Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yesterday I began sniffing around air fares for my annual trips to Derm for Duke football, and noted that (as was reported some time ago) United
    now warns me that if I want the lowest economy fare, I can't have a seat assignment, can't necessarily sit with co-travelers, can't bring a full sized
    carry on onboard (there's a fee! of course!)*

This is the new Basic Economy as opposed to the old bottom of the barrel, steerage-esque Economy. Fun!

*even the size of what you can put under the seat in front of you is restricted now to 9x10x17 inches...for sure my weekend travel bag has
    always fit nicely there, but it's bigger than 9x10...will they enforce this? Even more fun!
    Predictably this plague has spread to other carriers. Was kinda surprised at how cheap flights were to NC for annual CIS pilgrimage. Didn't realize until booking that American now has the same policy (no overhead carry ons, no pre-board seat assignments). Extra $50 to upgrade to mere crappy service.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Predictably this plague has spread to other carriers. Was kinda surprised at how cheap flights were to NC for annual CIS pilgrimage. Didn't realize until booking that American now has the same policy (no overhead carry ons, no pre-board seat assignments). Extra $50 to upgrade to mere crappy service.
    What's their policy on cargo pants?

A possibility

Wow -- the latest earnings call was shockingly bad. Check out the Q&A excerpts in here

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    What's their policy on cargo pants?

A possibility
    Ha, just had a cargo pants discussion with my pal as we entered WW for the Pitt (ack) game...he was fumbling items left and right while I, with my stylish cargo pants, defied
    scrutiny and carted luxurious amounts of necessary items to my seat.

... with my stylish cargo pants ...
    I guess you believe UNC is a real school, too?
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 10-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.

... my stylish cargo pants, ...

Another phrase never uttered before appearing on these boards ...

Wildfires as art? Maybe.

Cargo pants stylish? ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Another phrase never uttered before appearing on these boards ...

Wildfires as art? Maybe.

Cargo pants stylish? ...
    Not as stylish as beaded sweater vests and tassled loafers, but pretty darned stylish nonetheless! Maybe it's the legs which create the look...

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    My employer has basically banned us from travel using the cheapest ticket. The chance of getting bumped is too high and traveller protections too low. It's a sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    My employer has basically banned us from travel using the cheapest ticket. The chance of getting bumped is too high and traveller protections too low. It's a sign of the times.
    Yes, I can only assume that if a flight is overbooked (not unusual) and you don't have a seat assignment, you'll be screwed. So you're paying hundreds of dollars for "something like a reservation, kinda."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The website we use to book travel for work also doesn't offer the new basic class. I knew about the seat booking and baggage issues, but not about bumping and travel protections. Thanks for mentioning that.

Traveling the past couple days, a lot of people booked in that class didn't realize what they got into. The whole boarding process now is a hunger wars sort of game to fight over the overhead bin space for the infernal roll-aboard suitcases.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    The whole boarding process now is a hunger wars sort of game to fight over the overhead bin space for the infernal roll-aboard suitcases.
    Well, with most airlines charging for checked luggage and there being about a 50-50 chance the airline will lose/damage/steal anything you do check, can you blame passengers for choosing to carry on any bag they can?

-Jason "" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

there always seems to be at least one person on each flight who holds up boarding for five minutes while trying to stuff a large bag into an insufficiently sized overhead bin. They'll move it around
    in six different directions, grunt numerous times, poke and shove, but the adage that a four pound turd can't be held in a three pound bag seems to hold true.

there always seems to be at least one person on each flight who holds up boarding for five minutes while trying to stuff a large bag into an insufficiently sized overhead bin. They'll move it around
    in six different directions, grunt numerous times, poke and shove, but the adage that a four pound turd can't be held in a three pound bag seems to hold true.
    I thought the discussion about c*rolina basketball was limited to the one thread (that I will not visit) on the EK Forum.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, with most airlines charging for checked luggage and there being about a 50-50 chance the airline will lose/damage/steal anything you do check, can you blame passengers for choosing to carry on any bag they can?

-Jason "" Evans
    On this past weekend's flight from Prez Reagan airport to Burlington, VT, the woman seated next to me, and one other, managed to have their gate checked bags disappear. They saw
    the man at the gate take their bags to the plane in DC, but upon landing in VT the bags were nowhere to be seen...poof!

On this past weekend's flight from Prez Reagan airport to Burlington, VT, the woman seated next to me, and one other, managed to have their gate checked bags disappear. They saw
    the man at the gate take their bags to the plane in DC, but upon landing in VT the bags were nowhere to be seen...poof!
    That right there takes a special kind of effort.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Love the tiny Burlington airport. As I recall, they have gates A and B. Quite charming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Love the tiny Burlington airport. As I recall, they have gates A and B. Quite charming.
    Small airports are awesome. I got a big hoot out of the Yakima, WA airport 20 years ago. One gal was working the checkin-couter ticketing passengers and bags. Loaded up a cart behind the counter. After she got done there, she drove the baggage cart outside to the plane. Slipped over to the gate and did the boarding routine. Once that was done, I saw her go back to the baggage cart and load all the bags onto the airplane. I can't be certain, but I think she then got into a deicing truck and sprayed down the plane.

I know she didn't work security, there were two guys drinking coffe in the "food court" that did that. She also didn't climb into the tower and act as airtraffic control (at least I don't think she did). She was the single hardest working person at that airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ah, I guess it's been quite a long time since you've been there. It's still incredibly convenient (park right across the street), but it has two large wings now with
    a total of roughly 16 or so gates...plus it shares runways with the VT Air National Guard and other military stuff, so of the two runways, one is over 8000 feet long
    and can accommodate your personal 747 should you have one...

Almost all major carriers are there: American, United, Jet BLue, Delta, (US Air and Continental were both there until eaten by AA and United respectively)..we're only lacking Southwest...

Yes, I can only assume that if a flight is overbooked (not unusual) and you don't have a seat assignment, you'll be screwed. So you're paying hundreds of dollars for "something like a reservation, kinda."
    It's like the Seinfeld episode with the rental car (or lack thereof, actually).

Seinfeld: "I had a reservation. That means that you're supposed to hold a car for me."

Woman behind counter, in condescending tone: "I know what a reservation is."

Seinfeld: "I don't think you do!"