Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DBR Wager Contest - the NCAA Tournament!

If you thought the ACC wagering contest was fun, wait until we get to pick all the NCAA tourney games!

In case you do not know about the ACC Wager contest we set up back in December, you can see that pool here.

Well, now we are doing wagers on the NCAA tourney. I will steal from NYBri for an explanation.

To play:

We are using Covers.com. GO HERE and register to create an account using your DBR handle (it takes about a minute). Then GO TO THE DBR POOL PAGE and click on "make picks" in the nav bar and then use the password, "GoDuke" and you're ready to go.

The rules:

You begin with 0 and can run up to a -5000 hole, at which point you will have to drop out. You can wager 100-500 units per bet and you can wager against the spread or the over/under. The person with the largest pot at the end of the NCAA Tourney will be the winner and gain bragging rights and our praise and admiration (or perhaps some other lame award we can think of).

Since Covers.com is a pool web site, you will be afforded on the site the ability to wager on NIT, CBI, and other non-NCAA tourney games. THIS IS NOT ALLOWED FOR THIS CONTEST. WAGER ON NCAA TOURNAMENT GAMES ONLY!
    If you bet on a game that is not part of the NCAA Tournament teams there will be a penalty. You will automatically lose your wager and perhaps other penalties (I could kick you out!!).

* Disclaimer: There is no money being wagered and the term units refers only to hypothetical dollars. None of us has that kind of real dollars to bet on basketball games.

-Jason "sign up and get going... we start with the 'First Four' games on Tuesday and Wednesday and it won't be done until one team is left standing in April!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Thanks for this, Jason. This will be more fun than brackets.

Thanks Jason!

Interesting that the winner of the ACC picking contest and one of the first losers (me) are the first to sign up!

Being the degenerate that I am... can we bet on Tuesday night play-in games?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "sign up and get going... we start with the 'First Four' games on Tuesday and Wednesday and it won't be done until one team is left standing in April!" Evans
    Dr. R., See Jason's signature for the answer to your question.
    Play-in games are for the die-hard degenerates, like myself. Good luck DBR friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I picked the Wake game. Props to anyone who thinks they have any idea about a 16-vs-16 game!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm in, and I've completely abandoned any strategy or plan that I used during the ACC wager contest that kept me in second place. Instead of waiting for matchups I feel confident about, I'm going to treat this like my bracket and make a pick for every game until I'm out.

Is Covers still capping this at 10 picks per day? I'm going to continue the Pomeroy picks, but will have to find some strategy to selecting the 5 games (spreads + O/U) to pick.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Is Covers still capping this at 10 picks per day? I'm going to continue the Pomeroy picks, but will have to find some strategy to selecting the 5 games (spreads + O/U) to pick.
    That's a really good question. I posted on the help forum asking that question. I'll let you know what they say.

It's not capped. Look at Dsuke17's "Pending" list. He/she picked all 16 games on Thur and Fri.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's not capped. Look at Dsuke17's "Pending" list. He/she picked all 16 games on Thur and Fri.
    You're right. I just did the same all at max bets.

Could only make 28 picks (at least ATS) for Thurs/Fri because I have to wait until the play-in game winners advance to choose those other 4 games.

Might not matter because I'll probably be -5000 by then.

I had not realized there was a setting last time that defaulted to a max of 10 bets per day. This time I set it to a max of 150 total bets for the entire contest. Seeing as there are a total of 67 games and only 2 ways to bet every game, we will need a max of 134 total bets. I played it safe and set it to 150.

Okay so ESPN.com has the score 22- 17 in favor of MSM at the under 8 TO and the Covers site has the score reversed. Never bet against the house particularly when the house fabricates whatever score it wants. Might explain why I finished 42 out of 43 in the last contest.

Is there a link to the Degenerate NCAA contest?

Off to a wonderful 0-2 start

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Check out Jason's first comment of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    To play:

We are using Covers.com. GO HERE and register to create an account using your DBR handle (it takes about a minute). Then GO TO THE DBR POOL PAGE and click on "make picks" in the nav bar and then use the password, "GoDuke" and you're ready to go.

Gonzaga 25
    SDS 22

1 minute left in the half.

My SDST +22.5 and under 156 has to be a lock, right?

It is obviously very early, but exactly 1 person (Lar77) is above breakeven at the moment. I think the struggles of Notre Dame, Wake, and Virginia (all failed to cover and offensive team ND went under while defensive team Virginia went over) has really hit our group hard.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is obviously very early, but exactly 1 person (Lar77) is above breakeven at the moment. I think the struggles of Notre Dame, Wake, and Virginia (all failed to cover and offensive team ND went under while defensive team Virginia went over) has really hit our group hard.
    Indeed. Harder to pick these with little eyeball history on some of the teams.