View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Went with Guardians, Spidey, DM3, Wonder Woman and Transformers. Fifth pick was the hardest. But I was pretty sure Fast & Furious was dead after Tokyo Drift...not so much. Could be the case with Transformers. If it does do well, will number 6 be Attack of the Emoticons?

Guardians was good -- lots of laughs -- but not as good as the original. This film sacrificed action to tell personal stories in a way you rarely see from a comic book film. The result is something that comes closer to a family drama than a sci-fi adventure at times. Nothing wrong with that, but it was not exactly what I was expecting.

More detailed comments tomorrow...

-Jason "oh, it is still going to make huge, huge bucks at the boxoffice" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here is the full list of all the films featuring RDJr as Iron Man that have made less than $300 million: _____________________

And here is the full list of all the films featuring Spider Man that have made less than $200 million: _____________________

Here is the average domestic boxoffice for all films featuring RDJr. as Iron Man: $421.7 million

Here is the average domestic boxoffice for all films featuring Spider Man: $315.7 million

It is worth noting that the trailers look excellent so far and the fact that Spidey was so well received in Civil War probably ensures this film makes well over $100 mil its opening weekend even if the reviews are not good... and I expect the reviews to be very good (especially because critics will compare it to the very mediocre ASM 2 of a few years ago).

-Jason "two words describe this film's chances of making the top 5 of summer: Mortal Lock!"
    Well, I said the exact same thing about Jurassic World two years ago, and that...wait, never mind.

However, this time I'm going to be right. Here is a series of numbers:
    $404 - $374 - $337 - $262 - $203

I'm betting the next number will be sub $250. I get the new Spider-Man, new studio, RDJr, all of that, but don't know what is left to tell and what will draw people in. We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Well, I said the exact same thing about Jurassic World two years ago, and that...wait, never mind.

However, this time I'm going to be right. Here is a series of numbers:
    $404 - $374 - $337 - $262 - $203

I'm betting the next number will be sub $250. I get the new Spider-Man, new studio, RDJr, all of that, but don't know what is left to tell and what will draw people in. We shall see...
    But I think it's an MCU movie first, and a Spider-man movie second. The MCU movie numbers I think are the more relevant ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    But I think it's an MCU movie first, and a Spider-man movie second. The MCU movie numbers I think are the more relevant ones.
    I've been going door to door and making phone calls trying to get people to see Alien Covenant, one of my 5 pics. One can dream...

I have no skin in this game and wouldn't vote/have voted for it anyway, but that Dark Tower trailer was awesome (no, I haven't read the books, so others may have a very different opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    I have no skin in this game and wouldn't vote/have voted for it anyway, but that Dark Tower trailer was awesome (no, I haven't read the books, so others may have a very different opinion).
    Idris Elba and Matt Mc - two of the coolest dudes in the universe.

I have not yet watched the Dark Tower trailer, but this sums up my fears about the movie: https://www.wired.com/2017/05/dark-tower-trailer/

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I have not yet watched the Dark Tower trailer, but this sums up my fears about the movie: https://www.wired.com/2017/05/dark-tower-trailer/
    I'm a huge King fan but never read the Dark Tower series. Hopefully the movie is good. I know it's fall but can't wait for the It remake.

The new Dunkirk trailer just dropped. It seems to tell a bit more of the story of the film with some Tom Hardy as well as the local fishermen who tried to save the trapped British troops. I'm starting to regret not voting for this flick.

Here is the new trailer and then a reminder of the old trailer that dropped a few months ago.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Don't worry about Dunkirk. I saw the trailer. It's good. But I'm telling you, people aren't much in the mood to watch a WWII movie. It's not going to be in our Top 5. I would be surprised if it makes our Top 10.

The Battke of Dunkirk is really quite amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing that movie eventually (but i doubt it will be this summer).

My favorite tidbit on that battle is Churchill's statement: "we must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations."

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Don't worry about Dunkirk. I saw the trailer. It's good. But I'm telling you, people aren't much in the mood to watch a WWII movie. It's not going to be in our Top 5. I would be surprised if it makes our Top 10.
    And with this pronouncement from Udaman, I am really starting to regret leaving it off.

The new Dunkirk trailer just dropped. It seems to tell a bit more of the story of the film with some Tom Hardy as well as the local fishermen who tried to save the trapped British troops. I'm starting to regret not voting for this flick.

Here is the new trailer and then a reminder of the old trailer that dropped a few months ago.
    The trailer was amazing. I know conventional wisdom seems to be that WWII movies don't bank. But I have a counterpoint:

Saving Private Ryan.

I think there is a great comparison to be made here. Obviously both are WWII movies. But, more importantly, both are big budget WWII movies done by directors who, at the time the movies are being released, are regarded as being among the best directors out there. Very few directors can guarantee an opening weekend by their name alone. Spielberg could in 1998 (less so now). Nolan can right now. In addition, the movies have a similar feel to them: emotional, moving, battle laden, and inspiring. These are two big stories. WWII epics, really. The trailers feel big. Dunkirk looks like, as Saving Private Ryan was, an event movie.

Of course, Saving Private Ryan was focused around a seminal American battle (D-Day) while Dunkirk is focused on a battle that did not involve Americans. And Saving Private Ryan had Tom Hanks, who was a bigger star then than anyone in Dunkirk is right now. So SPR gets the nod there. However, in inflation adjusted dollars, Saving Private Ryan grossed $404 million. 60% of that get Dunkirk in our contest.

We'll see...but I'm pretty happy with my pick (less happy leaving WW off, however)

BTW...The Dark Tower trailer looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    We'll see...but I'm pretty happy with my pick (less happy leaving WW off, however)
    If Wonder Woman beats Dunkirk, we'll know that WWI movies sell better than WWII movies ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    If Wonder Woman beats Dunkirk, we'll know that WWI movies sell better than WWII movies ;-)
    You would have to wait for Wonder Woman II to state this as a certainty ...

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Just watched the trailer. Was that the For a Few Dollars More watch chimes playing toward the beginning? A bold choice. I hope the movie can live up to that level.

Aaaaaand we have our first member of the top 5.

The early projections, based upon Thursday late night and Friday daytime and advanced ticket sales, have Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 making somewhere around $145-$150 million it's opening weekend. A number like that makes this film a mortal lock to earn at least $300 million at the box office, probably much, much more. Needless to say, that's going to be enough to get into our top five.

Jason "everyone picked it so it is not like you accomplish anything with your pick. At least we know no one's going 0-for-5" Evans

Aaaaaand we have our first member of the top 5.

The early projections, based upon Thursday late night and Friday daytime and advanced ticket sales, have Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 making somewhere around $145-$150 million it's opening weekend. A number like that makes this film a mortal lock to earn at least $300 million at the box office, probably much, much more. Needless to say, that's going to be enough to get into our top five.

Jason "everyone picked it so it is not like you accomplish anything with your pick. At least we know no one's going 0-for-5" Evans
    My screen says that one person DIDN'T pick it. It got 53 votes out of 54 voters.

So somebody did miss (and could go 0-for-5)

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    My screen says that one person DIDN'T pick it. It got 53 votes out of 54 voters.

So somebody did miss (and could go 0-for-5)
    There should be a popcorn smiley...