Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    All the OBXers have destroyed the outer banks. When I was a kid there were just cottages on the beach, and they were at least a stones throw apart from one another. You could go inside the Wright Bros Memorial and there was no grass on the hill. Ocracoke was just a day trip to a desolate beach with very little on it. It was just nice to feed the seagulls bread on the ferry and collect undisturbed shells in the shallows. Of course you could go up the lighthouse at its original location, and it was annoying if anyone was within 50 yards of you on the beach (why are those people crowding us?). Oh, and you could build bonfires on the beach and shoot fireworks. No one cared. Now get off my sand! Too late for that of course, but I am glad I got to see many beaches when the only people that actually live on or near the beach were fishermen that made a living at it. Some like the outer banks were just starting to be developed, but sparsely. It is funny to think that once in this country, mostly only the poor lived near the water, and they had the good sense not to live right on it (of course rebuilding would not have been an option). Now the reversal is complete and it is hard to find anything that is remote without paying through the nose. Thanks for the memories - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    All the OBXers have destroyed the outer banks. When I was a kid there were just cottages on the beach, and they were at least a stones throw apart from one another. You could go inside the Wright Bros Memorial and there was no grass on the hill. Ocracoke was just a day trip to a desolate beach with very little on it. It was just nice to feed the seagulls bread on the ferry and collect undisturbed shells in the shallows. Of course you could go up the lighthouse at its original location, and it was annoying if anyone was within 50 yards of you on the beach (why are those people crowding us?). Oh, and you could build bonfires on the beach and shoot fireworks. No one cared. Now get off my sand! Too late for that of course, but I am glad I got to see many beaches when the only people that actually live on or near the beach were fishermen that made a living at it. Some like the outer banks were just starting to be developed, but sparsely. It is funny to think that once in this country, mostly only the poor lived near the water, and they had the good sense not to live right on it (of course rebuilding would not have been an option). Now the reversal is complete and it is hard to find anything that is remote without paying through the nose. Thanks for the memories - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
    Ocracoke abides.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-16-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    I haven't been to Ocracoke in about 20 years - when a seagull pooped on my shoulder while on the ferry. Maybe it's time to forgive and forget, and pay another visit.
    Be careful, birds are like elephants about some things. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Don't forget to tell them they'll need a long ferry ride and there are no McDonald's. In fact, there aren't any chains, not motels, not restaurants, not grocery stores, not gift shops. Everything locally owned.
    For some of us, this is a huge selling point!

That being said, I will be spending a week in Duck this summer - family reunion.