Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

The back story on Coach K and Duke poaching a recruit from EKU

From Kentucky.com -- http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...witter?src=rss

McHale’s coaching buddies have had some fun with the EKU head man this week.

Georgia Tech Coach Josh Pastner sent a tongue-in-cheek text telling McHale he had lost respect for the Eastern coach as a recruiter — since McHale and EKU couldn’t beat out Coach K and Duke head-to-head.

“We recruited (Goldwire) hard for months. Duke recruited him for days, hours,” McHale said. “But it was Duke. What are you going to do?”
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Think this is a great pick-up for us. It's great getting the top recruits, but there is still room on our team for a guy like this! If he's solid in m2m, maybe he can help his teammates in practice, too... We can almost always count on having a top offense, but our defense can sometimes use a little love, as well.

I'm excited about him, even if he'll just be a (mainly) practice player. Welcome to Duke!
    I like the fact that we recruited a guy who will stay for 4 years, and agree with you that there is always room for someone like him. . I know nothing about him so I cannot comment about his ability ; I will leave that to others more knowledgable than I am .

I am not quite sure though why you would be," excited ", about a recruit that might just be a practice player?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDave View Post

I am not quite sure though why you would be," excited ", about a recruit that might just be a practice player?
    Because we are adults who eagerly and proudly support ALL Duke athletes, whether they are All Americans or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Because we are adults who eagerly and proudly support ALL Duke athletes, whether they are All Americans or not!
    I'm excited for him because he has the opportunity to get a Duke education and hopefully win a ring or three. While he might not be a starter as a frosh, I'm certainly not gonna label him in another way as some have here, kinda demeaning to the kid, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I'm excited for him because he has the opportunity to get a Duke education and hopefully win a ring or three. While he might not be a starter as a frosh, I'm certainly not gonna label him in another way as some have here, kinda demeaning to the kid, IMO.
    Good post. One thing that I've learned from being on DBR over the years do not demean one of our own. It's not fair to the kid, his parents and our coaching staff. Most of the time it's not what you say, but how you say it. My rule is, what if the kid, parents or Coach K read what I posted about one of our players. Would I want to hit the "do over button"? GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Good post. One thing that I've learned from being on DBR over the years do not demean one of our own. It's not fair to the kid, his parents and our coaching staff. Most of the time it's not what you say, but how you say it. My rule is, what if the kid, parents or Coach K read what I posted about one of our players. Would I want to hit the "do over button"? GoDuke!
    Agreed. I'm trying not to read too much into the mix tape but so far I really like what I see. He appears to have a great feel for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    This had nothing to do with supporting Duke Athletes. Of course we all do and I even pointed out that I was really happy that we recruited someone who will be here for 4 years ,( hopefully he doesn't transfer because of a lack of playing time ) .I love 4 year players no matter who they are and hold them in high esteem even more so than the OADs. I have been following basketball when you had to play on the freshman team first no matter how good you were and everyone stayed for 4 years .

I was at a summer camp with Artie Heyman and Jeff Mullins and my good friend at college was best friends with Heyman when they both were students at Oceanside High School.

It was probably a semantic reaction on my part to the word ," excited " , nothing more .

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDave View Post
    This had nothing to do with supporting Duke Athletes. Of course we all do and I even pointed out that I was really happy that we recruited someone who will be here for 4 years ,( hopefully he doesn't transfer because of a lack of playing time ) .I love 4 year players no matter who they are and hold them in high esteem even more so than the OADs. I have been following basketball when you had to play on the freshman team first no matter how good you were and everyone stayed for 4 years .

I was at a summer camp with Artie Heyman and Jeff Mullins and my good friend at college was best friends with Heyman when they both were students at Oceanside High School.

It was probably a semantic reaction on my part to the word ," excited " , nothing more .
    Personally, after this year's carnage, I have stopped trying to guess who will wear a Duke uniform for 4 years. Seems like an exercise in frustration. Therefore, "likelihood to be at Duke for four years" won't play into my personal support of any particular player. Similarly, I don't intend to write off any players predicted to be gone after one season.

Seriously, this season and off-season has made me re-examine how I set personal expectations for our team and players. I am arriving at a much more Zen-like space of "let's enjoy the journey" in my perspective. Expectations leads to attachment and disappointment. Read your eastern texts.

(Partly joking, but not completely)

An interview with Jordan Goldwire for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Great piece. Solid kid.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Enjoyed the interview. Thanks for sharing. Count me a Jordan(Goldwire and Tucker)fan.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K