Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Any alternate solution to offer? To quote Ross Perot: "I'm all ears."
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I thought that was Barack Obama who said that.
    BO didn't need to say it ...

What the email was sent in on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    After thinking about it, and finally seeing the mark and re-mark a few minutes ago, I have to agree with Chamblee.

Did she gain an advantage? Not that I could tell. The green was flawless and she was NOT going to miss that putt from either position. But the penalty is there to protect those who follow the rules, and Thompson did not.

The added two strokes IS ridiculous, however. The original penalty is sufficient to cover the infraction.
    What if the infraction happened on Sunday, Lexi had "won" by one stroke, and the viewer sent in the email on Monday. Would you take away the trophy, tell the 2nd place golfer that she had won? If there was a tie for 2nd have a play off starting as soon as the competitors could get back to the course?

When the round is over it is over. Once the scorecard is accepted it is the score. If after the fact you find blatant cheating, take away the victory but don't rely on TV viewers to find incidental infractions of the rules.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    What if the infraction happened on Sunday, Lexi had "won" by one stroke, and the viewer sent in the email on Monday. Would you take away the trophy, tell the 2nd place golfer that she had won? If there was a tie for 2nd have a play off starting as soon as the competitors could get back to the course?

When the round is over it is over. Once the scorecard is accepted it is the score. If after the fact you find blatant cheating, take away the victory but don't rely on TV viewers to find incidental infractions of the rules.

SoCal
    And if they had done the sensible thing and just invoked the 2-stroke penalty without the additional penalty for an incorrect scorecard, the result would have been different. I'm surprised that so much of the debate has been about the nature of the call-in (or e-mail-in) information about the infraction, rather than piling on with the incorrect scorecard penalty.