Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cocktails

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My secretary soaks raisins in gin, and says that eating a nicely soaked raisin a day is good for arthritis. She gave me a jar but I have not tried them as I don't have arthritis.
    My shoulders and knees have been hurting recently.

Just sayin'...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    My secretary soaks raisins in gin, and says that eating a nicely soaked raisin a day is good for arthritis. She gave me a jar but I have not tried them as I don't have arthritis.
    I think they work like the acid reflux pills hawked on tv -- you're supposed to start taking them now, so the condition won't arise.

As for a cocktail: bourbon ginger. As many ice cubes as the highball glass will hold, as much bourbon as my conscience will allow, and in whatever space remains, fill with diet ginger ale. The "diet" part is key due to flavor not health -- it's not as sweet-tasting as regular ginger ale (at least in my mind) and balances better with the bourbon. Precious few bars stock diet ginger ale.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    'Shine marinated cherries are much more lethal. Read about them in the classic college football book, "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer", and thought it was an SEC rural myth. Had one at a Tennessee football game in Knoxville and nearly fell over.
    Nope, not a myth. My uncle used to make them, called them cherry bombs. My cousin owned a bar at the beach, many years ago, sold three in a shot glass for a dollar.

I once made jello shooters with hooch. Took them to a party, WARNED everyone as to what they were. A couple of guys got really, really drunk off them. I felt a little bad, but I DID warn them.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Nope, not a myth. My uncle used to make them, called them cherry bombs. My cousin owned a bar at the beach, many years ago, sold three in a shot glass for a dollar.

I once made jello shooters with hooch. Took them to a party, WARNED everyone as to what they were. A couple of guys got really, really drunk off them. I felt a little bad, but I DID warn them.
    I had a great uncle who was a revenue agent. He made his living running down stills hidden in the rural areas of North Carolina.

He explained that a lot of moonshine was purified by soaking fruit in it -- which leeched the lead out of the brew. But, he emphasized, it was vital to throw out the fruit -- it was literally poison. But after soaking a pile of cut up peaches in the moonshine, the liquor was safe to drink.

You can make fortified cherries or the like by soaking them in liquor ... but make sure the liquor is the real stuff, not home brewed.

Most of the year, I'm a Manhattan woman, usually with Redemption rye and orange bitters.

In the summer, I put ginger liqueur (Domaine due Canton) in almost everything, thanks to the corrupting influence of the erstwhile Nana's bartenders. Awesome mixed half and half with Hendrick's, or added to a G and T, or on its own with seltzer water and juice from half of a lime. It makes the Durham heat bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    Most of the year, I'm a Manhattan woman, usually with Redemption rye and orange bitters.

In the summer, I put ginger liqueur (Domaine due Canton) in almost everything, thanks to the corrupting influence of the erstwhile Nana's bartenders. Awesome mixed half and half with Hendrick's, or added to a G and T, or on its own with seltzer water and juice from half of a lime. It makes the Durham heat bearable.
    That sounds awesome. a place around the corner from me makes a "bianco negroni" with Dorothy Parker Gin, Lillet, Ginger Liqueur and Cointreau. I've tried to approximate it with gin, cointreau and ginger simple syrup.

Has anyone here made pineapple-infused vodka? I've had some that has been amazing, and want to try making it myself. It seems simple enough but was wondering if anyone has advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    That sounds awesome. a place around the corner from me makes a "bianco negroni" with Dorothy Parker Gin, Lillet, Ginger Liqueur and Cointreau. I've tried to approximate it with gin, cointreau and ginger simple syrup.
    That sounds great, too. Now I have something new to play with... I can't believe I've never heard of Dorothy Parker Gin, feel like I should probably be drinking it exclusively.

3 faves

Since this was billed as an "offseason" discussion, I'll try to tie it back a little bit to basketball by presenting the three cocktails that comprise probably 80% of my cocktail consumption in the form of a cheer:

Rye Manhattan CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
    Gin and Tonic CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
    Dark and Stormy CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

Bulleit rye is the usual go-to for my Manhattans at home. If bourbon, I find Redemption high rye and Elijah Craig 12 year make a good cocktail.

In G&T world, Tanqueray is the daily choice, but Hendrick's is nice, too. Q tonic water if on hand, or diet tonic for the normal brands. Extra lime.

Hard to argue with the traditional Gosling's ingredients in a Dark & Stormy. I usually end up using Barritt's ginger beer, however (preferably diet so as not to compound the sugar intake), because it just feels like brand arrogance that Gosling's marks theirs up by 50%. But Black Seal rum is the only Dark & Stormy rum, as far as I'm concerned. Have tried other dark rums but they all have too much vanilla or clove or other predominant flavors. The exotic funkiness of Black Seal, lightened by the ginger and lime, is perfection.

A former fave of mine is Mount Gay and tonic, and I'll enjoy a Negroni or Paloma on occasion. Old Fashioneds are also OK, along with Mint Juleps and Kentucky Mules.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    In G&T world, Tanqueray is the daily choice, but Hendrick's is nice, too. Q tonic water if on hand, or diet tonic for the normal brands. Extra lime.
    If you're ever in NYC, give Brooklyn Gin a go. Hands-down the best gin I've ever had, and it's turned many a non-gin drinker in my family over to sipping G&T's on the back porch with regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Q tonic water if on hand, or diet tonic for the normal brands. Extra lime.
    As long as we're adding G&T recommendations -- have you tried Fever Tree? I prefer it to Q.

As long as we're adding G&T recommendations -- have you tried Fever Tree? I prefer it to Q.
    Nolet's Silver gin, Fever Tree tonic, enough ice for respectability. Lime not necessary but acceptable.

I'm a Washington Apple man myself. Crown Royal, dekuyper sour apple, cranberry juice. Shaken and poured over iced with a splash of sprite. The green and red combine to make a very apple cider color.

I also had a tropical mojito at Victoria & Albert's in the Grand Floridian at Disney World that was amazing. Well, I had a few.

The Copper Fox Distillery in Washington, VA sells 1776 whiskey, made from Martha Washington's recipe they bought at an estate sale. It's pretty darn good.

I recently had a Tennessee Summer at Firebird's that was really good. It had Jack, something peachy, something gingery, pomegranite and some soda. Recipe is on their website.

I LOVE blackberries, so I'll often try blackberry drinks but have yet to find one I love.

My wife like's the vodka fruity martinis. Pink ones.

Hey, all you alcohol enthusiasts! What the best, not the sweetest though, ginger beer for Moscow Mules???

What's a good recommendation?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hey, all you alcohol enthusiasts! What the best, not the sweetest though, ginger beer for Moscow Mules???

Fever Tree. Their tonic is great too.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

I've always gone with Reed's for both the Dark N' Stormy and any variety of Mule.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nolet's Silver gin, Fever Tree tonic, enough ice for respectability. Lime not necessary but acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Fever Tree. Their tonic is great too.
    Count me as an anti-Fever Tree vote. I recently ended up with some (shopping in a healthier grocery and that was the only option). It got in the way of the gin. And not in a good way. Wanted to see if anyone else had the same reaction and found this taste test: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/0...-seagrams.html

I'm no expert; probably swayed by traditional taste. But I actually went into the experience hopeful, and was surprised at how negative I felt about it.

Rye

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    Caipirinhas were a regular part of our Olympics viewing this past summer.

My go-to cocktail is the Manhattan. At home I usually make them with either Maker's Mark or Bulleit.
    Is that Bulleit Rye or Bourbon. Rye is the original recipe and makes a superior Manhattan

Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    You can never go wrong with a margarita, on the rocks, with salt. But I do like the occasional amaretto sour.
    Need to use original recipe which is pretty expensive way to go ...fresh squeezed lime juice, Cointreau, decent tequila, the mixes are way too sweet

Ginger beer

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I think they work like the acid reflux pills hawked on tv -- you're supposed to start taking them now, so the condition won't arise.

As for a cocktail: bourbon ginger. As many ice cubes as the highball glass will hold, as much bourbon as my conscience will allow, and in whatever space remains, fill with diet ginger ale. The "diet" part is key due to flavor not health -- it's not as sweet-tasting as regular ginger ale (at least in my mind) and balances better with the bourbon. Precious few bars stock diet ginger ale.
    You can try the high end ginger ale or "ginger beer" usually not as sweet and much sharper ginger flavor