Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duval / Irving / Hurley

Can't remember where I saw it, but Trevon Duval was quoted saying something to the effect of "Coach K told me I'd be running the show." Reminds me of how he handed the team over to Hurley on the first day of practice and from what I understand, something similar with Kyrie. Do you think Duval is supposed to be as special of a player as those guys?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
    Can't remember where I saw it, but Trevon Duval was quoted saying something to the effect of "Coach K told me I'd be running the show." Reminds me of how he handed the team over to Hurley on the first day of practice and from what I understand, something similar with Kyrie. Do you think Duval is supposed to be as special of a player as those guys?
    While at Duke? No chance.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

There may never be another Hurley at Duke or anywhere else. Kids just don't stay 4 years anymore. Will Coach K hand him the keys? Absolutely, if he thinks Duval is the right person to drive the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    There may never be another Hurley at Duke or anywhere else. Kids just don't stay 4 years anymore. Will Coach K hand him the keys? Absolutely, if he thinks Duval is the right person to drive the ship.
    I will, of course, defer to Bob Green on this, but I don't believe that you Drive a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I will, of course, defer to Bob Green on this, but I don't believe that you Drive a ship.
    "Hooper drives the boat, Chief."
    Quint, from Jaws...

You conn a ship. The conning officer, who is underneath the officer of the deck, is responsible for maneuvering the ship by issuing orders to the helmsman.
    Bob Green

If the ceiling is the roof, then you can definitely drive the ship.

Believe you can drive a ship to water, but you still need a lot of cinderblocks on dry land to get through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    You conn a ship. The conning officer, who is underneath the officer of the deck, is responsible for maneuvering the ship by issuing orders to the helmsman.
    If SWOs don't "drive ships", how are you "ship drivers"?

For our non-Navy brethren, SWO stands for Surface Warfare Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    Believe you can drive a ship to water, but you still need a lot of cinderblocks on dry land to get through the winter.
    I once drove my chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry.

Comparisons like this one are good fun.

As amazing as Irving is today, and was in his short Duke tenure, there's no real basis to compare him to Hurley.

I've not seen Duval play, so I can't really opine on him.

Jason Williams, maybe Duhon, Dawkins, or Amaker would make for a more nuanced discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Comparisons like this one are good fun.

As amazing as Irving is today, and was in his short Duke tenure, there's no real basis to compare him to Hurley.

I've not seen Duval play, so I can't really opine on him.

Jason Williams, maybe Duhon, Dawkins, or Amaker would make for a more nuanced discussion.
    I'm only 27, so I was alive for the first 2 championship teams, but certainly don't remember any of it. That being said, Kyrie, even in the small number of games he played, was the best college player I've ever seen. As much as I love Jason Williams (my favorite Duke player) and as good as he was, I remember even his junior year how prone he was to making mistakes. Irving didn't. I was fortunate enough to be at Duke while he was there. Watching him in person, you see things about his game that you don't get on TV. I remember seeing him trapped along the sideline by 2 defenders. Any other player in the world has to pick up their dribble in that moment - they get fouled, turn the ball over, or call a timeout. He disappeared behind the defenders for about 2 seconds, then boom, he popped out in between them, keeping his dribble alive the whole time. Something a lot of people wouldn't notice, and it certainly wouldn't make SC top 10, but it was one of the most impressive plays I've ever seen. Still, I think the most impressive thing about Kyrie is that in the Blue and White game that year, Josh Hairston was the leading scorer. Yes, Josh Hairston. Guess who was the PG on his squad?

So like a harbor pilot for commercial vessels?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    While at Duke? No chance.
    Kyrie Irving played something like 7 or 8 games total at Duke. I would think Duvall, being the Number 1 ranked PG in his class, would very easily be able to surpass Kyrie's accomplishments. He won't stick around long enough to even approach Hurley land.

So the helmsman drives the boat! Thanks Mr Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Kyrie Irving played something like 7 or 8 games total at Duke. I would think Duvall, being the Number 1 ranked PG in his class, would very easily be able to surpass Kyrie's accomplishments. He won't stick around long enough to even approach Hurley land.
    You are one of my favorite posters here, Mr. Newton, but this one isn't your best work.

First, Kyrie played 11 games at Duke.

Second, I was responding to the original poster's question, which was whether Duval was supposed to be as special of a player as Kyrie or Hurley, not whether Duval would surpass their college career stat totals. As for your point, I agree with you, health permitting, but you sure aren't going out on much of limb there.

Third, having said that, Duval will not come close to matching Kyrie's career game averages - 17.5 PPG on 53% shooting, 46% from 3, 90% FTs, 1.5 steals, 4.3 assists, 3.4 rebs.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    You are one of my favorite posters here, Mr. Newton, but this one isn't your best work.

First, Kyrie played 11 games at Duke.

Second, I was responding to the original poster's question, which was whether Duval was supposed to be as special of a player as Kyrie or Hurley, not whether Duval would surpass their college career stat totals. As for your point, I agree with you, health permitting, but you sure aren't going out on much of limb there.

Third, having said that, Duval will not come close to matching Kyrie's career game averages - 17.5 PPG on 53% shooting, 46% from 3, 90% FTs, 1.5 steals, 4.3 assists, 3.4 rebs.
    First, I wasn't dogging Kyrie or you. I just think what Kyrie did in a Duke uniform often gets overstated here. He was going to be a great college player but the untimely injury derailed that. He never even played a single conference game. Yes his numbers are great but again, 11 games. 8 Regular Season games and the 3 in the tourney.

Second, I don't think the OP should have put Kyrie in the subject. If I were going to pick two "Special PG's at Duke, it would be Hurley and either Johnny Dawkins or Jason Williams. I love Kyrie but if we are being honest, he didn't have a Duke career.

Third, lighten up already. It isn't something to get all worked up over... peace my brother

Personal opinion. the best freshmen point guards in Duke history (based entirely on freshman performance):

1. Tyus Jones, 2015
    2. Jason Williams, 2000
    3. Bobby Hurley 1990
    4. Johnny Dawkins, 1983
    5. Tommy Amaker, 1984
    6. Jeff Capel, 1994
    7. Chris Duhon, 2001
    8. Greg Paulus, 2006

Note: Kyrie Irving was on pace to be No. 1, but I agree that 11 games (eight as a starter, three as a sub) aren't quite enough. Duhon was tough to slot because he only started 10 games, but he was a top sub for the other 28. I once asked Jeff Capel who was the point guard in 1994 -- him or Collins? He answered with one word: Grant! Grant did lead that team in assists, but Capel led the guards in assists by a wide margin and usually guarded the opposing point guard.

From my limited exposure to Mr. Duval, I would guess that if he comes and has a healthy year, he'll slot in that list just before or behind Tommy Amaker. Both great distributors with a lot of defensive potential, but neither is much of a shooter (Amaker didn't hit double figures until his senior year).

I'd take Tommy Amaker II ...

I'm pretty sure UNCheat has several "conning officers." They just conned their way to a natty.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    I'm pretty sure UNCheat has several "conning officers." They just conned their way to a natty.
    And they must have had a helmsman to win the Helms championship in 1924.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quahog174 View Post
    And they must have had a helmsman to win the Helms championship in 1924.
    IMG_0256.JPG