Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Brian Bowen says he will announce on Saturday afternoon...

...but this is one announcement with zero drama because yesterday Bowen enrolled in summer school classes at Louisville. He waited so long to make his pick, he got scooped by his own matriculation. That doesn't happen very often!

I suppose Bowen could still pick some other school, but it sure seems like he is a lock for Louisville. They are going to be quite good next season. I put them along side Duke as the pre-season conference favorites.

-Jason "Pitino always does a great job of landing guys who can D it up... Bowen is no exception" Evans
    I'll bet the Crystal Ball prediction will look pretty favorable for Looeyville today

Reviving this thread as some preseason ACC nuggets have come out this week...although it's mid-summer, not spring, so perhaps mods could find a more suitable home? I couldn't find a more relevant thread on the first few pages of the forum.

First, Matt Norlander over at CBSSports gives some general ACC hoops analysis, including his early power rankings. He tabs Miami as the top contender in the league, with unx second, and Duke taking the bronze.
    http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...nd-louisville/

Of course, 24hrs later, Miami super recruit Lonnie Walker tears his meniscus at practice and will miss some-to-all of the season, depending on surgery, recovery, & rehab. Major bummer for a promising player, although certainly not career ending (barring something unforeseen).
    http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...ring-practice/

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Reviving this thread as some preseason ACC nuggets have come out this week...although it's mid-summer, not spring, so perhaps mods could find a more suitable home? I couldn't find a more relevant thread on the first few pages of the forum.

First, Matt Norlander over at CBSSports gives some general ACC hoops analysis, including his early power rankings. He tabs Miami as the top contender in the league, with unx second, and Duke taking the bronze.
    http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...nd-louisville/

Of course, 24hrs later, Miami super recruit Lonnie Walker tears his meniscus at practice and will miss some-to-all of the season, depending on surgery, recovery, & rehab. Major bummer for a promising player, although certainly not career ending (barring something unforeseen).
    http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...ring-practice/
    Ranking UNC no 2 based on Cam Johnson just doesn't make sense to me - seems like the drama of his transfer is influencing his stock - he's good but not THAT good.

Norlander tweeted that Walker might be back in December - good news for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Ranking UNC no 2 based on Cam Johnson just doesn't make sense to me - seems like the drama of his transfer is influencing his stock - he's good but not THAT good.

Norlander tweeted that Walker might be back in December - good news for the kid.
    Agreed, and I think he has Louisville too low. I'd probably go with tri-favorites -- Duke, Miami, Louisville -- with injury luck, schedule luck, and close game luck (or skill if you prefer) deciding who finishes first.

I am not sold on Miami. They lost their best perimeter guy and their best interior guy to graduation. I might argue we are better at all five starting spots and comparable on the bench.

While I think Cam Johnson will replace the overrated Jackson on offense, he won't do it defensively. And their frontcourt is going to be so much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I am not sold on Miami. They lost their best perimeter guy and their best interior guy to graduation. I might argue we are better at all five starting spots and comparable on the bench.

While I think Cam Johnson will replace the overrated Jackson on offense, he won't do it defensively. And their frontcourt is going to be so much worse.
    So who's good in your opinion? Duke has an amazing starting 5 and arguably one of the worst benches in the ACC. Also, Coach K hasn't won the ACC reg season outright since 2006.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    So who's good in your opinion? Duke has an amazing starting 5 and arguably one of the worst benches in the ACC. Also, Coach K hasn't won the ACC reg season outright since 2006.
    What?! Very arguable, I'd say. Even though this team doesn't have the depth of 5-star talent that we've become accustomed to, the talent on Duke's bench is still going to be more than most ACC teams' benches.

A guy like Javin Delaurier probably isn't a bad player; he was just stuck behind 5-star talent last season and therefore didn't play. That won't be a problem for him this season. Nor for White, Tucker, Vrank, etc. I don't know exactly which 2 of those guys will take advantage of this playing time opportunity, but most likely, Duke will have a 6th and 7th man who are good ACC basketball players.

Again, the problem isn't that a 4-star or 3-star player is bad. It's just that at Duke they are stuck behind 5-star talent usually.

The Cheaters will not be bad with good guard play but who plays inside for them?

Roy has the weakest front line to start the season he has had since the 2010 NIT season I just don't seem them as a regular season contender.

Of course what is a regular season championship really mean in the era of unbalance schedules?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think you are either vastly overrating other teams' benches or vastly underrating ours. We have a top-40 recruit sophomore and two top-75 recruit freshmen coming off the bench. Feel free to tell me who on Miami's bench is clearly better than that.

As far as "who is good in the ACC?" I think it is a down year for the conference, and if we stay healthy we should be at the top. I think there are some decent teams out there, but nothing like last year. All the top teams suffered tremendous attrition, and most did not restock sufficiently.

UVa will find a way to be decent. They lost their PG, but have a lot returning and their system just seems to work in the regular season. I think UNC will be decent, but their frontcourt really made that team by generating a bazillion second chances, and all of them are gone. I think Miami will be decent like ast year, but their improvement will be largely a function of other teams getting worse. Louisville should be good despite losing Mitchell, Mathiang, and Johnson. Probably not quite as good, but probably #2. I think Notre Dame will take a step back too with the departures of Vasturia and Beachem, as an already shallow roster gets moreso. But they will still be decent.

Of course, someone has to win games, so some records will get inflated in conference. But I really don't think there is a team that looks better than ours in conference this year.

As for the "Coach K hasn't won an ACC regular season outright since 2006: so? We shared it in 2010. Again, so? Prior to this past March when was the last time we won the ACC tourney? 2011. That is about as long as since we won the regular season, and that drought didn't keep us from cutting down the nets did it?

If you ask me to pick Duke over the field in the ACC, I would not do so without serious odds. But compared to any other specific team? I would absolutely take Duke's squad.