Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Notre Dame today announced their slate of ACC opponents from 2026 through 2037. They had previously announced their ACC opponents through 2025. You can see their release here: http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/s...051117aaa.html.

Duke plays ND:

at Duke: 2027
    at ND: 2030
    at Duke: 2033
    at ND: 2035

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Notre Dame today announced their slate of ACC opponents from 2026 through 2037. They had previously announced their ACC opponents through 2025. You can see their release here: http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/s...051117aaa.html.

Duke plays ND:

at Duke: 2027
    at ND: 2030
    at Duke: 2033
    at ND: 2035
    Those four games are in addition to the previously scheduled:

at Duke 2019
    at Notre Dame 2020
    at Duke 2023

So seven meetings with Notre Dame in the next 18 years -- four in Durham.

So it is going to be another 20 years, minimum, before Notre Dame becomes a real member of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    So it is going to be another 20 years, minimum, before Notre Dame becomes a real member of the conference.
    Nah; if they join, the ACC'll revisit the schedule...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nah; if they join, the ACC'll revisit the schedule...

-jk
    So we play Notre Dame much more frequently than we play the Wolfpack. Gotta love the new ACC😡

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    So we play Notre Dame much more frequently than we play the Wolfpack. Gotta love the new ACC😡
    The "new" ACC was willing to throw the UNC-NCSU rivalry into the river. What makes you think they care about Duke and the Wolfpack?

I am still waiting for the deluge of viewers from New England.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    The "new" ACC was willing to throw the UNC-NCSU rivalry into the river. What makes you think they care about Duke and the Wolfpack?

I am still waiting for the deluge of viewers from New England.
    What about the "deluge" from the Midwest with L'ville and ND part of the ACC now??
    FWIW, the Big Ten hasn't seen much bump from Rutgers and MD either...

'just wish they'd get on with it and formally join the ACC in FB full-time.

Louisville is a top tier basketball market. BC, as all of us know, is not. That may be the dumbest move the league ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    What about the "deluge" from the Midwest with L'ville and ND part of the ACC now??
    FWIW, the Big Ten hasn't seen much bump from Rutgers and MD either...

'just wish they'd get on with it and formally join the ACC in FB full-time.
    You don't think the ACC has gained a boatload of midwest (and national) viewers for the ND football games? Um, wut?

Perhaps I'm missing the sarcasm in your post, and if so, I apologize (although, to be fair, there is no emoji attached). Even UofL playing as well as they have recently, and with Lamar Jackson playing the role of heisman candidate, I'm confident the ACC grabbed some casual viewers from their inclusion in the conference. It certainly did for UofL hoops.

Totally co-sign on your last statement.

I thought I would move this back to the general offseason thread. Here's a pretty good preseason look at the 2017 football team from College Football News. There are a few links, one a general comment on the team (that incorrectly states that Duke will avoid FSU this season ... and that UNC is now good and/or getting better), a look at the offense and defense, and a look at the schedule in general. The moral of their story is that it's a tough time for Duke to be rebuilding while the ACC is now brutal. Their best case scenario is for Duke to finish 9-3 after getting off to a hot start, and the worse case is another 4-8 season. Not to anyone's surprise, the thought is that the offense will need to score more points, since there are question marks about the defense (though singing the praises of our linebackers). In any case, during this slow news time, I think it's worth the look.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/...me-to-struggle

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    In any case, during this slow news time, I think it's worth the look.
    I agree!

Special teams need improvement. Obviously at kicker where we were bad in 2016 but an upgrade at punt return duties is also needed. Ryan Smith wasn't bad, he just wasn't dynamic. Pedestrian is an apt descriptor.

On offense it all starts with the linemen. Three starters return plus graduate transfer Evan Lisle at right tackle so the foundation is there. Younger players need to step up at the skill positions and complement the returning starters. Brittain Brown at running back, sharing the load with Shaun Wilson, and Scott Bracey at wide receiver complementing returning starters T.J. Rahming and Johnathan Lloyd, are two redshirt freshmen everyone will have they eyes on come September. The receiving corps is deep but lacking a true standout receiver. Who will fill the role? Who is going to be the receiver who makes the opponent's defensive coordinator lose sleep?

Obviously, Daniel Jones needs to be better than 2016 and all expectations are that he will be starting with consistency. He finished great after a slow start and one atrocious performance against Virginia. He needs to be great week in and week out.

Defense starts with the two returning starting linebackers who lead the team in tackles in 2016. Joe Giles-Harris with 107 and Ben Humphreys with 106. The defensive line needs to occupy blockers to free those guys up to pursue and conquer. Generating a consistent pass rush is always a concern. The secondary will see new faces in the starting line-up due to graduation. This is another place where youngsters are going to have to shine.

I'm looking forward to it!
    Bob Green

Bob Green's article on the front page about our receiving crew is very well-done. Highly recommend.

Less than three months to go!

Great article Mr. Green looking forward to Duke football in 2017.

Hopefully Coach Cut is building some depth as most of our starters could be starters at other ACC schools but what separates the good teams from average teams is depth.

Kicking game (all aspects) MUST improve it cost us at least 2 possible wins last year that would have put us back in a Bowl Game IMO. Key game IMO is NW we dominated them in the 1980s and early 90s now they are beating us regularly... time to change that trend!!!!

GO DUKE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil549 View Post
    Key game IMO is NW we dominated them in the 1980s and early 90s now they are beating us regularly... time to change that trend!!!!
    Agreed! I have a lot of respect for both the university and their football program, but it's time to start winning some of these again against Northwestern. It goes without saying that Duke football fans' expectations are much higher now with Coach Cutcliffe at the helm and the Duke administration now supporting Duke football...it's their fault!

But seriously, NU is a crucial game in that I'd sure like to see us carry momentum from a win going into the Baylor game. I'd love nothing more than to see us be 3-0 going into the Chapel Hill game...and building on that momentum of course with a win against the university that can't play by the rules.

I personally can't wait until football season. "But Peloton, you say that every year." Yes, it's true and I'm proud to admit it, by God. I'm looking forward to watching Daniel Jones, the running game, the defense, and (most definitely) special teams, improve - it's going to be fun. I'm hoping (and thinking) that we'll take care of business the first few games and carry some real confidence into the latter part of the schedule.

P.S. - I'm also looking forward to seeing venerable Wallace Wade and the latest improvements. Has anyone seen it recently...if so, care to comment?

^ I've been a huge football fan for years, glad to see the team and facilities continuing to improve...the new concourse should really look nice this year.
    And compared with hoops, I especially enjoy seeing a lot of kids progress over four years...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ I've been a huge football fan for years, glad to see the team and facilities continuing to improve...the new concourse should really look nice this year.
    And compared with hoops, I especially enjoy seeing a lot of kids progress over four years...
    I've started feeling that way also. Think this will be another breakout season for football at Duke. Thinking at least one huge upset for us.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I've started feeling that way also. Think this will be another breakout season for football at Duke. Thinking at least one huge upset for us.
    I am hearing from those close to the program that Cut and staff are very upbeat for the coming season, and believe that this is their best team yet in terms of overall talent, depth and experience. Given the tough schedule, that may not translate into the best record in the Cut era, but it nonetheless leaves me very encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I am hearing from those close to the program that Cut and staff are very upbeat for the coming season, and believe that this is their best team yet in terms of overall talent, depth and experience. Given the tough schedule, that may not translate into the best record in the Cut era, but it nonetheless leaves me very encouraged.
    Please, no major injuries . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Please, no major injuries . . . .
    Agreed! Also, let's hope everyone will continue to meet the standards of being a member of the Duke football program, as we've had some pretty talented guys dismissed over the last few years.

The roster has been updated with the incoming freshmen at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...43&SPSID=22667
    Bob Green