DBR's Asheville Posse...

I have a good friend looking for a long weekend your way (also thinking retirement in a few years), and looking for recs...

In no particular order, she seeks (mostly in her words): good hiking areas with our dog, good restaurants (doesn't need to be fancy, just great food [her hubby likes craft beer, too -jk]), best BBQ in town [I certainly won't pick sides for 'em], good live music bar, and any cool flea/antique markets. She seems willing to roam around, if that helps.

She's also into scuba, but not zip-lines (she has a height thing, though I keep hearing the Green River one is great)...

Can any of you help her out (and me - as I said, she's a good friend)?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I have a good friend looking for a long weekend your way (also thinking retirement in a few years), and looking for recs...

In no particular order, she seeks (mostly in her words): good hiking areas with our dog, good restaurants (doesn't need to be fancy, just great food [her hubby likes craft beer, too -jk]), best BBQ in town [I certainly won't pick sides for 'em], good live music bar, and any cool flea/antique markets. She seems willing to roam around, if that helps.

She's also into scuba, but not zip-lines (she has a height thing, though I keep hearing the Green River one is great)...

Can any of you help her out (and me - as I said, she's a good friend)?

-jk
    Hmmm, I'd bet this thread fills up quickly.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I recently spent an afternoon/evening exploring the South Slope and enjoyed the heck out of starting the day with a couple pints at Burial Beer and then walking around the corner to Buxton Hall BBQ. Not sure if that's the best bbq by any means but Burial + Buxton was a nice start.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I recently spent an afternoon/evening exploring the South Slope and enjoyed the heck out of starting the day with a couple pints at Burial Beer and then walking around the corner to Buxton Hall BBQ. Not sure if that's the best bbq by any means but Burial + Buxton was a nice start.
    Mrs. dd and I did something similar last Memorial Day, starting with a very good platter at Buxton Hall with ricks68 and mattman and followed it with a pint at the new (at the time) Green Mansion.

I will be able to chime in with a bunch of choices for you after this weekend. As I read your requests it kinda struck me that there appear to be multiple great choices for your friend in every single category you mentioned. (I guess that's why AVL is already packed with visitors well before the official season has begun.)

ricks

One caveat, however, we don't count Scuba as a part of the recreational scene here. (At least not until the water level rises in the decades to come.)

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I will be able to chime in with a bunch of choices for you after this weekend. As I read your requests it kinda struck me that there appear to be multiple great choices for your friend in every single category you mentioned. (I guess that's why AVL is already packed with visitors well before the official season has begun.)

ricks
    As a small business owner, the "quiet season" used to stretch from November through April. Now, it is more like mid-January through late-February. People come for holidays, long weekends, and spring break, making our busy season much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As a small business owner, the "quiet season" used to stretch from November through April. Now, it is more like mid-January through late-February. People come for holidays, long weekends, and spring break, making our busy season much longer.
    I would think that you would have lots and lots of info on the best hiking areas, right?

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post

ricks
    Looking forward to it!

thanks,

-jk

Since I like food, I'll list some of my favorite places to eat - palates differ, of course, so YMMV.

In no particular order:

Breakfast/Brunch:

Lunch/Dinner:

Nicer Dinner

And now I've got to go find a snack. Lunch is a looong time away!

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Since I like food, I'll list some of my favorite places to eat - palates differ, of course, so YMMV.

In no particular order:

Breakfast/Brunch:

Lunch/Dinner:

Nicer Dinner

WTH? No adult beverage suggestions?

Little bit outside of town is Bent Creek area with lots of trails for hiking and dog-friendly. It's about 10-15 minutes from downtown depending on traffic.

The Antique Tobacco barn near Biltmore is huuuuuuuge for antiuqes/old stuff. I think some of it's overpriced, but there's a lot to look at in there. The Corner Kitchen is also a very good choice for food in Biltmore Village.

All of the previous comments are spot-on.

I'll put in a plug for White Duck Taco (mentioned above) and Vortex Doughnuts (with good coffee, too, and in walking distance of Burial and a number of other breweries).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I'll put in a plug for White Duck Taco (mentioned above) and Vortex Doughnuts (with good coffee, too, and in walking distance of Burial and a number of other breweries).
    The donut hole from a Vortex donut is served in your Skillet Donut Stout at Burial. (Much more later when I can, as promised.)

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post

In no particular order:

Breakfast/Brunch:

Lunch/Dinner:

Nicer Dinner

Wow! Thanks!

And thanks to everyone for keeping on with the suggestions...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Wow! Thanks!

And thanks to everyone for keeping on with the suggestions...

-jk
    Brevard is a nice little town just outside of Asheville. It's right next door to Pisgah National Forest which has a ton of hiking trails. Several bed/breakfast locations in Brevard as well as a small motel. It's also 20 ish minutes from the Asheville airport via a pretty straight shot. Several local restaurants with very few chains. I liked the Irish Pub in town, but couldn't recall the name if I tried. The summer music theatre in Brevard is actually well known nationally. Just a neat little town.

Hendersonville is another similar town in the area. I know less about it, however.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Brevard is a nice little town just outside of Asheville. It's right next door to Pisgah National Forest which has a ton of hiking trails. Several bed/breakfast locations in Brevard as well as a small motel. It's also 20 ish minutes from the Asheville airport via a pretty straight shot. Several local restaurants with very few chains. I liked the Irish Pub in town, but couldn't recall the name if I tried. The summer music theatre in Brevard is actually well known nationally. Just a neat little town.

Hendersonville is another similar town in the area. I know less about it, however.
    Also the home of Oskar Blues east coast brewery, IIRC.

As far as music, is the goal a bar with some live music or a small local music venue? Checking the calendars at Orange Peels, Asheville Music Hall, and One Stop (technically the basement of Asheville Music Hall) for the time they'll be in town is a good start.

If the former, walk down some street's downtown and you will hear live music coming from somewhere!