Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to watch Duke games after cutting the cord?

I'm contemplating getting rid of cable/dish and wanted to see how others are managing their Duke basketball and football game watching after doing this.

I found this older thread, but wanted to see if there's any new update to how people are managing.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...t=cutting+cord

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I'm contemplating getting rid of cable/dish and wanted to see how others are managing their Duke basketball and football game watching after doing this.

I found this older thread, but wanted to see if there's any new update to how people are managing.

Well, as long as you can procure an ESPN log in, you are covered... not sure of any other way to watch most of the conference games.

I've been using PS Vue which is Playstation's streaming service. I believe it's about $20-$25/mo with no annual contract. I plan to cancel the service now that CBB is over and I will probably renew once CFB starts back up (unless I find another alternative). They have apps for PC/Mac as well as for smartphones and tablets so a PlayStation is not required. SlingTV and DirectTV Now are very similar services you may want to take a look at.

I will say that at times the quality can fade for a few seconds and there is a little bit more of a delay than you would see with TWC, DISH, or another big name - but to me it isn't that big of a deal since I only used live TV for a couple months/year.

This might help give a side-by-side:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sling-tv...view-2691.html

I canceled my Dish subscription prior to the season, and I've been using Sling with the extra sports package (includes ACC network), which costs $25 a month, and an antenna (free after initial purchase) for games on local channels. Using just these 2, I have not missed a single game in HD all season.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, as long as you can procure an ESPN log in, you are covered... not sure of any other way to watch most of the conference games.
    Echo this. Find a friend or relative with ESPN access and use their login. ESPN and ESPN2 is almost everything you need for basketball, football you should have ESPNU/ESPN3. The occasional CBS game can be streamed on the CBS Sports app or pulled from an antenna.

changing so fast

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I canceled my Dish subscription prior to the season, and I've been using Sling with the extra sports package (includes ACC network), which costs $25 a month, and an antenna (free after initial purchase) for games on local channels. Using just these 2, I have not missed a single game in HD all season.
    I also use Sling and the extra sports package, via a Roku, and I bought and use an antenna for two of the three tvs in my townhome, to get the OTA HD channels. I researched carefully, and for me this is the best option. I also do HULU without commercials and do netflix. If you want to start with a non-committment first option for cord-cutting, I suggest ROKU+Sling+Hulu+Netflix. Then change to whatever you see is best. That is good for me and my wife and daughters, age 13 and 10. I cut cable 3 years ago. (I also fought hard to reduce my internet etc costs...use consumer cellular for my 5 cell phones and land line...they are so much cheaper than verizon and other...so my internet/phones/TV costs are SOOO much less)

My only added info is you have to keep track of the market. It is changing at a million miles per hour. Sling changes (improves), other good options have come out that may fit you better, and in the last 3 years, there hasn't been a three-month window where things haven't changed significantly.

Just google "cord cutting" or something similar every few months, or have it on your personalized googlenews, and you'll be up to date on this quickly changing market.

The best thing is that with Sling, and many other options, being monthly, you are always free to switch if you see something better.

Hope this helps a few people. I spend lots of time, years ago, over the course of a couple weeks arriving at my current plans. Cord cutting feels so good.

Marc

Also, Sling has a 1 week free trial, in case you aren't sure your internet connection can handle streaming in HD.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcStarnes View Post
    ... Cord cutting feels so good ...
    But how do you satisfy the urge to have interminable phone calls involving multiple transfers between people and machines about unexplained, increased charges on your bill every couple of months?

I used PS Vue this past season. It was $45/mth for the top end package. I was able to watch every game this season. After Duke was eliminated, I cancelled my subscription. I will start it up again next November. The service works on PC, Amazon Fire TV and I believe Apple TV. You also have access to the WatchESPN app with the subscription. The quality was quite good but highly dependent (understandably) on your internet connection.

I tried the free trial for Sling. It's not a bad alternative but I liked PS Vue a little bit more.

I can't remember the last time I regretted cutting the cord.

Like most of these I use an online streaming service (DirecTV Now in my case which includes ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN U/ESPN News, plus access to the ACC Network), Hulu, and a HD satellite for the local channels. It's fine other than a slight delay when watching games on ESPN. I'm saving about $100 a month from when I had a Comcast cable package.

I would research the options that the other posters have mentioned to see what one is best for you. Keep in mind that Hulu is coming out with a live streaming product in the Fall, and the beta reviews have been positive. I'm hoping to switch over to that once it launches.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I used PS Vue this past season. It was $45/mth for the top end package. I was able to watch every game this season. After Duke was eliminated, I cancelled my subscription. I will start it up again next November. The service works on PC, Amazon Fire TV and I believe Apple TV. You also have access to the WatchESPN app with the subscription. The quality was quite good but highly dependent (understandably) on your internet connection.

I tried the free trial for Sling. It's not a bad alternative but I liked PS Vue a little bit more.

I can't remember the last time I regretted cutting the cord.
    I used Playstation Vue as well.

For $29.99 I got every channel you need for basketball

ESPN
    ESPN2
    CBS
    TNT
    TBS
    TruTV

Will keep the service through the NBA Draft, then cut it until November.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I used Playstation Vue as well.

For $29.99 I got every channel you need for basketball

ESPN
    ESPN2
    CBS
    TNT
    TBS
    TruTV

Will keep the service through the NBA Draft, then cut it until November.
    Does PS Vue require the Playstation hardware? Or is it app-based, such that it might be available on an Apple TV, Firestick, Chromecast, or Roku?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I use Direct TV Now. PS Vue is good too and $5 cheaper ($30).

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

I'm thinking this is a 2 step process. 1) Pick up a cold 6 pack 2) Walk across the neighborhood to my house

I subscribe to Sling on the PC connected to my TV every year, and every year it tends to crash about once every two hours on that platform. I'm probably going to try out Playstation Vue or Google's upcoming TV offering for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Does PS Vue require the Playstation hardware? Or is it app-based, such that it might be available on an Apple TV, Firestick, Chromecast, or Roku?
    PS Vue does not require Playstation Hardware.

Also worth keeping an eye on YouTube TV. https://www.cnet.com/products/youtube-tv/preview/

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    PS Vue does not require Playstation Hardware.

Also worth keeping an eye on YouTube TV. https://www.cnet.com/products/youtube-tv/preview/
    Technically it does not need PS hardware, but it is much more difficult to cancel the subscription if you do not have the hardware. Your mileage may vary, however.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm thinking this is a 2 step process. 1) Pick up a cold 6 pack 2) Walk across the neighborhood to my house
    Oh NOW you invite me. We could have unjinxed Duke against S. Carolina!

I borrowed an ESPN login (swapped with my dad and let him use my netflix login), and have a digital antenna for local networks. Having both of our games be on TBS was a pain this year though - the March Madness app kind of sucks (and you need a cable login for that too).

I tried both sling and vue but found the streaming quality very poor on both. Might just be my internet connection but netflix, hulu & prime all work well on the same connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I borrowed an ESPN login (swapped with my dad and let him use my netflix login), and have a digital antenna for local networks. Having both of our games be on TBS was a pain this year though - the March Madness app kind of sucks (and you need a cable login for that too).

I tried both sling and vue but found the streaming quality very poor on both. Might just be my internet connection but netflix, hulu & prime all work well on the same connection.
    My March Madness app was seamless this year.