Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tough Week

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Recruiting a current Duke player? Is that a euphemism for convincing someone considering transferring to stay?
    Could also be counseling a player to return to Duke rather than leaving for the NBA (Luke, Grayson, or Bolden).

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I still think even with Frank Jackson leading the team, we're a sweet 16 team. I'd just temper championship expectations.
    Love your optimism, but this year's team could not reach the Sweet 16. Given the number of question marks surrounding the make up of next year's Blue Devils, we might want to slow our roll just a wee bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Love your optimism, but this year's team could not reach the Sweet 16. Given the number of question marks surrounding the make up of next year's Blue Devils, we might want to slow our roll just a wee bit.
    In terms of talent, the team this year was Final game material. Turns out the team had plenty of flaws that were a product of injuries, lack of defensive cohesion, and lack of PG. But the team was clearly FF material.

Next year, with Frank Jackson at the helm and coupled with Trent and Wendall, we are an NCAA team. Throw in Duval, and we're Sweet 16 material. Throw in Kennard or Allen and Knox, and we're FF. On paper.

And that's the key. On paper vs on the floor.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

This year's team won the ACC tournament. We lost essentially a road game to a team that would then wallop Baylor by 20 and then beat Florida to get to the Final Four. In other words, we played a Final Four team as close as anyone else in the tournament has so far. We also beat another of the final four teams 2 of 3 times.

To say that this team could not reach the Sweet 16 is wrong. We did not, but that is more a statement of circumstance than it is a statement about this team's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I will say that our bum coaches who everyone hates now have been working their tails off since the SC loss...
    Oh come on Trouble, take that frown and geeesh. Opening Day is looming! Who hates the coaches?! Maybe some whiner dumbbells but who cares what they think anyway.
    Chins up my man!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This year's team won the ACC tournament. We lost essentially a road game to a team that would then wallop Baylor by 20 and then beat Florida to get to the Final Four. In other words, we played a Final Four team as close as anyone else in the tournament has so far. We also beat another of the final four teams 2 of 3 times.

To say that this team could not reach the Sweet 16 is wrong. We did not, but that is more a statement of circumstance than it is a statement about this team's quality.
    When provided the opportunity to advance to the Sweet 16, this Blue Devil team was not successful. How's that? ��

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    and we're FF. On paper. And that's the key. On paper vs on the floor.
    Probably THE lesson from the 2016-2017 Blue Devil season.

When provided the opportunity to advance to the Sweet 16, this Blue Devil team was not successful. How's that? ��
    Sure. This was a Final Four caliber team that ran into the wrong team on the wrong day a few rounds too early.

Whoa, since when was I the pessimist of this board? I've ALWAYS been an optimist on this forum.
    It's all good, kAzE. I meant the next post is yours.

Whoa, since when was I the pessimist of this board? I've ALWAYS been an optimist on this forum.
    There is only one pessimist of this board.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    In terms of talent, the team this year was Final game material. Turns out the team had plenty of flaws that were a product of injuries, lack of defensive cohesion, and lack of PG. But the team was clearly FF material.

Next year, with Frank Jackson at the helm and coupled with Trent and Wendall, we are an NCAA team. Throw in Duval, and we're Sweet 16 material. Throw in Kennard or Allen and Knox, and we're FF. On paper.

And that's the key. On paper vs on the floor.
    The floor is a paper roof.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.