Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

ESPN to drop 100 on air personalities

More than twice what was first reported. I wonder if any of "our" guys will get the pink slip.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/e...123057142.html

Dana O'Neil is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    More than twice what was first reported. I wonder if any of "our" guys will get the pink slip.

I would be stunned if the two Jays did not stay - Seth Greenberg maybe not so much

Running list of announced layoffs with this link

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-o...ffs-1794664091

You reap what you sow.

ESPN not mentioned on page linked.

Here's a list of confirmed lay-offs thus far:

Ed Werder
    John Buccigross
    Dana O'Neil
    Pierre LeBrun
    Scott Burnside
    Joe McDonald
    Austin Ward
    Brendan Fitzgerald
    Paul Kuharsky

These people will stay on, but have their roles "significantly reduced":

Karl Ravitch
    Ryen Russillo
    Hannah Storm

I have a list if ESPN would like to cheat off me. Seth is definitely near the top. Stephen A Smith would be up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Here's a list of confirmed lay-offs thus far:

Ed Werder
    John Buccigross
    Dana O'Neil
    Pierre LeBrun
    Scott Burnside
    Joe McDonald
    Austin Ward
    Brendan Fitzgerald
    Paul Kuharsky

These people will stay on, but have their roles "significantly reduced":

Karl Ravitch
    Ryen Russillo
    Hannah Storm
    Werder and Buccigross really surprise me.

I listen to A LOT of ESPN radio. I really like Le Batard, though I understand why many don't. I don't get Russillo at all. He's so self-involved. I usually turn it off. I did have the misfortune of listening one day where he said, "the very first time I saw Grayson Allen in high school, I wanted to punch him in the face." That's just a strange thing for a grown man to say about a teenager. Why would you want to punch someone without knowing anything about them? Let's just say, I'm not terribly sorry that his role is reducing. Hopefully Bomani takes his time slot.

I would guess that Mike Golic's role will be reduced as well. It's already been confirmed that Greeny is leaving Mike and Mike to do a morning "talk show" on ESPN. Not sure that leaves a place for Golic.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Dana O'Neil is gone!
    So excited by this.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Honestly didn't realize there were that many on air personalities at ESPN.hate for anyone to lose their job. Except for the lady who said someone needed to knock Grayson Allen out.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Honestly didn't realize there were that many on air personalities at ESPN.hate for anyone to lose their job. Except for the lady who said someone needed to knock Grayson Allen out.
    Or the lady who started the hate for Grayson Allen.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    I have a list if ESPN would like to cheat off me. Seth is definitely near the top. Stephen A Smith would be up there as well.
    I'm available to for some suggestions...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

That would be Michelle Beadle, who is #1 on my remaining wishlist. Uncle Fester has no idea what he's talking about most of the time, but he's harmless. Anybody who advocates for violence against college kids needs to be taken off the air.

Werder and Buccigross really surprise me.

I listen to A LOT of ESPN radio. I really like Le Batard, though I understand why many don't. I don't get Russillo at all. He's so self-involved. I usually turn it off. I did have the misfortune of listening one day where he said, "the very first time I saw Grayson Allen in high school, I wanted to punch him in the face." That's just a strange thing for a grown man to say about a teenager. Why would you want to punch someone without knowing anything about them? Let's just say, I'm not terribly sorry that his role is reducing. Hopefully Bomani takes his time slot.

I would guess that Mike Golic's role will be reduced as well. It's already been confirmed that Greeny is leaving Mike and Mike to do a morning "talk show" on ESPN. Not sure that leaves a place for Golic.
    I think you misheard, he was always like, yeah Grayson is annoying, but you want him suspended for 5 games for that? Get out of here. Russillo is BY FAR the best guy on the radio. He doesn't do hot takes, he's not stupid, he's really plugged into the NBA. I think his snark is funny, but I'm definitely in his target demographic. Kannell, on the other hand, is horrible.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

That "journalist" was promoted to anchor NBA Countdown after her comments about Grayson Allen - Michelle Beadle is not going away

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...spn/100063726/

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think you misheard, he was always like, yeah Grayson is annoying, but you want him suspended for 5 games for that? Get out of here. Russillo is BY FAR the best guy on the radio. He doesn't do hot takes, he's not stupid, he's really plugged into the NBA. I think his snark is funny, but I'm definitely in his target demographic. Kannell, on the other hand, is horrible.
    100% agreed. Love Russillo, but Kanell drives me nuts, and killed that radio show for me. I miss SVP & Russillo. That was the best daily sports podcast . . .

Occasionally, Russillo does solo NBA podcasts, which are actually quite good. Hopefully, Kannell gets the axe . . .

I'm positive that I didn't mishear him. I remember thinking how strange it was for a grown man to admit that he wanted to punch a teenager. Maybe it's the mix of Kannell and Russillo, but I really dislike that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    That "journalist" was promoted to anchor NBA Countdown after her comments about Grayson Allen - Michelle Beadle is not going away

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...spn/100063726/
    Wow . . . Sage Steele out and Beadle gets to stay? What kind of f'ed up logic is that? Must have been money related . . .

I also like Russillo. He has cultivated kind of a cocky d-head persona, which I think is close to his actual personality BUT I think he really knows his stuff and is usually very fair. I think he could see the writing on the wall because he gave an extremely honest and ESPN-critical podcast interview to SI media critic Richard Deitsch a few months ago...well worth checking out:

https://player.fm/series/si-media-po...-ryen-russillo

I know I should already know this, and I'm sure it's been discussed on DBR before, but this is basically the result of cord-cutters, right?

If a bunch of personalities I don't like end up getting chopped, I might have to look into this cord-cutting myself. Do my part and pitch in, you know?