Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Midway

My 10 year old son has recently started showing interest in WWII history. We just watched the latest Midway movie together last month. He was very into the planes of course. So we spent June 4th this year at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's World War II weekend. It's a re-enactment weekend, combined with an airshow. Really amazing to see so many of the aircraft up close, and in flight. No Zeros this year, but Japan was represented with some torpedo and dive bombers. Many US planes represented. No P-38, but the museum does have a P-61 that they are in the process of restoring to flight-worthiness. We enjoyed a beautiful day out together seeing moving, living history. He is already talking about going back in a few years when he is old enough to take a ride in one of the 2-seaters.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    My 10 year old son has recently started showing interest in WWII history. We just watched the latest Midway movie together last month. He was very into the planes of course. So we spent June 4th this year at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's World War II weekend. It's a re-enactment weekend, combined with an airshow. Really amazing to see so many of the aircraft up close, and in flight. No Zeros this year, but Japan was represented with some torpedo and dive bombers. Many US planes represented. No P-38, but the museum does have a P-61 that they are in the process of restoring to flight-worthiness. We enjoyed a beautiful day out together seeing moving, living history. He is already talking about going back in a few years when he is old enough to take a ride in one of the 2-seaters.
    Don't know how close you are to Hartford, CT, but they have a fantastic air museum next to the airport. https://neam.org/

It's not strictly for warplanes, but they are well represented. The last time I was there (a while ago) they were restoring a B-29. Amazing to stand next to it. I notice from the web site that they offer a summer "Aerospace Camp," which might be of interest to your son. Anyway, if Hartford is a reasonable day trip for you, I recommend it.

Don't miss the National Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport. I was there last week, and the collection keeps getting bigger and better.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Don't miss the National Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport. I was there last week, and the collection keeps getting bigger and better.
    We were also in DC over Memorial Day weekend and hoped to go there but ran out of time - I have heard it is really incredible. It was basically my kids first trip to DC (finishing 2nd and 6th grades) and it was particularly meaningful to be there over Memorial Day - we saw a huge group of Veterans visiting the Vietnam Memorial and did most of the other monuments, and we spent a lot of time at Arlington Cemetery.

I remember checking the Mercury capsule which launched guys like Alan Shepard into (or generally towards) orbit...the small area under my kitchen sink is bigger...no jumping jacks in that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I second this recommendation. The collection includes the Enola Gay.

https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Don't know how close you are to Hartford, CT, but they have a fantastic air museum next to the airport. https://neam.org/

It's not strictly for warplanes, but they are well represented. The last time I was there (a while ago) they were restoring a B-29. Amazing to stand next to it. I notice from the web site that they offer a summer "Aerospace Camp," which might be of interest to your son. Anyway, if Hartford is a reasonable day trip for you, I recommend it.
    Heck, I'd be interested in going to that!

In 1993, I took my then 11 year old daughter to Space Camp at the Kennedy Space Center. Parent/Child weekend. I had a blast (no pun intended) and so did she. The next summer she went to their week long (kids only) session. When I picked her up, there was a Shuttle launch scheduled, and campers (and their parents) were able to witness it from the visitors area! That was my second launch - in 1972 I witnessed Apollo 16 take off. Made it as close as I-95 near Cocoa Beach before the traffic back up wouldn't allow further travel. Even from that distance ((10+ miles from the launch pad), the rumble and vibration of those Saturn V engines was amazing, far more impressive than the Shuttle solid rocket boosters.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Heck, I'd be interested in going to that!

In 1993, I took my then 11 year old daughter to Space Camp at the Kennedy Space Center. Parent/Child weekend. I had a blast (no pun intended) and so did she. The next summer she went to their week long (kids only) session. When I picked her up, there was a Shuttle launch scheduled, and campers (and their parents) were able to witness it from the visitors area! That was my second launch - in 1972 I witnessed Apollo 16 take off. Made it as close as I-95 near Cocoa Beach before the traffic back up wouldn't allow further travel. Even from that distance ((10+ miles from the launch pad), the rumble and vibration of those Saturn V engines was amazing, far more impressive than the Shuttle solid rocket boosters.
    OZZIE, you should get a trip to outer space (not orbit) like William Shatner, who did it at the age of 90. My wife and I watched John Glenn's trip to orbit on October 29, 1998 standing on New Smyrna Beach. Glenn was the oldest person to do so at the age of 77. I guess that record is still his.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    OZZIE, you should get a trip to outer space (not orbit) like William Shatner, who did it at the age of 90. My wife and I watched John Glenn's trip to orbit on October 29, 1998 standing on New Smyrna Beach. Glenn was the oldest person to do so at the age of 77. I guess that record is still his.
    I’d love to if someone else is paying for it! You volunteering?!!! John Glenn’s record would be safe with me. I was 7 on February 20, 1962 when Glenn took his first ride into space. I know exactly where I was while
    watching - I was at my friend Kenny’s 8th birthday party and we all watched it in his den. It was also my mother’s birthday and that’s why I remember the date. I still send Kenny a happy birthday email on his birthday every year! Unfortunately not my mom.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 06-07-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    NSB is a great spot for rocket watching

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    We were also in DC over Memorial Day weekend and hoped to go there but ran out of time - I have heard it is really incredible. It was basically my kids first trip to DC (finishing 2nd and 6th grades) and it was particularly meaningful to be there over Memorial Day - we saw a huge group of Veterans visiting the Vietnam Memorial and did most of the other monuments, and we spent a lot of time at Arlington Cemetery.
    That memorial is amazing.