Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Do the Devils proud Luke.

Thanks,

...and

next play(er)

Can't even take an afternoon nap without waking to someone else leaving. That's it. No more naps.

Good Luck Luke..I hope it works out well for you.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    This thread is a perfect example of the weird place that college basketball fans find themselves in in the era of early NBA entry (I won't say one-and-done era because obviously that wasn't Luke): we obviously want out players to do well and for our team to win, but we simultaneously don't want our players to do too well, because if they do the current system incentivizes them to "take the money and run", for lack of a better phrase. That in turn prevents our team from truly benefitting from their improvement and hurts future iterations of the team. In the last ten or so years the best teams (whether they win the title or not) seem to be teams that have players who underperform early in their careers, allowing them to blossom late (see: Kentucky's undefeated regular season, multiple B1G teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State, the last two years of UNC, etc).

It's a bizarre and often painful world to live in as a college basketball fan, and considering the NBA has no incentive to address issues in the college game it probably isn't going to change any time soon. Still, I think most people acknowledge that a situation like that in baseball, where you either go straight to the draft from high school or are required to stay in school for at least two (or is it three?) years before reentering the draft, would be ideal for basketball as well (and it might even improve the quality of rookie play in the NBA by ensuring only players who are truly "ready" go to the draft). Hopefully we get there sooner rather than later.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Duke players don't test the waters historically. If they declare they go. This was expected. I expect Grayson will announce he is staying soon.
    That was what my mind was saying but my heart was hoping.

IMO, a smart move. Luke needed to reflect on what happened when Grayson was in a similar position after his sophomore season.

Well, what do y'all expect? We're a football school!
    Love,, Ima

Duke players don't test the waters historically. If they declare they go. This was expected. I expect Grayson will announce he is staying soon.
    I agree, Grayson should stay. If he stays, he will have a strong senior season which will put him in a much better draft position.

Wow, lots of jilted lovers on this board. Luke doesn't owe us anything. He exemplified Duke basketball for two years, won a lot of games, and got us a fancy banner to hang.

Of course it is disappointing that he isn't going to be on the squad next year, but the reason he won't be around is that he had a spectacular season.

College basketball players are like millenials in the workplace; sticking around until it becomes inconvenient or a better offer comes along. I say that with no degree of judgment, just offer it as a fact.

When Laettner, Hill, and Hurley stuck around 25 years ago... they were already artificats of the old brigade.

The same complications that I (and many of you, I am sure) face in staffing our workplace with young people are paralleled by K's difficulty in keeping players. There aren't necessarily solutions to this, but rather just recognizing the situation is quite useful when making staff/team projections.

Good luck, Luke! Was fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Well, what do y'all expect? We're a football school!
    Love,, Ima

And a women's golf school! And a men's lacrosse school! Proving we are a school!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    College basketball players are like millenials in the workplace; sticking around until it becomes inconvenient or a better offer comes along. I say that with no degree of judgment, just offer it as a fact.
    However, the NBA players will not be living in their parent's basement when they're 25. I say that with no degree of judgment, just offer it as a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    However, the NBA players will not be living in their parent's basement when they're 25. I say that with no degree of judgment, just offer it as a fact.
    Touché.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    It's always the NBA and their floods of cash.
    Luke will probably make about $4 million in his first contract (3 seasons). If an employer offered you $4 million to work for them for the next 3 years, would you refuse and do volunteer work instead?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Alas, but some of them actually will...

I always thought Luke would be a 4 yr player but once the collective powers that be started putting him in their mock drafts and started writing articles suggesting he should go, the tide turned just like always on these things. Luke goes from thinking he would be a role player on this year's team and a 3 to 4 yr player, to suddenly contemplating entering the draft and that was all she wrote.

Very much expected and I wish him well. I hope he rocks it and will always pull for him just like all the other NBA Dukies.

Hopefully Grayson will announce soon that he is returning, and we sign Duval and Knox. If those 3 things happen we will have a great group of kids with talent.

I ignore that group, but must admit, it's well documented the UNC players mature very, very slowly. In their defense, their role model refuses to assume accountability and responsibility for his program's actions, so why should they assume any accountability or responsibility? It would make sense if they're living in their parent's basement when they're 25.

I always thought Luke would be a 4 yr player but once the collective powers that be started putting him in their mock drafts and started writing articles suggesting he should go, the tide turned just like always on these things. Luke goes from thinking he would be a role player on this year's team and a 3 to 4 yr player, to suddenly contemplating entering the draft and that was all she wrote.

Very much expected and I wish him well. I hope he rocks it and will always pull for him just like all the other NBA Dukies.

Hopefully Grayson will announce soon that he is returning, and we sign Duval and Knox. If those 3 things happen we will have a great group of kids with talent.
    With the ones we know are returning and the incoming class, that to me is already a done deal, a great group of kids with talent. If any or all of the other 3 are on the team, it will add to that group no doubt.

I'm getting numb to this. If Grayson, Frank, Vrank, Javin, Jack and the Little Admiral declared, I wouldn't be surprised.

The college game is still best, but not as good as it was, say, five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    I'm getting numb to this. If Grayson, Frank, Vrank, Javin, Jack and the Little Admiral declared, I wouldn't be surprised.

The college game is still best, but not as good as it was, say, five years ago.
    It was great in March-April of 2015.

He will be missed .hope he does well.

Next time a kid says he came to Duke to be a part of something, we know he didn't mean the program, but rather the NBA Draft.

Best of luck to Luke and I really can't fault a kid for leaving when someone is throwing millions of dollars at him.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Luke has been the player I have enjoyed watching the most since Langdon. Luke has an amazing feel for the game. High IQ, sixth sense kind of deal.

Back when I played, I aspired to play like Luke. I could pull off an ocasional crafty move in the lane like Luke but he has a gift. I don't think most people get how hard it is to operate in the the lane when you are undersized and not blessed with NBA athleticism. Good luck Luke, I'm going to miss watching you play.