Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke women's golf in NCAA Regional

I work about 3 miles from UNM Championship course. It got really windy yesterday afternoon while the girls were out on the course. Pepperdine had a real advantage finishing early. It's relatively windy now, but I suspect that it will get much windier in the afternoon. If so, assume that Stanford and Pepperdine will have higher scores.

UNM Championship course is tough but fair when the weather coorperates. I would guess that the girls are bit winded. The course is at about 5,400 ft. in altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I would guess that the girls are bit winded. The course is at about 5,400 ft. in altitude.
    But boy, does the ball go farther.😎

I work about 3 miles from UNM Championship course. It got really windy yesterday afternoon while the girls were out on the course. Pepperdine had a real advantage finishing early. It's relatively windy now, but I suspect that it will get much windier in the afternoon. If so, assume that Stanford and Pepperdine will have higher scores.

UNM Championship course is tough but fair when the weather coorperates. I would guess that the girls are bit winded. The course is at about 5,400 ft. in altitude.
    The Duke women, just finishing the front nine, are tied for 5th at +7. Six teams qualify for nationals. Team #7 is Campbell at +8 and Miami is #8 at +14. Leaders Pepperdine (-1) and Stanford (+2) have yet to tee off.

The regionals are 54 holes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Halfway thru the round we look pretty solid and if the wind's going to kick up then it's to our benefit. I have total confidence in this team. They should make it to the finals; don't need to win, just survive and advance.

Thanks for the updates.

Even though there were severe T-storms just outside of the city, the wind never really picked up too much here. Too bad because Stanford got on a roll. Here is the link for live scoring if you want to follow tomorrow.

http://scoring.golfstatresults.com/p...team&tid=13219
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 05-09-2017 at 05:06 PM.

As of now, 4 of the top 6 teams are from California, and 5 of the top 6 are from the West Coast.

Duke, representing both the East and the South at this point. Let's go Duke!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

After 36 holes the Duke women are in fourth place at +9 (even par today). The top six teams qualify for the finals outside of Chicago. Duke is five shots clear of the seventh place team, Oklahoma State, which is at +14. Stanford is in the lead at -3, but teams that qualify start off even at the NCAA finals beginning on May 19 outside of Chicago.

Time for a super round from the ladies! Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Is this a good course for championship events

Never lived in Albuquerque but it seems like the weather fails to cooperate most of the time, at least in a golf sense, this time of year. One very windy afternoon means that teams that played in the morning had a huge advantage. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Considering that this tournament could end your season, it seems like the wrong venue. I do know that many think its a very good golf course, so not faulting the course, just the weather factor. And it is not like most other sports where everyone has the same weather, here it can be very different am to pm.

I think they have Nationals there next year.

SoCal

Dan Brooks and the Duke Women

Six NC's!! Know how to win!! They should be fine tomorrow, glad they're close to advancing!!

There's nothing like experience in big tourneys to advance. GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Never lived in Albuquerque but it seems like the weather fails to cooperate most of the time, at least in a golf sense, this time of year. One very windy afternoon means that teams that played in the morning had a huge advantage. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Considering that this tournament could end your season, it seems like the wrong venue. I do know that many think its a very good golf course, so not faulting the course, just the weather factor. And it is not like most other sports where everyone has the same weather, here it can be very different am to pm.

I think they have Nationals there next year.

SoCal
    The course is fine. It's hosted plenty of NCAA events. The weather is a bit of a different story. Spring in New Mexico is very unpredictable. On April 29 (just a 10 days ago) I played that course and it was snowing. This past weekend it was 80 and no wind. As I type this, it's too windy to play. They would have suspended play. So, I guess an event in April or May is a bit of a crap shoot.

Btw, metro Albuquerque has several cool courses. If you'd like a rundown let me know and I'll add it to the course thread in the off topic forum.

Btw, metro Albuquerque has several cool courses. If you'd like a rundown let me know and I'll add it to the course thread in the off topic forum.
    Yes, please. I have relatives in Albuquerque that I have been wanting to visit, so course info from the 505 would be most appreciated.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Duke women stepping out smartly on the final day. Now posting a -3 total after three holes (Lisa Maguire has played six). Our margin over the seventh-place team is now ten shots.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke women stepping out smartly on the final day. Now posting a -3 total after three holes (Lisa Maguire has played six). Our margin over the seventh-place team is now ten shots.
    Nice.

Quick update. Duke is now +3 for the day and +12 overall, however, the course is playing very tough and +3 is the second best round going so far (behind Stanford at E). Duke is now up to 3rd and is 12 shots clear of 7th with all Duke players on the back nine.

Again, thanks for the updates!

Duke women now even on the day, best of any team (Stanford is +1, next best today is NCSt at +7 on the day). Duke now in 2nd place in the regional and they appear to be a mortal lock to make the national championship tournament as they are 17 strokes from the #7 team (NCSt).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I love "mortal locks"; almost as good as an "immortal team"

Duke finishes 2nd overall with a score of +9 (873). Stanford wins with a +2 (866). Duke had the best round today at even. Stanford was next best with a +5. The weather here in Albuquerque today was low 60s and nice. Sandy Choi really struggled with a +9 but Lisa Maguire had her best round of the tournament with a +3 to pick up the slack. They were able to drop Sandy's score today. Anna finished T4 and Leona finished T6.

Texas Southern finished last at +206. The second to last team finished +86. How does Texas Southern even qualify for this tournament. Each of their girls, finished in the last five of the individual scoring.