who will take care of the basketball, and since we want to win now, I want some experience. With the 21st pick in the 2017 NBA mock draft, the Thunder select Justin Jackson, SF from UNC (barf). He's a capable offensive player who should help shoulder some of the load, and he doesn't get in the way of what we already do well. We also like that he's played on big stages (literally) and should be mature enough to contribute right away.