Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Movie sequels

Because I just watched it yesterday, I want to say John Wick 2 is a very good sequel for those who enjoyed John Wick 1. Just be aware that the ending is mostly setup for the third film and leaves no doubt that there will be a third film, similar to some sequels like Empire Strikes Back (not comparing quality of the two flicks, obviously). John Wick 2 has excellent world-building / mythology-building in addition to the artsy, beautifully choreographed, marathon close-range gunfighting from the first film. This is just an action movie franchise that I've really enjoyed so far.

Michael Caine had a great quote about making movies. I'm mostly paraphrasing it but he said, "Sometimes you make a movie because the story speaks to you. Sometimes it's because you admire the Director or the other actors. And sometimes you make one because you want another beach house."

I would put Jaws 4 in that last category.

PS - thought John Wick 2 was good, not great. Not nearly as good as John Wick. But am looking forward to third installment.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    As a niche, there's the absurdly low-budget to less-low-budget category.

I submit 2 entries:

El Mariachi to Desperado. El Mariachi being filmed, as far as I understand it, off the money generated by Robert Rodriguez and his friends signing up for a variety of medical testing protocols and whatever else they could scrape together. This gets us the wildly fun and silly Desperado, which introduced the world (me at least) to Selma Hayek at her most breathtaking gorgeous. Thank you, world.

Evil Dead to Evil Dead 2. Evil Dead being filmed off of a few thousand bucks, the crazy creativity of Sam Raimi, and the gleeful spirit of Bruce Campbell at Michigan State. Which led to sequel/remake/insane genius of Evil Dead 2, one of the most rewatchable horror comedy spectacles I have ever seen. That even got us Army of Darkness and some of the best cheesy one liners of all time.

Disappointing sequels category:
    Escape from LA. Needs no explanation.

I was going to mention the Evil Dead sequels -- maybe the great B-movie series of all times.

Thinking of awful sequels, I remembered Slap Shot 2 -- the followup of the funniest sports movie ever was so bad, it was released direct to video.

But thinking of sports movies and sequels, I thought Major League to Major League II was nice transition... but Major League III ran off the tracks. I also thouh Bad News Bears went gradually down hill. The original was a fine, original comedy. The second was watchable ("Let them play!"). The third was godawful.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Worst sequel: how about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Horrible.

A nominee (not yet mentioned) for best sequel: After the Thin Man.
    Dude I LOVE Temple of Doom! That's my childhood!

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Worst sequel: how about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Horrible.
    Disqualified, because it's not a sequel. Raiders of the Lost Ark takes place in 1936. Temple of Doom takes place in 1935.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I was going to mention the Evil Dead sequels -- maybe the great B-movie series of all times.

Thinking of awful sequels, I remembered Slap Shot 2 -- the followup of the funniest sports movie ever was so bad, it was released direct to video.

But thinking of sports movies and sequels, I thought Major League to Major League II was nice transition... but Major League III ran off the tracks. I also thouh Bad News Bears went gradually down hill. The original was a fine, original comedy. The second was watchable ("Let them play!"). The third was godawful.
    https://youtu.be/qq4gK8PkKNM

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Disqualified, because it's not a sequel. Raiders of the Lost Ark takes place in 1936. Temple of Doom takes place in 1935.
    Anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    https://youtu.be/qq4gK8PkKNM
    People, it is so easy to embed a YouTube video on this site.

Featuring Jackie Earl Haley, back before he became an ink blot in the arctic.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Anything goes.
    Wait, are you saying that this wasn't the perfect way to start an Indiana Jones movie? I mean, you say, "Indy," and I think, "foreign language chorus line."

I swear, when Spielberg was screening this film, he must have seen this opening and thought, "I just can't do this. It is awful. I'm cutting all of this out of the film." And then he remembered that he was sleeping with Kate Capshaw so he left it in.

-Jason "still, I'll take that awfulness over Shia using jungle vines to catch up to a pair of speeding vehicles or Marion driving the jeep off a cliff" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wait, are you saying that this wasn't the perfect way to start an Indiana Jones movie? I mean, you say, "Indy," and I think, "foreign language chorus line."

I swear, when Spielberg was screening this film, he must have seen this opening and thought, "I just can't do this. It is awful. I'm cutting all of this out of the film." And then he remembered that he was sleeping with Kate Capshaw so he left it in.

-Jason "still, I'll take that awfulness over Shia using jungle vines to catch up to a pair of speeding vehicles or Marion driving the jeep off a cliff" Evans
    Haha. I actually love this part. Spielberg said he always wanted to do a Berkley style musical and this was his chance. In the book (yes I read it as a kid) this was in Willie's head as she dreamt of being a Broadway star.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Some notably bad sequels:
    Highlander2
    Hey now...
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Interestingly, both Alien and Aliens are in my Top 5 lists.

Alien in Top 5 scary movies:

5. The Ring
    4. Alien
    3. Jaws
    2. The Exorcist
    1. Halloween

Aliens in Top 5 greatest sequels:

5. X-men 2
    4. Spider-Man 2
    3. Aliens
    2. Star Trek - Wrath of Khan
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    My first reaction in reading this was "There weren't aliens in X2 or Spidey 2, were there?" Realized you meant the movie "Aliens" was in your list of top 5 sequels.

Coincidentally, the top 3 in your sequel list all include actual Aliens
    "There can BE only one."

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Hey now...
    Your sig line sums it up nicely... there can be only one... but they made 2

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Because I just watched it yesterday, I want to say John Wick 2 is a very good sequel for those who enjoyed John Wick 1. Just be aware that the ending is mostly setup for the third film and leaves no doubt that there will be a third film, similar to some sequels like Empire Strikes Back (not comparing quality of the two flicks, obviously). John Wick 2 has excellent world-building / mythology-building in addition to the artsy, beautifully choreographed, marathon close-range gunfighting from the first film. This is just an action movie franchise that I've really enjoyed so far.
    I recently caught this one as well. By the end of the movie, two subtitles came to mind:

John Wick: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

and

john Wick: A man and his dog

I thought it was fantastic. Unrealistic of course, but that's half the fun. Can't wait to catch the next one. I'm a bit surprised it didn't do better, but it did double the box office of the first film and pulled in $166 million on a $40 million budget. I wonder how much of that budget was spent on fake blood

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I recently caught this one as well. By the end of the movie, two subtitles came to mind:

John Wick: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

and

john Wick: A man and his dog

I thought it was fantastic. Unrealistic of course, but that's half the fun. Can't wait to catch the next one. I'm a bit surprised it didn't do better, but it did double the box office of the first film and pulled in $166 million on a $40 million budget. I wonder how much of that budget was spent on fake blood
    For sure! A realistic 1-on-50 gunfight would be boring and nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing.