Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Halftime is supposed to be shorter this year by improved enforcement. We'll see.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...168854237.html
    I'll take a long halftime if we shorten TV timeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'll take a shorter halftime and shorter TV timeouts, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I'll take a shorter halftime and shorter TV timeouts, thanks.
    And the often painfully long "the play is under further review."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Perhaps nothing new here but a short read while we count down the days to the NCCU game:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...168712647.html
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Apparently, Sirk will be the back up at ECU as Scottie has named his starter. I still hope he gets to play a fair bit.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Apparently, Sirk will be the back up at ECU as Scottie has named his starter. I still hope he gets to play a fair bit.
    I wonder if Cut told or tried to encourage Thomas not to play football anymore, given his injury situation?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I wonder if Cut told or tried to encourage Thomas not to play football anymore, given his injury situation?
    I don't think he did. I know that before Sirk's transfer, Cut was exploring creative ways to use him -- he did say that Jones was the starter and Sirk was going to have to earn playing time. He was thinking about using Sirk in the Connette package and maybe as a slot-back -- in addition to as a backup QB. Of course, it was all speculation because since the end of the Indiana game, Sirk NEVER got back on the field for Duke (well, never in full pads and even light contact). Cut knew he was going to have to wait and see what he could do before using him.

But I definitely believe he did NOT discourage Sirk from returning. Sirk transferred because he wanted to be THE quarterback. That wasn't going to happen at Duke. Sorry to hear that it's not happening at ECU --at least not yet.

Note: Just one more comment about Sirk's injury issues. He suffered three major Achillies' injuries, but not one was due to contact. All occurred when he was merely running. He was hurt a couple of times on the field (he missed the Pitt game late in the 2015 season and was knocked out of the Indiana game on the next-to-last play), but he recovered from those injuries fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't think he did. I know that before Sirk's transfer, Cut was exploring creative ways to use him -- he did say that Jones was the starter and Sirk was going to have to earn playing time. He was thinking about using Sirk in the Connette package and maybe as a slot-back -- in addition to as a backup QB. Of course, it was all speculation because since the end of the Indiana game, Sirk NEVER got back on the field for Duke (well, never in full pads and even light contact). Cut knew he was going to have to wait and see what he could do before using him.

But I definitely believe he did NOT discourage Sirk from returning. Sirk transferred because he wanted to be THE quarterback. That wasn't going to happen at Duke. Sorry to hear that it's not happening at ECU --at least not yet.

Note: Just one more comment about Sirk's injury issues. He suffered three major Achillies' injuries, but not one was due to contact. All occurred when he was merely running. He was hurt a couple of times on the field (he missed the Pitt game late in the 2015 season and was knocked out of the Indiana game on the next-to-last play), but he recovered from those injuries fairly quickly.
    Thanks for the info. I think I heard some of that and just forgot. I hope he gets the chance to play, he's a strong and gifted runner with good instincts.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

If anybody's interested, future Duke QB Gunner Holmberg led Heritage High in Raleigh, NC, to an important victory Friday night over a strong team from Middle Creek.

I didn't get all the stats, but Holmberg threw for three touchdowns and ran for a fourth in Heritage's 47-27 victory.

Only ONE WEEK ago go!!!!

Team Captains

Austin Davis, Bryan Fields, Daniel Jones and Mike Ramsay are the 2017 team captains:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211663480

Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe announced Saturday the naming of Austin Davis, Bryon Fields Jr., Daniel Jones and Mike Ramsay as team captains for the 2017 season. The four returning lettermen were elected by their teammates.
    Congratulations!
    Bob Green

Cut just announced the four permanent captains for this year's team (elected by their teammates). No big surprises:

Daniel Jones and Austin Davis on offense; Bryon Fields and Mike Ramsey on defense

I'm hoping it works out better for those four than last year's captains -- Sirk, Edwards and Duncan all lost to injury. Only AJ Wolf made it through the season.

My interpretation of this picture of Duke "Seniors" is Redshirt Junior Trip McNeill (#74) will not return for his fifth year of eligibility in 2018:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIRDLEAW4AA8lLy.jpg:large
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My interpretation of this picture of Duke "Seniors" is Redshirt Junior Trip McNeill (#74) will not return for his fifth year of eligibility in 2018:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIRDLEAW4AA8lLy.jpg:large
    could well be, Bob. We have had some upper class OL like McNeill who just haven't panned out despite being fairly highly touted. Fortunately, last year's class of OL seems to
    be prospering and moving up the depth chart (Kraeling, Miller, Santos, Smith)...