Thread: NHL Playoffs

NHL Playoffs

Anyone else watching? Everyone around here (Asheville) is all in on Predators.

With a couple small-market teams in the finals, it's probably off the radar for most casual sports fans. As a Pens fan, I was expecting another boring, grind-it-out, defensive-minded opponent like Ottawa, until people started throwing catfish around. (Wouldn't it have been funny if the Trumpster's "confefe" got spell-checked into "catfish"? You're right, probably not...)

Anyway, of the four major American sports (no, soccer, you're still not on the list), I usually ignore hockey until the playoffs, especially because basketball in all its forms takes priority (except for threads about dividing up the minutes next season).

Well, I need a new monitor and keyboard after reading this piece in The Ringer from Mark Titus and spewing carbonated beverages all over the desk:
    https://theringer.com/2017-stanley-c...w-6aa380f6e6c4

Also, Pittsburgh's Mayor Bill Peduto for the win. He must be reading DBR in his spare time: http://pittsburghpa.gov/mayor/release?id=7371

"This has turned into a whale of a story. From my perch, I agree with Mayor Barry that we shouldn't be baited into interfering with this fish tale, but if the charges eventually make their way to a judge I hope the predatory catfish hurler who got the hook last night is simply sentenced to community service, perhaps cleaning fish at Wholey's."

"Is that a run-over, vacuum-sealed, Old-Spice-smelling catfish in your compression shorts, or are you just glad to see me?"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    With a couple small-market teams in the finals, it's probably off the radar for most casual sports fans. As a Pens fan, I was expecting another boring, grind-it-out, defensive-minded opponent like Ottawa, until people started throwing catfish around. (Wouldn't it have been funny if the Trumpster's "confefe" got spell-checked into "catfish"? You're right, probably not...)

Anyway, of the four major American sports (no, soccer, you're still not on the list), I usually ignore hockey until the playoffs, especially because basketball in all its forms takes priority (except for threads about dividing up the minutes next season).

Well, I need a new monitor and keyboard after reading this piece in The Ringer from Mark Titus and spewing carbonated beverages all over the desk:
    https://theringer.com/2017-stanley-c...w-6aa380f6e6c4

Also, Pittsburgh's Mayor Bill Peduto for the win. He must be reading DBR in his spare time: http://pittsburghpa.gov/mayor/release?id=7371

"This has turned into a whale of a story. From my perch, I agree with Mayor Barry that we shouldn't be baited into interfering with this fish tale, but if the charges eventually make their way to a judge I hope the predatory catfish hurler who got the hook last night is simply sentenced to community service, perhaps cleaning fish at Wholey's."

"Is that a run-over, vacuum-sealed, Old-Spice-smelling catfish in your compression shorts, or are you just glad to see me?"
    It's spelled "covfefe" (no N). Don't mix it up with "savseves", which are cat fish on ice.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    ...Anyway, of the four major American sports (no, soccer, you're still not on the list)...
    This fact always cheers me up.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

We're going to back up our pickup and run over that catfish a few more times. A Pittsburgh columnist is having a go at making a country song out of it, and even talked to a couple of songwriters who came up with a few verses. One did a verse to "Alice's Restaurant" (author's comment: "Ask an old hippie") that scans pretty well.

You can’t toss anything like that
    At a Predators hockey match
    Cuz Jake Waddell took a Tennessee cat
    A fish with a head real big and fat
    But his slap shot missed with a big ol’ splat
    At the Predators’ hockey match

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/...s/201706010033

He's asked alert readers to send in their entries if they are so motivated. Also I need to google the lyrics to "I Was the Catholic at Jonestown; They Sent Me Out for Ice"...

Nashville up 2-1 in the second period. Fun intensity playing out right now.