Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Start of page 2... here is where we stand.

Round 1
    1. Boston - flyingdutchdevil: Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington
    2. LA Lakers - Troublemaker: Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
    3. Philadelphia - Gooch: Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas
    4. Phoenix - pfrduke: De'Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
    5. Sacramento - gocanes0506: Jayson Tatum, F Duke
    6. Orlando - NashvilleDevil: Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky
    7. Minnesota - drummerdevil: Jonathan Isaac, F, FSU
    8. New York - Ichabod Drain: Dennis Smith, PG, NC State
    9. Dallas - brevity: Frank Ntilikina, PG, Belgium
    10. Sacramento - gocanes0506: Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona
    11. Charlotte - mattman91: Zach Collins, C, Gonzaga
    12. Detroit - BD80: Luke Kennard, SG, Duke
    13. Denver NSDukeFan: Harry Giles, PF, Duke
    14. Miami - Newton 14
    15. Portland - Henderson
    16. Chicago - atoomer0881
    17. Milwaukee - kAzE
    18. Indiana - Edouble
    19. Atlanta - Jason Evans
    20. Portland - Henderson
    21. Oklahoma Cty - Dev11
    22. Brooklyn - Bob Green
    23. Toronto - Nrrrrvous
    24. Utah - Furniture
    25. Orlando - NashvilleDevil
    26. Portland - Henderson
    27. Brooklyn - Bob Green
    28. LA Lakers - Troublemaker
    29. San Antonio - JNort
    30. Utah - Furniture

Round 2
    1. Atlanta - Jason Evans
    2. Phoenix - pfrduke
    3. Orlando - NashvilleDevil
    4. Sacramento - gocanes0506
    5. Orlando - NashvilleDevil
    6. Philadelphia - Gooch
    7. Boston - flyingdutchdevil
    8. Chicago - atoomer0881
    9. Philadelphia - Gooch
    10. New Orleans - awhom111
    11. Charlotte - mattman91
    12. Utah - Furniture
    13. Houston - duketaylor
    14. New York - Ichabod Drain
    15. Houston - duketaylor
    16. Philadelphia - Gooch
    17. Indiana - Edouble
    18. Milwaukee - kAzE
    19. Denver - NSDukeFan
    20. Philadelphia - Gooch
    21. Denver - NSDukeFan
    22. Washington - jjredickrules
    23. Boston - flyingdutchdevil
    24. Phoenix - pfrduke
    25. Utah - Furniture
    26. Boston - flyingdutchdevil
    27. Brooklyn - Bob Green
    28. New York - Ichabod Drain
    29. San Antonio - JNort
    30. Atlanta - Jason Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-08-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My first action as head of the Knicks now is to kick Phil Jackson to the curb.

My next action is to take Dennis Smith Jr with the eighth pick in the 2017 draft. After that all I have to do is convince him he's playing in Cameron Indoor every night.

Dallas Mavericks and the #9 pick

Since 1980, Dallas has some history with the #9 overall pick in the NBA Draft. They have selected Rolando Blackman, Dale Ellis, and Samaki Walker, and traded down-but-really-up for Dirk Nowitzki. So no pressure.

Most teams in the lottery would be interested in stockpiling talent, so there is a possibility that Arizona PF Lauri Markkanen gets picked here. Many are tempted to compare him to Dirk, and Dirk himself accepts the comparison in an eye-rolling kind of way. (Real-Dirk, that is, though mock-Dirk feels similarly.) But Dallas' position this high in the draft is an anomaly for them, as was the injury-packed 2016-2017 season. So the worst team in the Southwest Division is in a curious win-now mode.

Part of winning now is keeping your star player happy. Mock-Dirk (and, as I understand, real-Dirk) wants consistency at the point, and Dennis Smith might have worked had the Knicks not selected him at #8. Honestly, though, the measurables highly favor selecting Frank Ntilikina, the 18-year-old Belgian PG who most recently played for Strasbourg in France. Dennis Smith's height and wingspan is 6-foot-3. Frank is 6-foot-5 and is said to have a 7-foot-1-inch wingspan*. Frank should develop and rise quickly in a point guard depth chart that is occupied by J.J. Barea, Devin Harris, and Yogi Ferrell. Time will tell how he works in a backcourt alongside Seth Curry and Wes Matthews.

Ultimately, it's about addressing the needs of a Mavericks organization during the present-Dirk and post-Dirk (both present-mock-Dirk and present-real... oh whatever) by mixing their young and veteran talent, working toward a common goal: making Harrison Barnes look competent.

*Ordinarily, Jay Bilas would be here raving about Frank's wingspan, but he's stuck in Atlanta, yelling at the airline about their restrictive connecting flights policy.

Unfortunately for the Divacs, the Lees and Cubans went the expected route and selected the last 2 remaining PGs that are in the top 20. That definitely leaves a big hole for us.

The Kings will select Lauri Markkanen, Arizona. He gives the Kings a great addition to the NBA norm of pick and pop. With Lauri, Hield, Tatum, and the soon to be signee Bogdanovic, the Kings may have a formidable offense. We'll just need to address the PG position. Again it'll happen through all the moves I proposed before. FA here we come!

I contemplated reaching for a guard at this point but Luke just doesn't have the athleticism to handle NBA point duties. IQ by far, it made it tempting. We decided on BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Unfortunately for the Divacs, the Lees and Cubans went the expected route and selected the last 2 remaining PGs that are in the top 20. That definitely leaves a big hole for us.

The Kings will select Lauri Markkanen, Arizona. He gives the Kings a great addition to the NBA norm of pick and pop. With Lauri, Hield, Tatum, and the soon to be signee Bogdanovic, the Kings may have a formidable offense. We'll just need to address the PG position. Again it'll happen through all the moves I proposed before. FA here we come!

I contemplated reaching for a guard at this point but Luke just doesn't have the athleticism to handle NBA point duties. IQ by far, it made it tempting. We decided on BPA.
    Pick up the phone, the Pistons will trade Reggie Jackson, who might fit your system to a "T." He isn't able to consistently do what SVG expects, so tensions are mounting. Good time to make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Pick up the phone, the Pistons will trade Reggie Jackson, who might fit your system to a "T." He isn't able to consistently do what SVG expects, so tensions are mounting. Good time to make an offer.
    I expect if the Kings are unable to get Fox at 5 or Smith at 10 then the Pistons will get a call. Although in 2 years his salary gets a little ridiculous. Unless he becomes a top PG in the league in 2 years, that is. If we do the moves I proposed we should be able to still afford Jackson as well. If Affalo is cut, McLemore and Papa traded, and Galloway doesn't pick up his option the Kings will have 68 million in cap space. Kantes, Turner, and Jackson equal about 55 million. Gives them 13 million to sign picks, which you need 10 to sign the 4.

In the end depends on if Detroit comes down on their asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Say what?! Are you saying that of Sacto because they're run so poorly that they might be willing to make a colossally idiotic move like that just because...or is there actually a reasonable speculation that this move is on the table???

Seriously, they'd consider trading a top-10 pick to move up one spot (not even from 2 to 1...no, from 5 to 4?!) and draft a guy that is almost certain to be on the board that one spot later*? I call shenanigans.

*And even if he isn't, he's not exactly the one missing piece to a Sacto championship.
    There is reasonable speculation that the move is on the table. I wouldn't do it if I were them.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

If the Hornets don't pick by 10 EST, the Pistons are on the clock?

Yeah, what's the hold up? Jason usually keeps things moving along at a quick pace (I should know, I was bad last year!).

If the Hornets don't pick by 10 EST, the Pistons are on the clock?
    I am quite frustrated. Mattman91 has been around for a while and knows how this works. Maybe he was surprised by how quickly we got through the first batch of picks on day one.

In any event, I have sent him a PM and given him until 11am to make his pick. If he does not have it in by then, I will pick for him from the top remaining players on NBADraft.net and DraftExpress.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am quite frustrated. Mattman91 has been around for a while and knows how this works. Maybe he was surprised by how quickly we got through the first batch of picks on day one.

In any event, I have sent him a PM and given him until 11am to make his pick. If he does not have it in by then, I will pick for him from the top remaining players on NBADraft.net and DraftExpress.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.
    Orrrr ...

You could let the Pistons take who they want and move the Hornets down one and give them a bit more time ...

(Not that I want the chance to select a Duke player who actually fits the Pistons' needs)

Blame the Knicks, who made their pick at 5:59pm ET. Had they posted their pick 2 minutes later, Dallas could have waited until today to make the #9 pick, and I could have convinced myself to do something crazy. Instead, I stuck to form, and the DBR Mock Top 10 is the same as the predictors, just in a slightly different order. So honestly, the Hornets have the first interesting pick of the draft.

By the way, the best player available is either Luke Kennard (DraftExpress) or Zach Collins (NBADraft.net). By averaging the two, it looks like this:

12.0 Zach Collins
    14.5 Luke Kennard
    15.0 Jarrett Allen
    15.0 John Collins
    16.0 Justin Patton
    16.5 Donovan Mitchell
    17.0 Ike Anigbogu
    17.0 Harry Giles
    17.5 Justin Jackson
    33.5 Tony Bradley

Pick #11 - Charlotte takes Zach Collins

Mattman's grace period is expired, so I will take over the role of Charlotte GM and select the best available players according to the mocks. The Hornets pick Gonzaga freshman big man Zach Collins.

Many folks are projecting Collins to Charlotte. HoopsHabit says this:

On paper, Collins looks like a can’t-miss prospect. He may not ever become a star, but he should be a reliable rotation player with the potential to develop into much more than that. He’s a seven-footer, he’s hyper-efficient around the rim, he can shoot from outside, and he can protect the basket. That’s everything you want from your center in the modern NBA.

The NBA Draft brings an opportunity to get younger and bring in a potentially franchise-changing player. If Collins reaches his ceiling, he could possibly be that type of player. At worst, he’s a solid role player that they should be able to plug into their big man rotation immediately.

Cody Zeller projects to be their starting center in 2017-18, but he missed 20 games last season. Frank Kaminsky, Marvin Williams, and Miles Plumlee make up the rest of their power forward/center rotation. If drafted, Collins could see minutes at both center and power forward during his rookie season.
    -Jason "Detroit is on the clock..." Evans

Pick #12 - Pistons Take Luke Kennard

Reviewing the prospects for the Pistons, it became more clear to me why Frank Jackson chose to go. The Pistons need perimeter shooting, and there is precious little in this draft! When Malik Monk is the best shooter in the draft, you KNOW it is a weak draft.

I am struggling a bit with the “goal” of this mock draft. Are we trying to guess who our team will pick, or are we trying to get the best “value” for our team, or are we trying to make the best pick for the team given certain parameters which we should explain? I’ll shoot for the latter.

Stan Van Gundy runs and coaches the Pistons. He is generally considered a very good coach and a very good judge of veteran talent. SVG has little use for, or patience with, rookies. It is generally likely that SVG will trade a pick for an undervalued veteran. Examples of his acquisitions are Marcus Morris and Tobias Harris, very productive veterans with contracts well below their value.

It is even more likely that SVG trades this year’s pick for a veteran wing, because the Pistons badly need a perimeter shooter – everybody on the team shoots 35% or worse from 3 – and there isn’t much shooting available in this draft. If Luke is available I’ll be forced to choose him (Luke – “force” – get it?) – as he is the best available shooter by far, and has the release and shot fakes that will translate to the next level. I do see a solid career for Luke, but any rookie is going to suffer under SVG. Luke’s time with Coach K, and the development of his game between his freshman and sophomore years, make me believe he can handle and even thrive under SVG. I am extremely worried about Luke’s defense at the next level, but figure that he will be on the second unit and hopefully he can hide a bit on D.

There is a great temptation to take Harry Giles here. Frankly, none of the players available at 12 has much of a chance to ever see an all-star game without buying a ticket. A few may develop into solid starters, but even that is a crap-shoot; this is a weak draft and scouts have been predicting this for years. Depending on his individual work-outs, Harry could be a great pick here. If he were to demonstrate that his athleticism is returning and that he has the skill sets that made him the #1 recruit as a junior, I’d invest this pick on Harry.

If Luke were not available, I’d have gone with Donovan Mitchell – who seems like a SVG guy. Not SG height, but huge wingspan, tough to shoot over and a tenacious defender. This scares me to type, but his outside shot is “developing.” How many pros “develop” an outside shot once in the pros? Mitchell does seem to be one of those guys who is developing, and is a “winner.” He could easily earn minutes on the second unit by playing great defense.

Many mocks have the Pistons taking Zach Collins or Lauri Markkanen, primarily because SVG is fond of “stretch 4s.” However, the Pistons drafted Henry Ellison last year as a “stretch 4” and have no need for 2 developmental “stretch 4s.” They also brought in undervalued Jon Leuer as an undervalued veteran “stretch 4” for the second unit, behind starting “stretch 4” Marcus Morris.

Briefly considered Terrance Ferguson, NBA athleticism for sure, can shoot in streaks, but then thought about how he’d fare under SVG, chuckled, and moved on.

Mattman's grace period is expired, so I will take over the role of Charlotte GM and select the best available players according to the mocks. The Hornets pick Gonzaga freshman big man Zach Collins.

Many folks are projecting Collins to Charlotte. HoopsHabit says this:

-Jason "Detroit is on the clock..." Evans
    You know the Charlotte Tar Holians are selecting jackson. Its the status quo. They must continue their utter incompetence to be competitive. Just ask Sean May.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    You know the Charlotte Tar Holians are selecting jackson. Its the status quo. They must continue their utter incompetence to be competitive. Just ask Sean May.
    You're stuck in the past. The current model suggests stockpiling as many tall white dudes as possible. Because of the recent (to slightly less recent) departures of Spencer Hawes and McBob, we have vacancy for another. It's gotta Markkanen or Zach Collins. Case closed. He'll complement Zeller, MP1, and Frank very well.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    You're stuck in the past. The current model suggests stockpiling as many tall white dudes as possible. Because of the recent (to slightly less recent) departures of Spencer Hawes and McBob, we have vacancy for another. It's gotta Markkanen or Zach Collins. Case closed. He'll complement Zeller, MP1, and Frank very well.
    But they are a versatile bunch of white dudes. Zeller for a traditional back-to-the-basket bigman, MP1 for defense, and Frank for shooting. They need a big, hunking Eastern European and have all varieties!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Reviewing the prospects for the Pistons, it became more clear to me why Frank Jackson chose to go. The Pistons need perimeter shooting, and there is precious little in this draft! When Malik Monk is the best shooter in the draft, you KNOW it is a weak draft.
    I dunno if it is a weak draft. The top is quite strong. I think there are at least 6 guys who seem to have a good chance to be All-stars some day and another half dozen with tremendous athleticism and potential. I do think it drops off a good bit toward the middle of the first round. I agree that it is not a good draft for shooters, which seems to be an increasingly valuable commodity in the NBA these days. After all, both teams in the NBA finals prefer to play 5 guys who can all shoot 3s. That tells you how important shooting is and this draft does not have many pure shooters.

I am struggling a bit with the “goal” of this mock draft. Are we trying to guess who our team will pick, or are we trying to get the best “value” for our team, or are we trying to make the best pick for the team given certain parameters which we should explain? I’ll shoot for the latter.
    Great question -- I think the goal here is to get the best player you can for your team. You are pretending to be the GM of your club. You look at your roster and your needs an try to make the best pick. Your view may be completely opposite from what the team's GM will do. Our job is not to try to duplicate the NBA draft itself. We are trying to make the best selection for each team as we see it.

-Jason "Does that make sense?" Evans

Denver - 13th pick Harry Giles

The Denver Nuggets are in an interesting position. I might compare them to the Celtics-lite. The team has reasonably good players at each position and some depth. The Nuggets best player is power forward Nikola Jokic, who has improved greatly the last couple of years. Danilo Gallinari, a big small forward, was their leading scorer, but just became a free agent. He may re-sign. The team also has Mason Plumlee, who was extremely well coached in college, at center. Also in the mix for bigs are Kenneth Faried, who has dropped off significantly since his Olympic run five years ago, Darrell Arthur, Juan Hernangomez and whatever is left of Roy Hibbert. Wilson Chandler is a solid small forward, as is Gallinari. The backcourt is also solid with Jamal Murray, Gary Harris, Jameer Nelson, Will Barton and Emmanuel Mudiay. The team is in the mix for the playoffs, but not close to being contenders. Unless Jokic makes another jump, there are unlikely to be any all-stars.

This team could use a star. Unfortunately, at this point in the draft they aren't likely to get it. So that's why the team is going to roll the dice on one of the top talents in the draft, in hopes that his knee health continues to improve. He is not likely to make a huge impact for the team this year, but should be in the mix for some minutes up front. We would have liked Markkanen or Ntilikina had they been available and considered T.J. Leaf as a stretch four, but are very excited by Harry Giles' potential.

Sorry guys, had an emergency this morning and was unable to make my pick.

All is well now, sorry to cause a delay.