scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

An amazing non-Duke story from the Michigan Wolverines

Today may have been the first day this year that both my teams won importent games... which was all the more amazing given the fact that the Wolverines literally were in a life or death situation last night after a couple pane crash (being in Ann Arbor I can confirm the weather and wind was insane) and arrived in DC for the game mere hours before tipoff. Plus, playing in practice jerseys was just awesome, and I sort of hope they keep them until they lose, haha.

Great story here for those who are interested:

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

How the Michigan basketball team came together after plane crash

http://on.freep.com/2m86Xil

Adding insult to injury, they were stuck in traffic once they made it to DC.

Go, Big Blue!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    For what it's worth, Lunardi currently has Michigan as the 9 seed in UNC's bracket. As Duke fans I think we all should be BEGGING for a Michigan/UNC matchup. Michigan's bigs, Mo Wagner and DJ Wilson, both are solid rebounders at 6'10'' plus, but also take guys off the dribble extremely well and are solid 3 point shooters. I think that would be a matchup NIGHTMARE for UNCs plodding bigs like Meeks and Hicks et. al.

I'd give Michigan a very, very solid shot of pulling that upset were it to come to that. Just a thought.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

This story does have a Duke angle ... the same thing happened to the 1964 Duke basketball team.

Flying to the Final Four in Kansas City, the Duke plane landed ... and skidded off the runway.

Duke went on to upset Michigan (interesting coincidence) in the semifinals before losing to UCLA in the title game.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This story does have a Duke angle ... the same thing happened to the 1964 Duke basketball team.

Flying to the Final Four in Kansas City, the Duke plane landed ... and skidded off the runway.

Duke went on to upset Michigan (interesting coincidence) in the semifinals before losing to UCLA in the title game.
    Why do I sense that this Michigan story is a lot less scary in 2017 than the Duke team in 1964?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Michigan just beat Purdue. Way to go, Big Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Why do I sense that this Michigan story is a lot less scary in 2017 than the Duke team in 1964?
    Initially I thought this might be a bit overblown too, to be honest... but after seeing the pictures and hearing the stories from the people on the plane, it sounded pretty freaking scary.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!