Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I also think Hopkins is gone for good. And one would think that Washington put a big buyout in his contract to make sure he doesn't bolt back if Boeheim leaves in the near future.

With Hopkins' departure, Syracuse promoted Adrian Autry to associate head coach - he has been there for about 7 years. I don't know if this means "new coach in waiting" or not.
    Wow, the Jim Boeheim story is very interesting. I had no idea there was that power struggle going on in Syracuse over his transition (at least that's certainly how SI makes it sound). Didn't something similar happen with Jim Calhoun at UConn?

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Wow, the Jim Boeheim story is very interesting. I had no idea there was that power struggle going on in Syracuse over his transition (at least that's certainly how SI makes it sound). Didn't something similar happen with Jim Calhoun at UConn?

- Chillin
    You might be correct. I'll check on my laptop when I get home tonight. ASSuming I can locate it...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Yeah, but let's restrict this thread to the actual coaching carousel for this offseason, with reasonable digressions into coaches currently on the hot seat. (Speaking of, Clemson is retaining Brad Brownell.)

Call it a pet peeve. I live in the present, and this forum is for people who prefer to live in the past or live in the future.
    Does that mean we can go Back to the Future without ever being in the present?

A good friend of mine would often say "There is no future in the past." If so, I" am really confused now.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post

A good friend of mine would often say "There is no future in the past." If so, I" am really confused now.
    René Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "hey, do you want a beer?" Descartes replies "I think not" -- and disappears.

Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You might be correct. I'll check on my laptop when I get home tonight. ASSuming I can locate it...
    I don't think the Syracuse job is a good job. Like Boeheim or not, he's won there for 30 plus years. That's going to be a tough act to follow. And as someone who used to live in that area, getting people to live there in the winter is no small feat. Brrr.

What do you think really happened at the Cuse

Did UDub hire Hopkins without any input from JB?

Did JB push Hopkins on UDub?

Did JB tell Hopkins "I ain't leaving next year" so Hopkins bolted.

SoCal

Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    I'm guessing Boeheim wants to stick around a few years and Hopkins is tired of waiting. If Hopkins can't keep Porter Jr. it will be some tough sledding. (Bad joke)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    Being the flippant soul that I am, "Who Cares?"

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post

"No Future In The Past"

I lie here tonight in the darkness
    I've never felt so alone
    Tomorrow I'll wake up still lonesome
    'Cause things haven't changed since you've gone

You walked out with angry words spoken
    You're leavin' cut right to the bone
    I'll pick up the pieces you have broken
    Find the strength to go on

I still remember
    How my love once held her
    How long do old memories last
    Why can't I forget it
    Why can't I admit it
    There ain't no future in the past

I still remember
    How my love once held her
    How long do old memories last
    Why can't I forget it
    Why can't I admit it
    There ain't no future in the past

-Vince Gill

"We are living in the future
    I'll tell you how I know
    I read it in the paper
    Fifteen years ago
    We're all driving rocket ships
    And talking with our minds
    And wearing turquoise jewelry
    And standing in soup lines
    We are standing in soup lines"

-- John Prine

Dennis Gates of Florida State is apparently in the mix for the Cal job. We know he's a great recruiter, was a stand-up guy in the Grayson mess, was a great student while a player and is a Cal alum. His brother is on CC's staff at Northwestern. It sounds like a good fit and I'd rather we didn't have him him recruiting for the Seminoles.

Gates is the sentimental favorite in Berkeley, but UC Irvine coach Russell Turner (ex Stanford and Wake asst) is considered the favorite.

Allegedly Gates may end up as Cal associate HC if Arizona asst Josh Pasternak gets the job. Pasternak is a former Cal asst and has some donors who will build a dedicated hoops practice facility if he gets the job.

Counzo's Mizzou deal is bad for college hoops-$21M for 7 years with a $7M buyout that automatically extends once he wins 20 games or gets to the Dance. Shades of Hewitt's contract that handcuffed GT.

Cuonzo's a good recruiter, but a mediocre coach. Can only imagine what kind of deal Brad Stevens would get if he suddenly decided to return to college now.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    Gates is the sentimental favorite in Berkeley, but UC Irvine coach Russell Turner (ex Stanford and Wake asst) is considered the favorite.
    I'd be surprised if he got it, but who knows...?

Counzo's Mizzou deal is bad for college hoops-$21M for 7 years with a $7M buyout that automatically extends once he wins 20 games or gets to the Dance. Shades of Hewitt's contract that handcuffed GT.
    When the talent is essentially free, coaches can much more easily be overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "We are living in the future
    I'll tell you how I know
    I read it in the paper
    Fifteen years ago
    We're all driving rocket ships
    And talking with our minds
    And wearing turquoise jewelry
    And standing in soup lines
    We are standing in soup lines"

-- John Prine
    "Free lunch tomorrow."

-- Sign in local diner

Allegedly Gates may end up as Cal associate HC if Arizona asst Josh Pasternak gets the job. Pasternak is a former Cal asst and has some donors who will build a dedicated hoops practice facility if he gets the job.

Cuonzo's a good recruiter, but a mediocre coach. Can only imagine what kind of deal Brad Stevens would get if he suddenly decided to return to college now.
    Joe Pasternack's bio can be found here at the UofA coaching page.

VCU didn't take long to replace Will Wade , Mike
    Rhodes. Former VCU assistant and most recently head coach at Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    IIRC, VCU has a "leadership" program they run for assistant coaches in the off-season. Their goal is to identify the best assistants and target them for hiring when they lose their current coach. They've tried to set themselves up as a stepping stone job so they best coaches will WANT to work there for a few years and it will all build itself into a stable program, although not in the P5 sense. It's pretty creative solution to the problems of a mid-major.

You either have to find some guy like Marshall who likes being the biggest fish in a small pond, or find the guys who are growing the quickest and show them you are a good stop on the way up. That's what VCU has done.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    From Wiki, which I suspect has the correct spelling. Michael David Rhoades (born September 21, 1972) is the head coach of the Virginia Commonwealth University men's basketball team.

Rhoades was associate head coach to Shaka Smart, having done well as head coach at Randolph Macon in Division III. He accepted the Rice job before Smart left for Texas. Rice has done well under Rhoades' leadership, finishing 23-12 this season.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    René Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "hey, do you want a beer?" Descartes replies "I think not" -- and disappears.
    Rene Descartes was a drunken fart. I drink therefore I am...

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Rene Descartes was a drunken fart. I drink therefore I am...
    Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.