Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2017-18 Schedule Information

Okay, it's early, but let's start putting together what info we can glean about next year's schedule.

First, the good news -- after playing the toughest ACC unbalanced schedule that it's possible to play, we get a much more reasonable lineup in the league next year.

You remember this year, the ACC put nine teams in the NCAA and Duke played all eight of the possible NCAA teams on the road ... plus Syracuse, which was probably the greatest home/road split in the league.

Next year's ACC schedule involves home-and-home with UNC and Wake Forest (our permanent partners, we get them every year) and a home-and- home with Virginia Tech and Pitt. We play road only games with Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Boston College and N.C. State ... we get home only games with Notre Dame, Virginia, Louisville, Florida State and Syracuse.

That's a MUCH easier schedule -- the two games with Pitt are nice (they lose all five starters) and while I'm not saying any of these will be easy, but playing at BC, Clemson, Georgia Tech is much easier than playing at Louisville, Virginia and Notre Dame. Plus we get Syracuse at home (I know we lost to them in Cameron in 2016, but they are still much more vulnerable on the road).

Okay, we also know that we get Michigan State in the Champions Classic -- we had Kansas this season and Kentucky the year before. A good game on a neutral court against an improving team (they were awfully young this season).

Getting Michigan State early means it's VERY unlikely we get the Spartans in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. No clue who we do get, although it's almost certain we get a road game (after two straight home games). Best guess is that Duke will face one of the teams coming off a road game in the challenge -- that means Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State, Rutgers or Nebraska (also Michigan State, but we won't get them). Knowing that ESPN sets the matchups and wants a premier opponent for Duke, it won't be Rutgers or Nebraska.

I was hoping this was the year we return to Maui, but that's in November 2018 (we're there with Gonzaga, Arizona, Illinois, Xavier, Iowa State and Auburn).

instead, we're playing in an event called the Phil Knight Invitational -- an incredible 16-team field that includes Duke, UNC, Oregon, Florida, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Butler, Arkansas, UConn, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Stanford, It was supposed to include Kentucky and Xavier, but they had to pull out.

The thing is, that instead of a 16 team tournament, this is going to be two eight team tournaments. The split has not been announced (at least I can't find it), but it's very likely that we won't be in the eight-team tourney with UNC or Michigan State ... but Oregon and Gonzaga are very possible. The tourney is in Portland over the Thanksgiving holiday.

We are pretty certain to have a significant game in Madison Square Garden just before Christmas.

Anyway, that's as far as I can take it. I welcome additions as they become known.

PK80

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    instead, we're playing in an event called the Phil Knight Invitational -- an incredible 16-team field that includes Duke, UNC, Oregon, Florida, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Butler, Arkansas, UConn, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Stanford, It was supposed to include Kentucky and Xavier, but they had to pull out.

The thing is, that instead of a 16 team tournament, this is going to be two eight team tournaments. The split has not been announced (at least I can't find it), but it's very likely that we won't be in the eight-team tourney with UNC or Michigan State ... but Oregon and Gonzaga are very possible. The tourney is in Portland over the Thanksgiving holiday.
    From the website (http://pkinvitational.com/about):

The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference.
    So definitely no UNC...and you can play either/or with the teams from other conferences (i.e. no Michigan State *and* Ohio State)...

Add @St. John's on 2/3/18. I think this might be instead of the MSG game. The 18 game ACC schedule means we play 12-13 non-conference games. We already have 6 with the ACC-B10 challenge. It would be unprecedented for us to get a home game in the ACC-B10 3 years in a row or to play more games outside Cameron (7) than in (5-6).

CBS Sports Link

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    From the website (http://pkinvitational.com/about):

The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference.

So definitely no UNC...and you can play either/or with the teams from other conferences (i.e. no Michigan State *and* Ohio State)...
    Yes, 6 conferences are sending two teams each, and the pairs will play in separate brackets:

ACC - Duke, UNC
    B10 - MSU, Ohio St
    B12 - Texas, Oklahoma
    BigE - Butler, Georgetown
    Pac12 - Oregon, Stanford
    SEC - Florida, Arkansas

4 conferences are sending one team:
    Gonzaga
    UConn
    Portland
    Portland St

I would expect Portland and Portland St to be in separate brackets and be the 8 seed to the 1 seed in each bracket. (Not that they will necessarily officially seed the teams). That would mean Zaga and UConn will also be in separate brackets.

Duke and Ohio St will likely be in the same bracket because Duke and Michigan St are already going to play in the Champions Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Add @St. John's on 2/3/18. I think this might be instead of the MSG game. The 18 game ACC schedule means we play 12-13 non-conference games. We already have 6 with the ACC-B10 challenge. It would be unprecedented for us to get a home game in the ACC-B10 3 years in a row or to play more games outside Cameron (7) than in (5-6).

CBS Sports Link
    Next season will be Chris Mullins' third.

1st season, SJU went 8-24 (1-17 in the BE) and was kenpom #211.
    2nd season, SJU went 14-19 (7-11 in the BE) and was kenpom #99.

If they make another big jump between Mullins' 2nd and 3rd season, that could be a very tough road game.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yes, 6 conferences are sending two teams each, and the pairs will play in separate brackets:

ACC - Duke, UNC
    B10 - MSU, Ohio St
    B12 - Texas, Oklahoma
    BigE - Butler, Georgetown
    Pac12 - Oregon, Stanford
    SEC - Florida, Arkansas

Gonzaga
    UConn
    Portland
    Portland St

I would expect Portland and Portland St to be in separate brackets and be the 8 seed to the 1 seed in each bracket. (Not that they will necessarily officially seed the teams). That would mean Zaga and UConn will also be in separate brackets.

Duke and Ohio St will likely be in the same bracket because Duke and Michigan St are already going to play in the Champions Classic.
    Below is my attempt to form the two 8-team brackets. Here are my assumptions not previously mentioned:

• Oregon will be the marquee team for one of the brackets because this tournament takes place in Portland and because it is Phil Knight's alma mater (along with Stanford for business school).
    • Duke will be the marquee team for the other bracket because, well, we're Duke. No offense to UNC (who might be Thor-hammered by that point), Michigan St, or Gonzaga
    • The tournament will separate the two PNW powers, Oregon and Gonzaga, into separate brackets
    • Oregon has played Portland St numerous times in recent years but hasn't played Portland in awhile, so Oregon's bracket will receive Portland and Duke's bracket will receive Portland St
    • With only Duke and Gonzaga in one bracket but Oregon, UNC, and Michigan St in the other, Duke's bracket will receive the (assumed) better of the Big East and SEC teams to help balance things out. So, Butler over Georgetown, and Florida over Arkansas.
    • Flipped a coin to decide how to split the Red River Rivalry. Both Texas and Oklahoma are young teams that should be much improved next season.

Bracket #1 Conference Bracket #2
    Duke ACC UNC
    Stanford Pac 12 Oregon
    Ohio St Big 10 Michigan St
    Gonzaga x UConn
    Butler Big East Georgetown
    Florida SEC Arkansas
    Texas Big 12 Oklahoma
    Portland St x Portland

Here's what that would like with (unofficial) seedings:

Seed Bracket #1 Seed Bracket #2
    1 Duke 1 Oregon
    8 Portland St 8 Portland
    4 Butler 4 Arkansas
    5 Texas 5 Oklahoma
    3 Florida 3 Michigan St
    6 Ohio St 6 Georgetown
    2 Gonzaga 2 UNC
    7 Stanford 7 UConn

Anyway, let's see how close I come. (Hey, it's the offseason! Let's see if you can waste your time better than this!)

Gonzaga
    UConn
    Portland
    Portland St
    Gonzaga and Portland are in the WCC. Your hypothetical brackets do keep them apart, but not intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Gonzaga and Portland are in the WCC. Your hypothetical brackets do keep them apart, but not intentionally.
    Dang it! That's what I get for not thoroughly checking.

Phew, that it still worked out in the end. Still believe Portland and Portland St will be separated, which means Zaga and UConn will be separated.

Below is my attempt to form the two 8-team brackets. Here are my assumptions not previously mentioned:

• Oregon will be the marquee team for one of the brackets because this tournament takes place in Portland and because it is Phil Knight's alma mater (along with Stanford for business school).
    • Duke will be the marquee team for the other bracket because, well, we're Duke. No offense to UNC (who might be Thor-hammered by that point), Michigan St, or Gonzaga
    • The tournament will separate the two PNW powers, Oregon and Gonzaga, into separate brackets
    • Oregon has played Portland St numerous times in recent years but hasn't played Portland in awhile, so Oregon's bracket will receive Portland and Duke's bracket will receive Portland St
    • With only Duke and Gonzaga in one bracket but Oregon, UNC, and Michigan St in the other, Duke's bracket will receive the (assumed) better of the Big East and SEC teams to help balance things out. So, Butler over Georgetown, and Florida over Arkansas.
    • Flipped a coin to decide how to split the Red River Rivalry. Both Texas and Oklahoma are young teams that should be much improved next season.

Anyway, let's see how close I come. (Hey, it's the offseason! Let's see if you can waste your time better than this!)
    FWIW, I expect Gonzaga and Oregon could be the "premier" teams in the two brackets -- West Coast teams that made the FF. UNC would likely be in Gonzaga's bracket, with NC re-match potential (no matter what happens tonight). That puts Duke in Oregon's bracket.

But I like your scenario.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Nike insiders are saying that members of the NCAA Selection Committee are reuniting to fill the two Phil Knight Invitational brackets.

Jordan Bracket

UNC
    Arkansas
    Michigan State
    Stanford
    Texas
    Georgetown
    Portland
    Portland State

Non-Jordan Bracket

Duke
    Gonzaga
    Oregon
    Florida
    Butler
    Ohio State
    Connecticut
    Oklahoma

"That looks fair." - Bubba Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Nike insiders are saying that members of the NCAA Selection Committee are reuniting to fill the two Phil Knight Invitational brackets.

Ceiling Bracket

UNC
    Arkansas
    Michigan State
    Stanford
    Texas
    Georgetown
    Portland
    Portland State

Roof Bracket

Duke
    Gonzaga
    Oregon
    Florida
    Butler
    Ohio State
    Connecticut
    Oklahoma

"That looks fair." - Bubba Cunningham
    Alternative nomenclature above.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Way ahead of myself here, but, Grayson homecoming game?

Would there be a separate NC game in Jacksonville, maybe a neutral site game (Jacksonville - site of the 2010 team's first 2 NCAA games) against Florida or a smaller Florida team again as a Grayson homecoming game if he decides to stay?

(Completely off topic but I looked up Jacksonville as a possible opponent - would be an interesting game as they graduate 9 of 11 players, the second most experienced team in the country this year)

Or would K perhaps count the road game at Miami for Grayson's homecoming?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Would there be a separate NC game in Jacksonville, maybe a neutral site game (Jacksonville - site of the 2010 team's first 2 NCAA games) against Florida or a smaller Florida team again as a Grayson homecoming game if he decides to stay?

(Completely off topic but I looked up Jacksonville as a possible opponent - would be an interesting game as they graduate 9 of 11 players, the second most experienced team in the country this year)

He will also have had at least two games in Tallahassee, which isn't exactly Jacksonville, but is probably close enough that any of his friends and relatives who wanted to attend could have. I think the point of the 'homecoming' games is for guys whose hometowns are outside our normal region, like Scheyer in Chicago (before the Champions Classic sent us there regularly) and Singler in Oregon. Guys like Matt Jones, Amile Jefferson, and all the Plumlees got de facto 'homecoming' games in their nearby big cities through the tournament at some point during their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Okay, it's early, but let's start putting together what info we can glean about next year's schedule.

First, the good news -- after playing the toughest ACC unbalanced schedule that it's possible to play, we get a much more reasonable lineup in the league next year.

You remember this year, the ACC put nine teams in the NCAA and Duke played all eight of the possible NCAA teams on the road ... plus Syracuse, which was probably the greatest home/road split in the league.

Next year's ACC schedule involves home-and-home with UNC and Wake Forest (our permanent partners, we get them every year) and a home-and- home with Virginia Tech and Pitt. We play road only games with Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Boston College and N.C. State ... we get home only games with Notre Dame, Virginia, Louisville, Florida State and Syracuse.

That's a MUCH easier schedule -- the two games with Pitt are nice (they lose all five starters) and while I'm not saying any of these will be easy, but playing at BC, Clemson, Georgia Tech is much easier than playing at Louisville, Virginia and Notre Dame. Plus we get Syracuse at home (I know we lost to them in Cameron in 2016, but they are still much more vulnerable on the road).

Okay, we also know that we get Michigan State in the Champions Classic -- we had Kansas this season and Kentucky the year before. A good game on a neutral court against an improving team (they were awfully young this season).

Getting Michigan State early means it's VERY unlikely we get the Spartans in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. No clue who we do get, although it's almost certain we get a road game (after two straight home games). Best guess is that Duke will face one of the teams coming off a road game in the challenge -- that means Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State, Rutgers or Nebraska (also Michigan State, but we won't get them). Knowing that ESPN sets the matchups and wants a premier opponent for Duke, it won't be Rutgers or Nebraska.

I was hoping this was the year we return to Maui, but that's in November 2018 (we're there with Gonzaga, Arizona, Illinois, Xavier, Iowa State and Auburn).

We are pretty certain to have a significant game in Madison Square Garden just before Christmas.

Anyway, that's as far as I can take it. I welcome additions as they become known.
    Thanks for all the schedule information, to which I'll return many times between now and the official schedule's release this summer! I hope Duke adds a non-conference game between the last pre-Christmas game and the start of ACC play. This past season we had 9 days off between Elon on 12/21 and VPI on 12/31. Let's go, Duke!("Only" 6 months until the start of practice!)

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post

Tallasahee might work, it is 165 miles from Jacksonville, Jacksonville to Miami is 350 miles. Durham to Jacksonville is 475 miles.

Let's hope that Grayson gives K a reason to schedule a homecoming game wherever it ends up being played!

Great breakdown here and for awhile I've been thinking about how the brutal road games this year will turn into home games next year and vice versa. However the only note of caution should be we're never entirely sure what teams will look like this far out. Check out this hot take from last summer saying Duke had an easy non-conference sked this year:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...to-be-desired/

Turned out to be wrong as Kansas and Florida were elite 8 and even Rhode Island came within a few plays of beating Oregon. AND of course Duke wasn't as good as we thought they were going to be. FWIW I would guess Ohio State or Purdue for the Challenge.

2017-2018 Schedule News

Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 17m17 minutes ago

Duke faces Portland State in PK80. Also in same bracket with Florida, Stanford, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Butler and Texas

I guess this means Duke won't play Ohio State in the ACC-B1G Challenge

Bracket #1 Conference Bracket #2
    Duke ACC UNC
    Stanford Pac 12 Oregon
    Ohio St Big 10 Michigan St
    Gonzaga x UConn
    Butler Big East Georgetown
    Florida SEC Arkansas
    Texas Big 12 Oklahoma
    Portland St x Portland
    Holy moly. I went 16 for 16 on my guesses. I just didn't quite seed the teams correctly.

http://pkinvitational.com/brackets/

Knight Brackets Released

The two 8-team tourney brackets have been released

Duke will open against Portland State on Nov. 23, then face either Butler or Texas in the second game the 24th. The teams in the other half of the bracket are Florida, Gonzaga, Ohio State and Stanford.

In the other bracket, the Cheats open against Portland, then face either Arkansas or Oklahoma. That means they won't come up against Michigan State or Oregon until the finals. Georgetown and UConn are also in that bracket.