Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Real Danger of A (Potential) Cheats Title

In addition to all of us having to live with Cheat fans at Obnoxious Level Orange, here are my main concerns of what a title would do for them:

1. Recruiting. If they DO win, let's see what Knox does. And what happens from then on.

2. Penalties for their scandal. If you think they've skated so far (and, of course, they HAVE), I don't think the NCAA will EVER lay a hand on them if they win it all this year.

Zags - for the love of God, do your job Monday night.

Wink Monday

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    In addition to all of us having to live with Cheat fans at Obnoxious Level Orange, here are my main concerns of what a title would do for them:

1. Recruiting. If they DO win, let's see what Knox does. And what happens from then on.

2. Penalties for their scandal. If you think they've skated so far (and, of course, they HAVE), I don't think the NCAA will EVER lay a hand on them if they win it all this year.

Yes I second that. If UNC wins, which I don't think they will, and Knox commits to them, it will be 2009 again. But 2010 worked out pretty well for us. You just never know. At this point I'd be thrilled with Duval, Kennard, Carter, Trent, Bolden and Jackson next year. Sorry know this isn't a "who returns" thread. Go Zags!!

What's interesting is this lack of recruiting has actually helped them. They haven't gotten the one and done stars which has helped mold their team into an experienced group of veterans. This is their main reason for success last year and this year. If they start recruiting better, I'm not sure it will actually make them a better team.

True

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    What's interesting is this lack of recruiting has actually helped them. They haven't gotten the one and done stars which has helped mold their team into an experienced group of veterans. This is their main reason for success last year and this year. If they start recruiting better, I'm not sure it will actually make them a better team.
    That is an excellent point. At the start of the year, I was astounded at how much Final Four experience they returned. I didn't like it, but looking at what they had coming back I wondered why they weren't preseason number one. Not that it really matters at this point. But experience does. And luckily the Zags have experience as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    That is an excellent point. At the start of the year, I was astounded at how much Final Four experience they returned. I didn't like it, but looking at what they had coming back I wondered why they weren't preseason number one. Not that it really matters at this point. But experience does. And luckily the Zags have experience as well.
    I saw somewhere that they have 56 more games of NCAA tournament experience than the next most experienced team in this years tournament.

If valentine officiates the final the zagz are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    He's not in the finals. If they will call a push in the back against Meeks I think the Zags will be okay. Big man from Gonzaga won't be easy to push anyway.

The real danger isn't recruiting. The true real danger is that other schools will see the payoff from engaging in academic fraud and the NCAA's reticence to punish such behavior, which will accelerate the race to the academic gutter.

What UNC has done is abhorrent on every level. They abandoned their responsibility to educate young men and women and chose to pursue the riches associated with athletic success. I once held the university in high esteem, but no longer. Not that they care, since they're all in on athletics. UNC has performed a disservice not only to students but to the exceptional professors there.

FWIW, I am pretty sure I saw a quote from Knox where he said whether UNC wins the championship will not be much of a factor in his decision--more about the coaches and the players who will be leaving and returning. But I admit I can't find the reference.

The goal of college basketball teams is to win titles. Recruiting is a tool to help that. Not the other way around. I never understand why fans are so focused on recruiting immediately after winning a national title.

(not trying to give you a hard time, OP, you're hardly alone - I remember it being a huge point of discussion here after the 2010 and 2015 titles)

How would UNC winning a championship help them avoid penalties? I know many people believe that the NCAA would never punish UNC but the Committee on Infractions doesn't seem to share this belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    The goal of college basketball teams is to win titles. Recruiting is a tool to help that. Not the other way around. I never understand why fans are so focused on recruiting immediately after winning a national title.

(not trying to give you a hard time, OP, you're hardly alone - I remember it being a huge point of discussion here after the 2010 and 2015 titles)
    Honestly, I didn't think my statement was THAT hard to understand.

But thanks for explaining goals and tools and stuff. Silly of me to imply that winning titles is a tool to help recruiting. Who knew that it was entirely a one-way street? I mean, besides YOU.

Fans might be focused on recruiting after winning a title because - and I'm just a simple man making a wild guess - they might like to get more talented players and win ANOTHER title. All just baseless speculation, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    How would UNC winning a championship help them avoid penalties? I know many people believe that the NCAA would never punish UNC but the Committee on Infractions doesn't seem to share this belief.
    True. We've all seen how the COI has brutalized them, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    The real danger isn't recruiting. The true real danger is that other schools will see the payoff from engaging in academic fraud and the NCAA's reticence to punish such behavior, which will accelerate the race to the academic gutter.

What UNC has done is abhorrent on every level. They abandoned their responsibility to educate young men and women and chose to pursue the riches associated with athletic success. I once held the university in high esteem, but no longer. Not that they care, since they're all in on athletics. UNC has performed a disservice not only to students but to the exceptional professors there.
    I could not possibly agree more. The main lesson to take from UNC's back-to-back final fours is that, if cheating pays, long-term institutionalized cheating creates a bonanza.

I'm no polyanna when it comes to college athletics, but the NCAA's refusal to do anything the UNC basketball is such bs. It ticks me off so much that I may not watch the final tomorrow night, because we'll have to hear about how a win by the Heels somehow "vindicates" Williams and the school. It's a joke that a full year has come and gone and nothing has happened to this program.

I hope the Zags stomp them into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjenkins View Post

I hope the Zags stomp them into oblivion.
    I think we can all agree on THAT.

In my mind...

Zags have already won their first National Title, whether the NCAA chooses to do the right thing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Officials for Title Game(subject to change on whim of NCAA):

Gonzaga games/GU record/// unc games/unc record

Mike Eades: none/// 4-1

Verne Harris: 6-0/// 0-1

Michael Stephens: 1-0/// 1-0

T. Oglesby(alternate): none/// none

Guys, just please call a few of the usually multiple travels on unc and maybe 1 or 2 three second calls(unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Officials for Title Game(subject to change on whim of NCAA):

Gonzaga games/GU record/// unc games/unc record

Mike Eades none/// 4-1

Verne Harris 6-0/// 0-1

Michael Stephens 1-0/// 1-0

T. Oglesby(alternate) none/// none

Guys, just please call a few of the usually multiple travels on unc and maybe 1 or 2 three second calls(unlikely) plus, the frequent OTB/pushing episodes.
    Phrase added for additional violation calls requested.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Phrase added for additional violation calls requested.
    Amen!