1983 ACCT Final - NC State vs UVA

For any old timers, or semi-old timers, like me who are still up at this hour... The '83 ACCT Final is on ACCN right now. I have very fond memories of this game as a 10 year old. Duke had a pretty rough season and was thoroughly defeated by UVA 1st round of the tournament (that isn't so fond). But by this game it became apparent that something magical was going on with NC State. They had just defeated UNC in overtime. Interestingly they would face UVA one more time. The rosters on both these teams really bring back memories.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    For any old timers, or semi-old timers, like me who are still up at this hour... The '83 ACCT Final is on ACCN right now. I have very fond memories of this game as a 10 year old. Duke had a pretty rough season and was thoroughly defeated by UVA 1st round of the tournament (that isn't so fond). But by this game it became apparent that something magical was going on with NC State. They had just defeated UNC in overtime. Interestingly they would face UVA one more time. The rosters on both these teams really bring back memories.
    I watched some of it. Dick Vitale was calling the game, but back then he operated at a surprisingly low volume (both sound level and content). I wonder if he and Jim Valvano were friends at the time.

I know NC State won the game because I remember listening to Valvano's audiobook of They Gave Me a Lifetime Contract and Then They Declared Me Dead, read by the author. He said something like, "I thought we would get assigned to a nearby site, having beaten UNC and Virginia to win the ACC Tournament. But they sent us to Corvallis, Oregon."

Essential listening. Of course this was a cassette tape played in a 1992 Toyota Corolla. The audiobook is a little harder to find now. I'd have better luck finding that Corolla.

1983's Cardiac Kids (do I have that right? or Cardiac Pack?) was the all-time Cinderella story in the NCAAT, in my viewing lifetime anyway.
    They're not even in the NCCAs without winning the ACCT first, and that was a Cinderella story all on its own.

Yes. This is all from memory, so I may have confused some details:

Dereck Whittenburg broke his foot early in the season, and State finished 6th in the regular season. They had to win the tournament to get an NCAA bid. They upset Carolina and then UVa to win the tournament. And Whittenburg was back for the post season.

This was Valvano’s 3rd season (he and Coach K were both hired in 1980). The seniors on the team (Whittenburg, Sidney Lowe, and Thurl Bailey) were actually Norm Sloan’s recruits.

As I recall, Valvano and Coach K were often compared back then (similar age, hired the same year, comparable coaching and playing backgrounds). When State won the National Championship in his 3rd season, giving the ACC 2 NCs in a row, many people thought Valvano would be the more successful of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I watched some of it. Dick Vitale was calling the game, but back then he operated at a surprisingly low volume (both sound level and content). I wonder if he and Jim Valvano were friends at the time.

I know NC State won the game because I remember listening to Valvano's audiobook of They Gave Me a Lifetime Contract and Then They Declared Me Dead, read by the author. He said something like, "I thought we would get assigned to a nearby site, having beaten UNC and Virginia to win the ACC Tournament. But they sent us to Corvallis, Oregon."

Essential listening. Of course this was a cassette tape played in a 1992 Toyota Corolla. The audiobook is a little harder to find now. I'd have better luck finding that Corolla.
    Dude!?!? Spoilers!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...441404587.html
    Only 96K miles!
    01111_e6tysTxOBRBz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post

Dereck Whittenburg broke his foot early in the season, and State finished 6th in the regular season. They had to win the tournament to get an NCAA bid. They upset Carolina and then UVa to win the tournament. And Whittenburg was back for the post season.

This was Valvano’s 3rd season (he and Coach K were both hired in 1980). The seniors on the team (Whittenburg, Sidney Lowe, and Thurl Bailey) were actually Norm Sloan’s recruits.

As I recall, Valvano and Coach K were often compared back then (similar age, hired the same year, comparable coaching and playing backgrounds). When State won the National Championship in his 3rd season, giving the ACC 2 NCs in a row, many people thought Valvano would be the more successful of the two.
    And then NC State had to play UVa again in the regional finals in Utah.

Despite Virginia shooting 63.4% from the field and Ralph Sampson going for 23 pts, 11 rebounds, and 4 blocks, the Wolfpack pulled out a 1-pt win, thanks in large part to Virginia missing crucial FTs in the last minute. Another absolutely amazing part of the Wolfpack's march to the title.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ina-state.html

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    And then NC State had to play UVa again in the regional finals in Utah.

Despite Virginia shooting 63.4% from the field and Ralph Sampson going for 23 pts, 11 rebounds, and 4 blocks, the Wolfpack pulled out a 1-pt win, thanks in large part to Virginia missing crucial FTs in the last minute. Another absolutely amazing part of the Wolfpack's march to the title.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ina-state.html
    The Wolfpack just kept fouling when behind the rest of the way through the NCAAS, and teams continued to choke. It was a ballsy move that paid off. I think it's why I'm always harping on Duke when they miss too many FTs - it may kill us eventually (JWill, Barrett, etc.).

I'd say State's run was right up there with Butler's. If Butler had beaten Duke, it would have been the greatest Cinderella story in my viewing lifetime (perhaps Texas Western in '66 was the greatest?). Thankfully, Butler's is not.

9F x 20
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    The Wolfpack just kept fouling when behind the rest of the way through the NCAAS, and teams continued to choke. It was a ballsy move that paid off.
    IIRC (and there is always a first time), as Dean was to the shot-clock, Jimmy V was to the double-bonus.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    IIRC (and there is always a first time), as Dean was to the shot-clock, Jimmy V was to the double-bonus.
    You got me thinking, so I looked it up and found an apparent Syracuse fan site (legit or not) that has an interesting history of rule changes.

http://www.orangehoops.org/NCAA/NCAA...%20Changes.htm

According to this:

>>1983-1984
    >>Two free throws are issued if a foul occurs in the last two minutes of a half or in overtime.

I do seem to remember this for a hot minute, which is probably what you are thinking of. Could definitely be a Valvano artifact.

>>1990-1991
    >>Beginning with the teams 10th foul in a half, two free throws are to be awarded for each personal foul.

Could have been an evolution of Valvano, but I think State had already declared him dead at this point.

Personally, I love making players hit FTs. Even Hack-a-Shaq. It's a part of the game, and it really puts pressure on somebody when the game is on the line. Which is why we all love Christian Laettner.

9F x 20
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post

State finished 8-6 in the RS which tied them with Maryland for 3rd. Whittenburg was back late in the RS and they actually beat UNC at Reynolds late in the RS. Whit’s injury did send them into a tailspin for some time, though. Debatable whether they had to win the ACCT to get in the NCAAT - only 48 teams got in back then so they were on the fringe, but of course winning the ACCT removed all doubt.

They were dead in the water in their first NCAAT game against Pepperdine, but Pepperdine missed a ton of FTs to let them back in it. No double bonus in those days - all non-shooting fouls were 1 and 1.