Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, we have a reputable reporter with a well-sourced story. Possibly or probably there is another side to it, but this is getting pretty factual as far as I am concerned.

Moreover, Washington Post reporter Craig Whitlock is a Duke grad and was editor of the Chronicle in the late 1980's. He is listed as the Pentagon and foreign policy reporter for the Post. (The National Geospatial Intelligence Agency is part of the Dept. of Defense.) I moderated a speech and discussion he led here in Steamboat at our public policy forum and have a very good impression of Craig. He has won some awards and been nominated three times for Pulitzers. If he reports a story, I tend to believe he has the facts straight.
    Not being argumentative or defensive of knight, but I do believe that these are allegations and not proven facts. Credentials do not substitute for cross examination and presentation of countervailing evidence. Prudence says to reserve judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Not being argumentative or defensive of knight, but I do believe that these are allegations and not proven facts. Credentials do not substitute for cross examination and presentation of countervailing evidence. Prudence says to reserve judgment.
    I don't disagree, but I take "allegations" to be something levied by police or prosecutors, not a newspaper article. Perhaps I am wrong, which, of course, would be the first time in my life.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 07-08-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Perhaps I am wrong, which, of course, would be the first time in my life.
    Allegedly.

I don't disagree, but I take "allegations" to be something levied by police or prosecutors, not a newspaper article. Perhaps I am wrong, which, of course, would be the first time in my life.
    Apparently Knight's lawyer disagrees with you:

“There is absolutely no credible evidence to support this in our opinion, these allegations,” Voyles said, adding that the FBI agents “reported to their superiors that there was no basis for any further action, period.”

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Apparently Knight's lawyer disagrees with you:

“There is absolutely no credible evidence to support this in our opinion, these allegations,” Voyles said, adding that the FBI agents “reported to their superiors that there was no basis for any further action, period.”
    See, he labeled them "allegations" -- I didn't. Taking Whitlock's piece at face value, I cannot imagine a criminal case being brought on such behavior.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Just a dirty old man.
    Wow. Just...How do you justify these two statements within hours of each other?

Terrific basketball mind, but his own demons ultimately made him his own worst enemy. Unlike OJ and Cosby, Knight won't face legal or civil jeopardy.

Isn't exactly a sympathetic figure and doesn't have many friends in the media. He was only 45 when he threw the chair and has always been volatile. Appeared confused during his 2016 campaign appearances, so his wife and sons should limit his public appearances. Unlikely he'll be able to help himself at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Wow. Just...How do you justify these two statements within hours of each other?
    He can be innocent of the allegations and still be a dirty old man. They are not mutually exclusive.

I concur

See, he labeled them "allegations" -- I didn't. Taking Whitlock's piece at face value, I cannot imagine a criminal case being brought on such behavior.
    Agreed. Very hard to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I assume you mean this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZD1vkzYmyI

It's pretty amazing.

And I agree - Bob Knight is a jack***. I still have no idea why people like him on this board. He's an embarrassment of epic proportions. His X's and O's is great, but everything else is rotten. Well, he does have an amazing coaching tree.
    100's of reasons to dislike Knight here are
    Some of the reasons that a few on this board may
    have a soft spot hard to overcome for RMK

Top 10 reasons to like RMK

1. Being K's coach at West Point and a part of the development of K as an all time coach and an outstanding person.
    2. The well documented and true compassion that Knight showed for K when K's dad passed while in college.
    3. 2 years that a Knight led Hoosier team (81 and 84) derailed the Heels from good shot of winning it all in the NCAA tourney
    4. Being the first coach to knock Dean off of the all time wins list.
    5. The "Traveling Tyler" video break down is fantastic.
    6. He really hated the Mich fab 5 years and said he was pulling hard for Duke over the 5 that did not win a big whatever conf championship or a national championship. ( I would have liked Mich to have won in 93)
    7. Many memorable press confs that you had to smile while watching.
    8. The story that he supposedly made MJ cry
    9. Knight arguably a better coach than Dean
    10. Golf tips video

More than enough reasons to dislike/hate him
    But he really did make his mark on this sport
    Better than great on X's and O's one of the best ever.