Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    OSU it is next weekend @Hofstra. I'm glad this is in NY instead of DE with the Terps.

Duke alums need to step up and make Shuart Stadium just like the Garden.

Apparently it was Snub Duke Weekend. The knuckleheads who selected IL's All-America team put Guterding third team and Van Raaphorst and Zenker honorable mention. Nothing for Rowe.

Great win for Duke Men's Lax!

Do we know exactly WHEN next weekend Duke plays (at Hofstra) in the next round?

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post

Saturday at noon EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post

Ahhhh, Hofstra. Anyone else remember Richie Schwartz, a top basketball player at Hofstra under Coach Butch van Breda Kolff? He could fill it up.

Something I gained an appreciation for this weekend was Duke's lacrosse facility. I know a lot of schools have great lax tradition, but playing a big game on a football field with dozens of
    irrelevant markers, yard lines, goal posts, etc, is not visually pleasing...Byrd Stadium and the Carrier Dome are good examples...I'd like to see a list of which Division I schools have dedicated lax facilities...*
    * I know Koskinen is shared with soccer, but it actually looks like a lacrosse field...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Something I gained an appreciation for this weekend was Duke's lacrosse facility. I know a lot of schools have great lax tradition, but playing a big game on a football field with dozens of
    irrelevant markers, yard lines, goal posts, etc, is not visually pleasing...Byrd Stadium and the Carrier Dome are good examples...I'd like to see a list of which Division I schools have dedicated lax facilities...*
    * I know Koskinen is shared with soccer, but it actually looks like a lacrosse field...
    I watched some of the Maryland and the Ohio State games on fields filled up with football markings. Oh my God! What a headache-producing experience!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Agreed. Koskinen is especially beautiful in the evening. Lights on the glowing green and surrounded by the big ol' trees. So glad they saved them when they upgraded everything. Love it. We're so lucky.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Agreed. Koskinen is especially beautiful in the evening. Lights on the glowing green and surrounded by the big ol' trees. So glad they saved them when they upgraded everything. Love it. We're so lucky.
    Love, Ima
    Sad that the football renovation ended up destroying a great stand of shade trees on the East side of the stadium...have migrated to the West side for the first time in 30+ years as a result, plus
    my butt gets a bigger seat as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Apparently it was Snub Duke Weekend. The knuckleheads who selected IL's All-America team put Guterding third team and Van Raaphorst and Zenker honorable mention. Nothing for Rowe.
    Hopefully that will be as motivating as Justin Guterding's non-finalist status for the Tewaaraton was.

You look at the Duke roster and see the number of frosh and sophs getting a lot of playing time, and you have to be pleased. Not to mention that now we play defense. Some great young talent.
    Paul, do you know what the incoming recruits look like? I know at least several are UA-AA, but know few details...

Yeah, watching Cuse v Yale last night, with all the white lines it could be tough to follow the flight of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Yeah, watching Cuse v Yale last night, with all the white lines it could be tough to follow the flight of the ball.
    To me a huge problem is figuring what out's out of bounds and what isn't.

I agree - it kept seeming like guys were running out of bounds when they weren't. I know there is a tremendous amount of lacrosse history at the Carrier Dome but between the issues with the field plus the fact that what was likely a decent sized crowd seeming like an ocean of empty seats in such a big stadium, it really is not an ideal place for games. I was also rooting for Yale to pull off the upset so seeing them lose a close one didn't make it any better.

I don't live too far from Hofstra but unfortunately can't make it on Saturday. It looks like Ohio State has some players from metro-NY but we have a lot more, so hopefully the crowd will be pulling for us.

Especially because the lacrosse lines on the Carrier Dome field looked like they were painted in a dark shade of blue. I'm sure the players and officials on the field knew where they were, but they didn't show up on TV well at all.

And I'd somehow missed that Byrd Stadium in College Park is no longer Byrd Stadium -- now it's just Maryland Stadium. Apparently the Board of Regents voted in December of 2015 to take Curley Byrd's name off the stadium because of his segregationist politics.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Especially because the lacrosse lines on the Carrier Dome field looked like they were painted in a dark shade of blue. I'm sure the players and officials on the field knew where they were, but they didn't show up on TV well at all.

And I'd somehow missed that Byrd Stadium in College Park is no longer Byrd Stadium -- now it's just Maryland Stadium. Apparently the Board of Regents voted in December of 2015 to take Curley Byrd's name off the stadium because of his segregationist politics.
    Did not know that...and somehow (knowing the strain on the Terp athletic budget) I suspect they now have themselves a "naming opportunity" worth double figures millions of dollars.
    I imagine that Under Armour Goonwear twit will grab the opportunity.

I had a chance last night to watch a replay of the Hopkins game and one thing that struck me was that Hopkins scored with 1:22 left in the first period to close the score to 4-3, and then won the ensuing faceoff. When Hopkins tried to clear, Justin Guterding made an acrobatic play to intercept a pass and then found Joey Manown for an easy score in front of the goal, which the Hopkins goalie had vacated when he tried to help with the clear. Duke scored again with 20 seconds left in the period to go up 6-3 and that turned out to be the end of the game. As good as Guterding's numbers were, he also made a number of other solid plays that did not show up in the box score.

Also, with the Hopkins goaltending issues, scoring 19 goals may not be that surprising, at least in hindsight. However, I thought holding Hopkins to one goal in the second half was remarkable.

Viewing options for this Saturday's game? I know it is on ESPN-U but we recently downgraded our DISH satellite package and no longer get ESPN-U. I also can't watch it on ESPN-3 because I have to sign in with my DISH account and it won't let me access the games there because of the downgrade. Are there any other viewing options? Online or otherwise?

Did not know that...and somehow (knowing the strain on the Terp athletic budget) I suspect they now have themselves a "naming opportunity" worth double figures millions of dollars.
    I imagine that Under Armour Goonwear twit will grab the opportunity.
    They already sold the naming rights to the field back in 2006 to Chevy Chase Bank, which later was acquired by Capital One. So the facility's full current name is Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium. I guess Capital One Field at Under Armour Stadium will be the next step in its evolution.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015