Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tatum declares

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Jayson - you were the class of this class. Fun to watch you get smarter ball-wise and thanks for sharing your talents with this group. Would have been fun to send you off with a championship, but it just didn't go that way this year.

Seeing my first game ever in Cameron I was awestruck by your shoulders. You have the body to make immediate noise in the Association.

Best of luck in the draft - you bring an amazing skill set to your next team.
    Well, we are sending him off with a championship--but it is the ACC championship, not the NCAA. Granted, not as special--but not chopped liver either, and Tatum was a very big part of it.

Best of luck to you, Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I think he will be better than Parker, Oak or Ingram
    Too early to tell, in my opinion. Brandon still has a ways to go as far as maturing physically. He could be a beast by the time he fills out that ridiculous frame. Jayson has an insanely high skill level, though. I think it will come down to those 2. They will be interesting to watch going forward.

Yeah, I would definitely put him behind Irving as an offensively-ready NBA guy. But definitely ahead of Parker (who is a bit of a tweener) and Okafor (who is atrocious defensively and a bit plodding offensively). Ingram is tricky because he is so far less polished than Tatum. But his physical attributes (namely that absurd wingspan) give him a chance to be special.

If I had to guess, I'd say Tatum will be the better pro. And I certainly think he'll be the better pro next year. But Ingram has tantalizing potential.

Here's a fun offseason game:

Jayson Tatum is the most talented Duke player since _________.

A. Brandon Ingram
    B. Jabari Parker
    C. Kyrie Irving
    D. Elton Brand
    E. Grant Hill

I think the answer is C, but there's a non-zero chance it could be E. Jayson is 19, he's got about 6-8 years to go before he hits his prime. A lot could happen in that time.

If it's E, that would mean he's the 2nd most talented Duke player ever. That would be special.

Very classy

great video....we're going to miss you, man...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I enjoyed watching Tatum play at Duke. He was by far the most aggressive and most "ready" of the freshmen this year. By year-end he was arguably Duke's best player. I think it's easy to forget some of the frustration and criticism directed at him the first 3/4 of the season though. Tatum was compared often to AR and not in a good way. I liked Rivers and agree with the comparison. Both players were over-confident from the jump but, most importantly, they got better every game. Still it wasn't a joyful process.

The old adage is " the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores " but too often, n the OAD era, they don't. It's useful, imo, to remember that the most "ready" freshmen are going to struggle. That means next year's freshmen are going to struggle no matter how slick their highlight videos are. 2015 was probably the best scenario as far as starting 3 freshmen but we had key upper-classmen with Quin, Amile and MP3 even then. If Duke opens next year with Carter, Duvall and Knox starting, it's probably not going to be pretty. Ideally GA and Luke will be around to balance out the youngsters. But if Duke continues to plug in 3 freshmen starters every year we won't have experienced upperclassmen like DeLaurier, Jack White and Vrank around to steady the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Here's a fun offseason game:

Jayson Tatum is the most talented Duke player since _________.

A. Brandon Ingram
    B. Jabari Parker
    C. Kyrie Irving
    D. Elton Brand
    E. Grant Hill

I think the answer is C, but there's a non-zero chance it could be E. Jayson is 19, he's got about 6-8 years to go before he hits his prime. A lot could happen in that time.

If it's E, that would mean he's the 2nd most talented Duke player ever. That would be special.
    Talent is a difficult term for me to define. Skill is easier. For me I'll change it by saying "which player was NBA talent ready". If that is the question, Tatum was three behind KI and Grant but that is rarified status.

I still hear a glimmer of criticism in some farewell posts here. Even comparisons of Rivers (which I also really dislike on this board) but I think that is way way way off base. Tatum constantly tried to find his spot in a very evolving offensive system. Sometimes he did too much, sometimes he did too little but he seemed to be constantly trying to find his spot and got better at it each game. As a freshman, injured missing many practices and no true PG, he had to mesh with ball dominant Jr Grayson, Soph Kinnard and all the other pieces. His best friend couldn't play well and yet found ways to keep him involved (Giles) when he could. His rebounds were essential all year and his blocks etc impacted the game more and more. Really really admired this kids effort and play and I am as certain as ANY Duke player he will have a monster NBA career and represent the community very well. The weaknesses of this team should not be heaped on his 18 year old shoulders.

Best of luck J Smooth (hope you avoid the Duke NBA injury bug), loved watching you, should have been ACC freshman PoY for me, certainly ACC Tournament MVP.