Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Wow. What about United dragging a doctor out the plane who would not give up his seat when they overbooked the flight?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ompting-outcry

I am not a lawyer and I don't know much about being a lawyer, but I would like to be this person's lawyer.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Wow. What about United dragging a doctor out the plane who would not give up his seat when they overbooked the flight?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ompting-outcry

I am not a lawyer and I don't know much about being a lawyer, but I would like to be this person's lawyer.
    The intertubes are blowing up over this one. I have seen several videos related to this incident. If I was on the jury in the eventual lawsuit here, my only question to the judge would be, "Your honor, are we allowed to give an 8-digit award or are we limited to 7?"

In a stunning development, the Chicago Police Department has dragged itself into this mess. I'll allow this article to explain.

Even though the Chicago Police Department was not involved in the incident, many news media outlets that didn't realize Aviation Department Police are a different agency were calling Chicago Police for comment. Instead of remaining quiet on the matter, CPD decided to tell reporters the man "fell" on his face and injured himself. CPD issued a statement on Monday, described the passenger as "irate," and said aviation security officers "attempted to carry" the man off the plane "when he fell."
    Someone really, really stupid is running communications for the CPD. Ha!

I also enjoyed this drawing, "United is now offering a new class of service. Now you can fly first, economy plus, economy or..."

United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz is being roasted on Twitter saying the airline is sorry it had to "re-accommodate" the passenger. Re-accommodate?!?!?!!? In what can only be described as the best irony of the day, Munoz is set to receive an award tonight from PRWeek as the "Communicator of the Year." Bwahahahahahahahaha!

-Jason "clearly, United and the airport police and the airport itself are all going to get sued... United could have chartered a plane to fly these 4 United Employees to Louisville and it would have been a lot cheaper than the lawsuits will be" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm flying United next month. I dare them to try dragging me off of my flight.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'll tell you what scares me. I have one million lifetime miles on United, and I fear this foolish and evil incident will put them out of business, along with my miles.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Is this the same airlines that booted young girls from a flight for wearing leggings? (Yes, they were "employee seats," but the PR was bad)

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I'm not a lawyer either, but legally, it's going to be hard to make a case against United.

What they did -- removing a ticketed passenger from a seat to make room for somebody else -- happens all the time -- an average of 40,000 times a year according to one passenger-rights advocate. The law is written to give the airlines absolute blanket legal immunity from doing this. Usually, it doesn't involve dragging a passenger out kicking and screaming, but over-booking is the rule of the industry and passengers with valid tickets are bumped every day -- with absolutely NO legal recourse.

Now, there may be a claim based on excessive force ... is United, exercizing its legal right to throw a paying passenger off a flight on their whim, libel for the behavior of the airport cops?

That I don't know. But while the PR damage is massive, I not as sure United is legally in any trouble at all.

Maybe that's why they are acting to so hi-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I'll tell you what scares me. I have one million lifetime miles on United, and I fear this foolish and evil incident will put them out of business, along with my miles.
    Yeah, someone I know noted "I don't know why folks are worried about United having this problem in the future. I doubt there is ever another fully booked United flight."

Meanwhile, a smart PR person says United's CEO massively flunked today's test of leadership and has a suggestion for how it should have been handled.

Here’s what Munoz should have said instead on Monday morning:

“I have just seen the video from Flight 3411, and like all of you I am shocked. I have immediately cleared my calendar of all other commitments, and I am going to our company’s facilities at O’Hare to conduct a personal inquiry. All personnel involved in this incident will be reporting to me in person immediately. I am going to find out how this happened, who did what and why. I notice that the passenger’s violent removal was conducted by law enforcement personnel, not by United staff, and I am going to demand a full explanation from the relevant authorities as well. Meanwhile, I apologize personally to the passenger, to all others on the flight, to our customers and to the American public. I expect to issue a further report within 72 hours.”

If Munoz’s lawyers think that statement opens them up to — eek! — “legal liabilities,” I have some news for them.

The video is all the evidence an attorney is going to need. You’re going to be writing a big fat check anyway. Showing good faith now is going to help more than it could hurt.
    -Jason "amazingly, United stock was up $.90 today... I just can't see how this doesn't do some short-term damage to their business, but maybe I am overthinking it" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'm not a lawyer either, but legally, it's going to be hard to make a case against United.

What they did -- removing a ticketed passenger from a seat to make room for somebody else -- happens all the time -- an average of 40,000 times a year according to one passenger-rights advocate. The law is written to give the airlines absolute blanket legal immunity from doing this. Usually, it doesn't involve dragging a passenger out kicking and screaming, but over-booking is the rule of the industry and passengers with valid tickets are bumped every day -- with absolutely NO legal recourse.

Now, there may be a claim based on excessive force ... is United, exercizing its legal right to throw a paying passenger off a flight on their whim, libel for the behavior of the airport cops?

That I don't know. But while the PR damage is massive, I not as sure United is legally in any trouble at all.

Maybe that's why they are acting to so hi-handed.
    The challenge is going to be getting in front of a jury, because I am betting that if you can get it to a jury then the jury is going to shower you with money.

That said, I'll be stunned if United doesn't just write a million dollar check to quiet this thing. A million bucks is almost meaningless to them. This is a company that made (profit, not revenues) $6.5 billion last year. They don't even notice writing a million dollar (heck, even a $10 mil) check.

What matters is the bad PR and the bookings they lose due to people being angry or afraid to fly United. A trial isn't even a mild possibility.

-Jason "I agree that the aviation police are a likely lawsuit target too, but my bet is that United settles for everyone and makes it go away as quietly as possible" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The challenge is going to be getting in front of a jury, because I am betting that if you can get it to a jury then the jury is going to shower you with money.
    What is the jury going to be find United guilty of doing wrong? They certainly had the right to remove the passenger and I do not think United employs the airport cops. I also think the airport cops have more latitude post-9/11. Clearly, the passenger refused to follow their directives. I'm surprise the passenger was not arrested.

-Jason "amazingly, United stock was up $.90 today... I just can't see how this doesn't do some short-term damage to their business, but maybe I am overthinking it" Evans
    This may be a reflection of the size of check United will be writing.

Yes, this is bad PR, but it's also a lot of free PR. Stuff like this can get a guy elected POTUS.

The closest thing I can think of is that phone call recorded by a guy trying to quit Comcast. As far as I could tell from google, Comcast's stock wasn't affected. If that company is still in existence, I don't see how this is going to be a major problem for United.

That said, the idea that I can buy an airline ticket and not be guaranteed a seat (outside of security reasons) is idiotic and it would be nice if that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    That said, the idea that I can buy an airline ticket and not be guaranteed a seat (outside of security reasons) is idiotic and it would be nice if that changed.
    To me, THAT is the issue -- that the law is written to protect the airlines and screw the passenger.

In almost every other case, the failure to deliver on a purchased contract would open you up to all kinds of liability issues ... but not with an airline, which can cancel your contract with them unilaterally at any point (even after you have taken a seat on your plane) -- for no reason except they want to do it.

The law allows them to do that.

It's a good reminder of Mr. Bumble's famous line from Oliver Twist: "The law is an xxx."

(Note" the DBR filter won't let me quote Mr. Dickens directly, but you all know what three-letter word we're talking about.

Somewhere, in a seventh-floor corner office in College Park, Georgia, a Delta exec is thanking the Lord for the answering of her or his prayers.

And here all I thought they did was break guitars.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's a good reminder of Mr. Bumble's famous line from Oliver Twist: "The law is an xxx."

(Note" the DBR filter won't let me quote Mr. Dickens directly, but you all know what three-letter word we're talking about.
    U-N-C?

There are a handful of weird airline stories every year, and each one sticks out in the memory until the next one comes along. It would take an unprecedented level of corporate stupidity to keep this incident from going away.

My Take

First of all United needed the seats to take crew members to Louisville for another flight. IMHO they should have figured that out before they boarded the Chicago flight, offered compensation, and then if they still needed a seat done the lottery thing and kept someone off the flight. It seems to be that it is a lot easier to keep someone from boarding then to drag them off the plane.

Once they seated the guy, he flies. United should have found an alternative to get the crew member to Louisville. Charter, limo, Uber, who knows.

There are many on line who say they will never fly United again. What is their alternative? Another crappy domestic airline!

Deregulation has brought low cost flights and lousy service. How much more would you pay for an airline that provided good service?

I can remember when airlines used to advertise and promote their service and food. Now I think everyone just goes on line to try to find the least cost flight. When is the last time you saw a domestic airline ad on TV?

SoCal

Like others, emotionally I would like to excoriate the airline. But the rational side of me can't Too many unknowns. The four crew needed to be in SDF so that another flight could get in the air. Gov't regs and cheap customers are driving that. The passenger was offered $800. Did they offer that amount to anyone else, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The passenger was offered $800. Did they offer that amount to anyone else, etc.?
    All passengers were offered $800 and no one took it. The passengers on the plane were told there would be a random lottery and the good doctor lost (or won, depending on how much you want to make a couple million bucks from a lawsuit after being assaulted by airport cops).

I am not sure if United gave the knocked-senseless doctor $800 in addition to his bloody lip.

I am sure there is a number that would have gotten 4 volunteers to step forward. I am betting $800 was darn close to that number. I am certain that whatever it would have taken, even if they had offered the seemingly absurd sum of $2000 per seat, it would cost United a lot lot lot lot lot lot lot less than what this mess is costing them.