Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Way-Too-Early Duke Rotation Discussion for 2017/18

Here's how I see things shaking for this upcoming season assuming Duke lands Duval:

PG: Trevon Duval (30 mins)/Frank Jackson (10 mins)
    SG: Frank Jackson (20 mins)/Grayson Allen (20 mins)
    SF: Grayson Allen (10 mins)/Gary Trent (20 mins)/Jack White (10 mins)
    PF: Wendell Carter (25-30 mins)/Javin DeLaurier (10-15 mins)
    C: Marques Bolden (25-30 mins)/Antonio Vrankovic (10-15 mins)

Getting Kevin Knox would remove Jack White and Javin DeLaurier entirely from the rotation since he would play at least 20-25 minutes I would imagine interchanging at the 3 or 4 spot.

Getting Mohammed Bamba would remove Antonio Vrankovic entirely from the rotation and shave 10 minutes away from Bolden's playing time.

I'm no Coach K but how does this look to the DBR faithful?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Here's how I see things shaking for this upcoming season assuming Duke lands Duval:

Getting Kevin Knox would remove Jack White and Javin DeLaurier entirely from the rotation since he would play at least 20-25 minutes I would imagine interchanging at the 3 or 4 spot.

Getting Mohammed Bamba would remove Antonio Vrankovic entirely from the rotation and shave 10 minutes away from Bolden's playing time.

Ain't no way a healthy Grayson Allen only plays 30 mpg.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

This just seems really premature seeing as we don't know about Duval, Knox, Bamba, or other potential recruits. Are you sooooo dying to share your opinion on this that you can't wait a few weeks until we are actually dealing with known instead of unknown factors?

Also, you have 9 guys getting 10+ minutes per game (and no one getting more than 30)... I think it has been a decade or more since that happened at Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Ain't no way a healthy Grayson Allen only plays 30 mpg.
    Agree - he will be on the court 35+ minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This just seems really premature seeing as we don't know about Duval, Knox, Bamba, or other potential recruits. Are you sooooo dying to share your opinion on this that you can't wait a few weeks until we are actually dealing with known instead of unknown factors?
    Would you rather have minute discussions hijack other threads? Although premature, I think this is smart to have a dedicated thread.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Would you rather have minute discussions hijack other threads? Although premature, I think this is smart to have a dedicated threat.
    Well, it's always a dedicated threat.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, it's always a dedicated threat.
    Damn! Didn't change it in time for someone to respond!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Also, you have 9 guys getting 10+ minutes per game... I think it has been a decade or more since that happened at Duke.
    Would you rather have minute discussions hijack other threads? Although premature, I think this is smart to have a dedicated thread.
    Perhaps, but I'd suggest we have a different thread once we know the roster. Not that one brand of speculation is better than the other, but it's hard to really discuss the matter with three "if we gets" in play. And once we know what the roster is, we can drop however much accumulated early speculation that this thread draws.

But that's just one man's opinion.

(I fall in the "this is premature" camp, but it's not for me to tell people what they should or should not discuss here).

I'd rather talk about it with at least some sense of certainty. But, I get that others are all eager to guess without knowing all the facts. Whatever...

Anyone want to chat about who turns pro next season or the seedings for the 2018 NCAA tourney? I think Duke gets the South region in 2018, though I know some of you expect we will be in the East.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yeah, but, Daymon and Shavlik look really good in pickups...
    Last edited by TKG; 04-19-2017 at 11:29 AM.

I'm with Jason on this. Too many unknowns at this point to have a rational discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm with Jason on this. Too many unknowns at this point to have a rational discussion.
    Yea I agree. As eager as I am to discuss next year's rotation and roster, I'm also a firm believer in jinxes and superstitions (because surely, little old me affects the decisions and outcomes of college players and games). And I just know the moment I start talking about how many minutes Duval is going to be playing next year, is the moment he decides to play those minutes elsewhere. And I really don't want that.

Hey

I'd rather talk about it with at least some sense of certainty. But, I get that others are all eager to guess without knowing all the facts. Whatever...
    It's not like anyone here gets the playing time correct, even when we know who's on the roster. Might as well guess now.

I'm just going to guess this is the year K plays 10 guys at least 15 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Yeah, but, Daymon and Shavlik look really good in pickups...
    Yeah don't sleep on that Daymon kid. He's for realz!

Not to discourage the discourse, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Yeah don't sleep on that Daymon kid. He's for realz!
    My apologies to Taymon....

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Agree. Me too. We need to wait until the roster is final imo.

My two cents

It ain't like there's anything else going on but speculation this time of year anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post

Well, one thing right off the bat -- while we're deciding whether we want to discuss this or not -- is that Wendell is very likely going to be the center when Marques is out of the game.

I can believe that Duke will start Wendell at PF, but I can't believe he won't play ANY center. Nor would I desire that since he's 6'10" 260-lbs.

As OPK noted upthread, once we have more roster certainty, the mods will close threads like this one and open one in which we can have a more definitive and knowledgeable conversation. That said, if folks want to speculate here, that is perfectly fine. I don't, however, think we need to keep going with talk about whether this thread makes sense or not. Many have voiced an opinion and I think continuing to discuss that fact is a waste of time and energy.

Just my $.02

-Jason "once we know the roster, I look forward to a robust conversation about minutes with folks who look at historical trends and other factors to come up with reasonable expectations" Evans