Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Anybody watch the championship? That was the only game I watched. Pretty fun with a back and forth affair but actually the ending wasn't as dramatic with the Ohio St alumni taking control and then winning on FTs which isn't as much fun. Regardless, I like the ending personally.
    Agree it seems anticlimactic at first, but then I thought about the pressure of stepping to the line knowing you can end the game right there. Could you make a free throw with $2 million on the line? Kind of like a last-minute penalty kick in soccer. It really amps up the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Anybody watch the championship? That was the only game I watched. Pretty fun with a back and forth affair but actually the ending wasn't as dramatic with the Ohio St alumni taking control and then winning on FTs which isn't as much fun. Regardless, I like the ending personally.
    I watched the final. I thought that, despite the somewhat anti-climatic ending of the Ohio State alumni winning the game with a made free throw, the Elam Ending probably provided a better finish (from a casual viewer's perspective) than what would likely have happened with the normal rules.

Based on this play-by-play description, it appears that Buford's game winning free throw put the Ohio State team up by 6 with what would have been 1:10 on the clock in a normal game. If there was still 1:10 left on the clock, I would expect a "normal" game to end with a series of increasingly more desperate three point attempts by the Marquette team, followed by a series of time consuming series trips to the free throw line by Ohio State (interrupted by a several timeouts by both coaches). Now if Marquette made a couple threes and Ohio State missed a couple free throws, this might have led to a more compelling viewing experience. However, the odds a pretty good that a "normal" game would have taken 10+ minutes of real time without ever getting closer than 4 points. At some point, if I was a casual viewer, I might change the channel during one of the commercial breaks and not go back.

####################

One other thing that occurred to me last night is that, while the Elam Ending succeeds in removing the incentive for the trailing team to foul intentionally, I wonder if it creates scenarios where the leading team has an incentive to foul intentionally. For example, in last night's game, Marquette had the ball needing 6 points to win. At this point, Ohio State only needed 2 points (one basket) to win. Marquette's best chance of winning probably involved making a pair of 3 pointers and getting one defensive stop.

If I am Ohio State, why not foul intentionally every time Marquette gets the ball? If this happens, Marquette's best chance is probably to make all their free throws. Even if this happens, Ohio State is guaranteed to get at least two possessions to get the one basket they need to win. More realistically, Marquette is probably going to miss at least one free throw (a 70% shooter only has about a 10% chance of making six in a row). In this case Ohio State gets now gets at least three possessions to make the one basket they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Agree it seems anticlimactic at first, but then I thought about the pressure of stepping to the line knowing you can end the game right there. Could you make a free throw with $2 million on the line? Kind of like a last-minute penalty kick in soccer. It really amps up the pressure.
    I suppose the closest the Elam Ending gets to the feeling of a do-or-die buzzer beater is when each team is within one basket of winning. While no single shot is going to be win or lose the game, the stakes are very high for each possession.

I guess this scenario probably feels somewhat like Duke's final possession versus Kansas in 2018. If Grayson's shot goes in, Duke wins. If he misses, the game goes on. If you compound that feeling over a couple possessions (if each team keeps getting stops) and you get some pretty good drama. But still nothing like the drama of the Laettner or Heyward shots.

But uh...isn't ending the game at the free throw line supposed to be what the Elam ending solves? I thought we had (apparently) decided that wasn't an acceptable ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    But uh...isn't ending the game at the free throw line supposed to be what the Elam ending solves? I thought we had (apparently) decided that wasn't an acceptable ending.
    I think it’s trying to end the all too common parade of free throws...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think it’s trying to end the all too common parade of free throws...

-jk

Sorry, I was just kind of being tongue in cheek ("free throws at the end of games are terrible, but this free throw at the end of the game was what basketball is all about!"), I do understand that. I just think the Elam ending is a bad solution. Neat, but not something I want to see 30-60 times a year or whatever while watching basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sorry, I was just kind of being tongue in cheek ("free throws at the end of games are terrible, but this free throw at the end of the game was what basketball is all about!"), I do understand that. I just think the Elam ending is a bad solution. Neat, but not something I want to see 30-60 times a year or whatever while watching basketball.
    That's a fair point.

I was trying to come up with a comparison of a game where un-timed free throws decided the outcome. The only one I could think of was the 2005 Conference USA finals, which is one of the most agonizing, gut-wrenching things I've ever seen on a basketball court:

Not sure how this evidence weighs in favor or against the Elam ending, just wanted to point out this historical precedent.

That's a fair point.

I was trying to come up with a comparison of a game where un-timed free throws decided the outcome. The only one I could think of was the 2005 Conference USA finals, which is one of the most agonizing, gut-wrenching things I've ever seen on a basketball court:

Not sure how this evidence weighs in favor or against the Elam ending, just wanted to point out this historical precedent.
    Darius Washington's miss in the aforementioned game inspired a Phish song, "The Line". It's not their best song, but interesting source material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OcUhg2ttOM

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I watched the final. I thought that, despite the somewhat anti-climatic ending of the Ohio State alumni winning the game with a made free throw, the Elam Ending probably provided a better finish (from a casual viewer's perspective) than what would likely have happened with the normal rules.

Based on this play-by-play description, it appears that Buford's game winning free throw put the Ohio State team up by 6 with what would have been 1:10 on the clock in a normal game. If there was still 1:10 left on the clock, I would expect a "normal" game to end with a series of increasingly more desperate three point attempts by the Marquette team, followed by a series of time consuming series trips to the free throw line by Ohio State (interrupted by a several timeouts by both coaches). Now if Marquette made a couple threes and Ohio State missed a couple free throws, this might have led to a more compelling viewing experience. However, the odds a pretty good that a "normal" game would have taken 10+ minutes of real time without ever getting closer than 4 points. At some point, if I was a casual viewer, I might change the channel during one of the commercial breaks and not go back.

####################

One other thing that occurred to me last night is that, while the Elam Ending succeeds in removing the incentive for the trailing team to foul intentionally, I wonder if it creates scenarios where the leading team has an incentive to foul intentionally. For example, in last night's game, Marquette had the ball needing 6 points to win. At this point, Ohio State only needed 2 points (one basket) to win. Marquette's best chance of winning probably involved making a pair of 3 pointers and getting one defensive stop.

If I am Ohio State, why not foul intentionally every time Marquette gets the ball? If this happens, Marquette's best chance is probably to make all their free throws. Even if this happens, Ohio State is guaranteed to get at least two possessions to get the one basket they need to win. More realistically, Marquette is probably going to miss at least one free throw (a 70% shooter only has about a 10% chance of making six in a row). In this case Ohio State gets now gets at least three possessions to make the one basket they need.

Kidding aside, this is a really interesting angle I hadn't thought about while casually following this thread since it resurfaced. It seems to make sense for the winning team to foul in the scenario you described. I guess it's somewhat similar to the winning team fouling intentionally while up three to prevent the losing team from having the ability to tie the game with one shot. But with the Elam ending, that strategy could play out over a greater number of possessions if the winning team struggles to get those final points.

I know the bookmakers would find a way but seems like it would be more difficult to handicap games this way. A lot of people are still watching 21 point blowouts with bated breath and every made or missed free throw is meaningful. Let’s not underestimate how much gambling drives revenue for televised sporting events.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I know the bookmakers would find a way but seems like it would be more difficult to handicap games this way. A lot of people are still watching 21 point blowouts with bated breath and every made or missed free throw is meaningful. Let’s not underestimate how much gambling drives revenue for televised sporting events.
    I think the Elam Ending is perfect for bookmakers. They will still be able to handicap games and additionally there will be plenty of live betting opportunities once the Elam Ending's target score is set. People will still be watching 21 point blowouts with bated breath. I think the Elam Ending could have an impact on the over/under. With less intentional fouling at the end of games, point totals should be lower on average.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Kidding aside, this is a really interesting angle I hadn't thought about while casually following this thread since it resurfaced. It seems to make sense for the winning team to foul in the scenario you described. I guess it's somewhat similar to the winning team fouling intentionally while up three to prevent the losing team from having the ability to tie the game with one shot. But with the Elam ending, that strategy could play out over a greater number of possessions if the winning team struggles to get those final points.

Ah yes, the law of unintended consequences rearing its head.

Dereck Lively tries the Elam Ending.

Despite being down eight points when the clock was turned off, Phelps made it a close finish, cutting the deficit to two points at 78-76.

The ending also included a one shot and the ball opportunity — a potential four-point swing — for Phelps with the score, 80-76, but Kelley missed the front-end free throw. Phelps’ Malcolm Wisby-Jefferson missed a three-pointer on the ensuing possession.

A few possessions later, Westtown’s Jameel Brown, a Penn State signee, knocked down a three-pointer with his team leading 81-76. Ballgame.

“What we were planning on doing [in the final four minutes] was coming down and executing our half-court offense,” Berger said. “Then we realized that was not gonna work. We better just go and just hope that our kids have enough talent to get us to 84, and obviously our kids had just enough talent.”

Said Lively: “It is new for me, so I’m not opposed to it, but it was something new, so I didn’t know what to do.”
    -jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Dereck Lively tries the Elam Ending.

-jk
    I guess the Elam ending pretty much eliminates stall ball and fouling at the end of the game. I like that.

GoDuke!

The Elam Ending is interesting. I get why people don't like all the fouls and timeouts at the end of games. But I still think basketball has the best end-game in sports, and the clock is an essential part of that. In basketball, the lead can change hands several times in the final minute - I don't know of any other sport where that happens so regularly. The urgency involved in late games, not to mention the strategy, is fundamentally shaped by the clock. I think you would lose a lot, even if you gained something by using the Elam Ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    The Elam Ending is interesting. I get why people don't like all the fouls and timeouts at the end of games. But I still think basketball has the best end-game in sports, and the clock is an essential part of that. In basketball, the lead can change hands several times in the final minute - I don't know of any other sport where that happens so regularly. The urgency involved in late games, not to mention the strategy, is fundamentally shaped by the clock. I think you would lose a lot, even if you gained something by using the Elam Ending.

Elam ending doesn't preclude lead changes. If the score is close when the clock is shut off it can be back and forth until the target score is hit. It's just about getting buckets and not managing time, but there is still plenty of urgency. The dynamic is certainly different, but games played this way still have a lot of late game excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Elam ending doesn't preclude lead changes. If the score is close when the clock is shut off it can be back and forth until the target score is hit. It's just about getting buckets and not managing time, but there is still plenty of urgency. The dynamic is certainly different, but games played this way still have a lot of late game excitement.
    Yeah, and it also eliminates the "foul and pray they miss the FTs" aspect of the end-game, which basically causes the end-game to stop being basketball.

I'm still intrigued by the idea, and I'd love to see it in a meaningless game to see how it would actually play out. There are certainly appealing parts of the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    That's fair. I just feel that managing the clock is such an integral part of basketball strategy. And there's nothing like watching the final seconds tick down knowing that this is it, one way or the other. When a team trails by 1, then shoots a buzzer beater, you know that the game hinges on that one shot. The Elam Ending doesn't have that.

I saw an idea somewhere. Play normal basketball for 40 minutes. Then, if tied, use the Elam Ending for overtime - first to 10 points or something. I'd be open to some experimentation in pre-season tournaments or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    We could save time and make it the first to 21 wins.
    Then call it the hoo rule
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    That's fair. I just feel that managing the clock is such an integral part of basketball strategy. And there's nothing like watching the final seconds tick down knowing that this is it, one way or the other. When a team trails by 1, then shoots a buzzer beater, you know that the game hinges on that one shot. The Elam Ending doesn't have that.

I saw an idea somewhere. Play normal basketball for 40 minutes. Then, if tied, use the Elam Ending for overtime - first to 10 points or something. I'd be open to some experimentation in pre-season tournaments or the like.
    We could barely get soccer in the US on the non-countdown clock model. The elam ending is reasonable enough, but unlikely to ever be accepted.

Shooting FTs at the end of a game of basketball is as much of the game as pulling the goalie at the end of a hockey game. It's just part of the sport. THAT said, I think there are ways to mitigate the negative impact of it...like...when there's a foul, how about the teams go shoot the FTs instead of having unofficial timeouts on the court, followed by an unofficial timeout on the bench, followed by the ref nagging the teams to come over, followed by the teams getting those last 5-10s of timeout before the ref will nag them again, followed by lollygagging it over to the FT line, arguing about who stands where, the ref making sure all 10 players on the floor, both benches, the scorers table and every fan in the stands knows how many shots there are, then passing the ball to the shooter.

you get 15s after the foul is called. the ref passes the ball to the shooter, and he gets 10s to shoot. You stay on your spot after the first shot. No high fiving the world, talking about what you're going to have for dinner or what your grandma got you for christmas. 5s and the ref passes you the ball again.

Free throws are like a 2 minute ordeal and there's no reason they should take more than 30s.
    1200. DDMF.