Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For the record - did Maye travel before shooting?

Was that a travel before getting the shot off? I know refs tend to swallow their whistles in those moments but it looked as though he had possession and stepped. back without dribbling.

I didn't see a travel in real time.

He did not seem to hold the ball long enough to move both feet back. One thing is for sure, he made the shot, which is very impressive for a former walk-on.

Just my 2 cents - I did not think it was a travel. Jumpshooters often move their feet to get them set, which is never called. Matt Jones will often do something like that with his little sidestep move for an open 3.

Congrats to the cheats on that one. It was a great shot - a life-changing moment for Luke Maye. I'll give them their due.

But they haven't won it yet. Go Ducks!!

No but Paige traveled and double dribbled before that losing shot

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Just my 2 cents - I did not think it was a travel. Jumpshooters often move their feet to get them set, which is never called. Matt Jones will often do something like that with his little sidestep move for an open 3.

Congrats to the cheats on that one. It was a great shot - a life-changing moment for Luke Maye. I'll give them their due.

But they haven't won it yet. Go Ducks!!
    didn't look like a travel to me....looked like 20 years of cheatin...but, no travel on that play...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Not a travel in my view. Just a clutch shot.

50 years ago, that was a travel. Today? Not even close...even if that was NC State playing, we wouldn't have been called for a travel!

It's a travel. You can't hop back like that. It's the Hansbrough hop 😂

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    50 years ago, that was a travel. Today? Not even close...even if that was NC State playing, we wouldn't have been called for a travel!
    Duke had it's share of travel calls this season. Some called correctly and many that were not called correctly. GoDuke!

i sure like telling a cheater fan at work that it was a walk. it REALLY pisses him off.

He took three steps and jumped to shoot. He traveled, but lots of people get away with it. I don't begrudge him his moment now it's over, but I sure wish they'd called it on him.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Kinda like the moving screen on Kyle in 2010???

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    He took three steps and jumped to shoot. He traveled, but lots of people get away with it. I don't begrudge him his moment now it's over, but I sure wish they'd called it on him.
    I do not agree. No way that was a travel, just a great play. The silver lining is that Kentucky and Calipari lost.

Not a travel. He's just somehow morphed into a folk hero.

I've wanted to state that Luke Maye is trash, but he's proven again and again that he's a solid college player and can knock down shots.

I wonder if part of his success is that defenses kind of forget about him and he takes advantage? Wonder how it will be next year when he has to be more of a focal point of the offense...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Not a travel. He's just somehow morphed into a folk hero.

I've wanted to state that Luke Maye is trash,
    but he's proven again and again that he's a solid college player and can knock down shots.

I wonder if part of his success is that defenses kind of forget about him and he takes advantage? Wonder how it will be next year when he has to be more of a focal point of the offense...
    Wow, "trash?" That seems a bit harsh on a kid who wanted to play for a team so bad he skipped good scholarships to attend his dream school (however misguided that desire is).
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow, "trash?" That seems a bit harsh on a kid who wanted to play for a team so bad he skipped good scholarships to attend his dream school (however misguided that desire is).
    "Trash" as in, not a good player. Nothing to do with his personality or overall human worth.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    "Trash" as in, not a good player. Nothing to do with his personality or overall human worth.
    Okay, fair enough.

I have seen a lot of growth out of him this year. Definitely a hardworker who has made the most of his minutes on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Okay, fair enough.

I have seen a lot of growth out of him this year. Definitely a hardworker who has made the most of his minutes on the court.
    Definitely. Hard to root against a kid that took a walk on spot as a 2-3 star prospect and has worked his way into a rotation player that hit a game winner in the elite 8 against Kentucky.

Right now, he's a "lunch pail" guy but could evolve even more into a significant piece of their team.

I've heard a couple people mention this so I wanted to set the record straight... the legend of the Luke Maye walk-on is not quite the whole story. We hear "walk on" and figure he was not a recruited player and he made himself into something special once he arrived on campus. Ummm, not exactly. Luke is very much like Duke's Lee Melchioni -- the son of a former player who had plenty of offers from power 5 D1 programs but who was willing to pay his own way to play at his father's school because that school did not have room for a scholarship his freshman year (I believe, in both Lee and Luke's case, Duke and UNC told them they would get a scholarship for sure as a soph).

By the way, Luke was never a walk-on at UNC. While he was prepared to come to school without a scholarship, Carolina had a scholarship open up before his freshman year began and gave it to him, so he has been on scholarship his whole time at Carolina.

-Jason "full on props to Luke for hitting a huge shot (no walk, not even close to a walk) and for becoming a key player. He is truly maximizing his talents... Lee did that too" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?