Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 303
  1. #1

    2017 MBB Coaching Carousel

    Didn't see another thread started for this year, and we're off with a...well, not a bang, but probably more than a whimper anyway. Cuonzo Martin, late of Tennessee, has left the Cal Bears to take the head job at Mizzou. Mizzou was one of the worst P5 teams according to KenPom this year, so it's a bit surprising at first blush that Martin - who still seems to have a profile as an up-and-comer, even though he's now had 3 jobs in 9 years - would take this job. But, he's a native of East St. Louis and has coached in the state before at Missouri State.

    There are also rumors swirling that Lorenzo Romar is going to be out at Washington, which would potentially put Columbia-native and #1 2017 recruit Michael Porter back on the market. Martin certainly showed his ability to recruit at Cal (Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb were stud recruits.)

    Let the carousel begin!

  2. #2
    I should mention that Brian Gregory, fired at Georgia Tech a year ago, has just been hired at South Florida.

    He spent the last year as a consultant for Tom Izzo at Michigan State.

    Should be some work soon on Indiana, where Tom Crean could be on the way out (the Hoosiers played like it last night in Atlanta).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    Didn't see another thread started for this year, and we're off with a...well, not a bang, but probably more than a whimper anyway. Cuonzo Martin, late of Tennessee, has left the Cal Bears to take the head job at Mizzou. Mizzou was one of the worst P5 teams according to KenPom this year, so it's a bit surprising at first blush that Martin - who still seems to have a profile as an up-and-comer, even though he's now had 3 jobs in 9 years - would take this job. But, he's a native of East St. Louis and has coached in the state before at Missouri State.

    There are also rumors swirling that Lorenzo Romar is going to be out at Washington, which would potentially put Columbia-native and #1 2017 recruit Michael Porter back on the market. Martin certainly showed his ability to recruit at Cal (Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb were stud recruits.)

    Let the carousel begin!
    Always good to hire a coach who is coming off a home first round NIT loss to Cal State Bakersfield (the Roadrunners for those of you scoring at home) after losing six of their last nine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    There are also rumors swirling that Lorenzo Romar is going to be out at Washington, which would potentially put Columbia-native and #1 2017 recruit Michael Porter back on the market.
    What? How can Washington get rid of Romar? Last year he got freshman Marquese Chriss and Djounte Murray into the first round of the NBA draft. This year it appears Markelle Fultz will be one of the top few picks in the draft, perhaps number one. Next year he has Michael Poter coming in who also figures to move quickly to the top of the lottery after his stint in Washington.

    Wait... I just had a thought... I think it may be that winning games is more important to Washington than sending kids off to the NBA lottery as quick as possible. Wow... that really changes things.

    -Jason "shhhhh, no one tell Calipari about this. He will be shocked and dismayed to hear that recruiting isn't the most important thing" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Always good to hire a coach who is coming off a home first round NIT loss to Cal State Bakersfield (the Roadrunners for those of you scoring at home) after losing six of their last nine
    Rumored that it is somewhere around $3.5 million per year, which is the Tom Izzo-level, just below Self and Miller. And more than Huggins, Beilein, Matta, Alford, Marshall, Drew, Smart, and Wright.

    That is beyond bananas.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What? How can Washington get rid of Romar? Last year he got freshman Marquese Chriss and Djounte Murray into the first round of the NBA draft. This year it appears Markelle Fultz will be one of the top few picks in the draft, perhaps number one. Next year he has Michael Poter coming in who also figures to move quickly to the top of the lottery after his stint in Washington.

    Wait... I just had a thought... I think it may be that winning games is more important to Washington than sending kids off to the NBA lottery as quick as possible. Wow... that really changes things.

    -Jason "shhhhh, no one tell Calipari about this. He will be shocked and dismayed to hear that recruiting isn't the most important thing" Evans
    Of course you are correct, but I wonder if cutting Romar now really improves your situation much. He's got Porter (a stud in the mold of Kevin Durant), plus two other top-100 players coming in. Even if there's another 9-22 year coming up, your school at least gets some pub from having the likely #1 pick around. Durant didn't really accomplish much at Texas, but it (arguably) helped the school attract some national talent. Romar might even be able to catch lightning in a bottle and make the tournament with those guys.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Always good to hire a coach who is coming off a home first round NIT loss to Cal State Bakersfield (the Roadrunners for those of you scoring at home) after losing six of their last nine
    This is very true, and if it were anyone besides Mizzou who hired him, it would be a lot more eyebrow-raising. However, Martin did lead Cal to a #4 seed last year, but they were upset by #13 Hawaii in the first round. He also got Tennessee into the Sweet 16 as an 11 seed in 2014, after defeating Iowa in the play-in game, UMass in the first round, and Mercer (and for whatever reason I have a debilitating, permanent mental block for who Mercer upset) in the second round. While that was certainly a fortuitous bracket for them, they finished the year as #10 in KenPom, and were a trendy pick to beat whoever that #3 seed was.

    For Mizzou, this is about as much of a home run hire as they were going to get after the last several years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Just a reminder that the whimpering started much closer to home, with NCSU looking to fill their void before the season even ended. That will be an interesting (as always) one to watch. ACC, lots of history, yet always the ugly stepchild of Tobacco Road, and seemingly always hard to find a good fit.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Just a reminder that the whimpering started much closer to home, with NCSU looking to fill their void before the season even ended. That will be an interesting (as always) one to watch. ACC, lots of history, yet always the ugly stepchild of Tobacco Road, and seemingly always hard to find a good fit.
    Not always the ugly stepchild. Keep in mind that prior to Coach K arriving at Duke and prior to UNC-CHeat emarking on the largest academic fraud in NCAA history...NC State had as many NCAA titles as UNC and two more than Duke...not to mention more ACC titles than both. NC State made Tobacco road what it is. The problem is that we basically self exiled ourselves in the 90's, Hung onto a coach too long in the '00s, hired an alumni because I don't know why and lost another 5 years and made a decent hire that just couldn't build a program year to year.

    When you look at State, we have been able to recruit kids to play here. All we need is the right coach and I have a feeling that he's out there this time.

    If Dayton, Butler, Witchita State, NCCU, VCU and UNC-W have all lost and we still don't have a coach, I'll start to whimper

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    When you look at State, we have been able to recruit kids to play here. All we need is the right coach and I have a feeling that he's out there this time.

    If Dayton, Butler, Witchita State, NCCU, VCU and UNC-W have all lost and we still don't have a coach, I'll start to whimper
    "The truth is out there..." ??!
    The State coaching situation has long since taken on the aura of the X-files...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Romar officially fired. Someone is gonna hire him as an assistant within minutes. That man can recruit.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Romar officially fired. Someone is gonna hire him as an assistant within minutes. That man can recruit.
    and we have a couple of crystal ball prognostications sending porter to... wait for it... missouri.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    and we have a couple of crystal ball prognostications sending porter to... wait for it... missouri.
    Both him and his brother are from Columbia, and Missouri was one of his finalists. His father was also an assistant for the women's team. Martin bringing him on board seems like a no brainer.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    and we have a couple of crystal ball prognostications sending porter to... wait for it... missouri.
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/15/lorenzo-romar-washington-huskies-coach-fired

    ESPNís Paul Biancardi reported that Michael Porter Sr., a former assistant on the womenís team at Missouri, will join Martin there as an assistant coach next season. Biancardi also reports that Porter Jr. never signed a letter of intent, although Washington officially announced that he had.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Any woman who wants to date Michael Porter Jr. will have to hook Michael Porter Sr. up with her mom.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/15/lorenzo-romar-washington-huskies-coach-fired

    ESPNís Paul Biancardi reported that Michael Porter Sr., a former assistant on the womenís team at Missouri, will join Martin there as an assistant coach next season. Biancardi also reports that Porter Jr. never signed a letter of intent, although Washington officially announced that he had.
    Former Duke assistant/former JD assistant at Stanford Tim O'Toole was an assistant at Cal this past season, I believe.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    and we have a couple of crystal ball prognostications sending porter to... wait for it... missouri.
    Calipari I bet.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    How about Wes Miller at UNCG for ol' roy when the fake class fraud finally catches up with uncch?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/15/lorenzo-romar-washington-huskies-coach-fired

    ESPNís Paul Biancardi reported that Michael Porter Sr., a former assistant on the womenís team at Missouri, will join Martin there as an assistant coach next season. Biancardi also reports that Porter Jr. never signed a letter of intent, although Washington officially announced that he had.
    That would be a clear recruiting violation (to announce a player signing when he didn't).

    Schools are not allowed to mention the names of prospects to the media -- they can only be mentioned when they sign. Even verbal commitments -- the kids can tell anybody they want, but the school cannot mention a player until he (1) signs a letter of intent or (2) actually enrolls.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    That would be a clear recruiting violation (to announce a player signing when he didn't).

    Schools are not allowed to mention the names of prospects to the media -- they can only be mentioned when they sign. Even verbal commitments -- the kids can tell anybody they want, but the school cannot mention a player until he (1) signs a letter of intent or (2) actually enrolls.

    I've seen conflicting reports on this. What seems to be most reliable says that he did in fact sign his LOI (allowing the school to mention him) but didn't sign his financial aid paperwork (giving Porter an out from his UW scholarship.) I'm not exactly sure how that second part works, but from the reporting it appears Porter is free to go elsewhere.

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 MBB Coaching Carousel
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 249
    Last Post: 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM
  2. A different take on the coaching carousel
    By patentgeek in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM
  3. FB Coaching Carousel 2009
    By moonpie23 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 02:48 PM
  4. Offseason Coaching Carousel
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 02:10 PM
  5. Coaching Carousel
    By Ann Arbor Devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •