Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I don't really feel like reviewing the posting guidelines, so could somebody tell me if "I told you so's" are allowed?

Grayson was 18/4/1 today. Close enough?

He was 2/3 from 3 pt land. 42% over all. And 6/7 on FTs

Anyone out here still think he's afraid to drive or is not healthy (mentally or physically)?
    I don't think is 100 percent healthy from a physical standpoint but he is much healthier than he was during the Syracuse game.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Just imagine how good Kennard would be if he learned to shoot.
    right-handed... after all, he threw footballs right-handed

[Sigh]

Congrats guys.

Dadgummit (as Roy would say), I was really hoping not to have to play you all again (and would have been OK flaming out against Miami, truth be told).

So here we go again.

Go Heels.

2:57 left, Giles had just come out, sitting on the bench, the camera flashed a look at him. His demeanor was totally different, he was not slouching, he was ready to go back in, he knew he could help.

He. Was. Feelin'. It. !!!!

I believe he turned a corner today.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    2:57 left, Giles had just come out, sitting on the bench, the camera flashed a look at him. His demeanor was totally different, he was not slouching, he was ready to go back in, he knew he could help.

I'm 99% sure someone(s) has said this 4-5 different times this season. He played very well. Let's not extrapolate.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    20 ppg vs 16 ppg. 50% FG vs 42%. .441 3FG vs .395. 5.3 rpg vs 3.1. 2.5 apg vs 1.6. One of those players is clearly superior in every category. That player is Luke Kennard. The only area that So. JJ was better than So. Luke is FT% 95% vs 85%.
    If you wanna argue about different team styles and volume of shots, go ahead. The debate is pretty clear to me.
    I didn't say you were wrong, I said it's debatable. And it is. Luke has never been the sole focus of our opponents' defenses the way JJ was. So the stats don't tell the whole story in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Perhaps referring to Justin Jackson, the so-called ACC POY?
    Good point, that never occurred to me -- but since Mr. Haskell has clarified, apparently he was talking about Redick after all.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    I like current Luke's play better than junior JJ and I think he's just as good as senior JJ. I'd probably take Luke simply because of his footwork and ball fakes off the drive. Keep in mind that JJ averaged 22 ppg on --41%-- shooting as a junior. Luke could anchor Duke next year and average 25 ppg when Tatum leaves.
    As I said to DiB, it's debatable whether sophomore Luke is better than sophomore JJ. I don't think there's a reasonable argument for sophomore Luke against junior or senior JJ. Again, you have to take into account that JJ was the primary, secondary, and tertiary focus of opposing defenses and he still did what he did. If he had received the one-on-one coverage that Luke generally gets, he would have had way better stats. Now, if Luke comes back and plays his junior and senior seasons, you could very well end up being right that junior or senior Luke is better than junior or senior JJ, but I'm not sure we'll get that chance. Also, JJ's defense was oft-maligned, but it was still miles better than Luke's defense.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    If Duke wins tomorrow, do they get 2 seed love in NCAAs?
    I don't think so. I agree with FDD that we need to win the ACCT to get a #2 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post

Let's see him do it again tomorrow, and if we're lucky, on Saturday as well.

I'm still slightly skeptical, but I'm grateful for our bench's much improved play today, because it meant that we were able to limit Amile/Matt/Frank's minutes. However, that's another 38 minutes for Luke, and 39 for Jayson, a day after playing 39 each against Clemson. I hope those guys still have their legs under them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    That is a play Duke used to call "Special". The man inbounding inbounding the ball immediately gets the ball back and goes for a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DD2fEEVVMk

Laettner made it work here.
    I was in the Meadowlands that night. Great memory.

Not sure if it was a break out game, but Giles did have a big block somewhere toward the end.

Great game and I'm happy to see GA playing like his old self again.
    Luke was awesome again, he's quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite.
    I was also very encouraged by Harry Giles play today.
    Just great team play today.

I'm pretty sure that when Jackson took that 3, there were only 5 or 6 seconds left on the shot clock. Kennard had just driven to the hoop and his shot was blocked/affected (I thought he was fouled) but I don't think the ball hit the rim. It's possible it did hit the rim, I guess, but i'm 99% sure that ESPN's clock at least hadn't reset.

With only 5 seconds left on the shot clock, a wide-open 3 is a pretty good shot. I'm not going to hold Jackson accountable for that.

All that said - great win!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    They missed 11 free throws. We missed 9 free throws. Not as big a difference as it appeared during the game.
    Respectfully disagree. It was not about the number of misses in this instance. It was about the percentage. Hitting 58% of their freebies led them down the garden path for the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Scary scenario late in the game. Duke up 4 I think. Amile gets offensive rebound passes to Frank Jackson wide open 3 and he shoots it. He should have dribbled it back out to run some clock.
    Pretty sure the original shot didn't draw iron and Frank shot because there were 5 seconds left on the shot clock. Not much more he could have dribbled out.

I didn't say you were wrong, I said it's debatable. And it is. Luke has never been the sole focus of our opponents' defenses the way JJ was. So the stats don't tell the whole story in this case.

Good point, that never occurred to me -- but since Mr. Haskell has clarified, apparently he was talking about Redick after all.

As I said to DiB, it's debatable whether sophomore Luke is better than sophomore JJ. I don't think there's a reasonable argument for sophomore Luke against junior or senior JJ. Again, you have to take into account that JJ was the primary, secondary, and tertiary focus of opposing defenses and he still did what he did. If he had received the one-on-one coverage that Luke generally gets, he would have had way better stats. Now, if Luke comes back and plays his junior and senior seasons, you could very well end up being right that junior or senior Luke is better than junior or senior JJ, but I'm not sure we'll get that chance. Also, JJ's defense was oft-maligned, but it was still miles better than Luke's defense.

I don't think so. I agree with FDD that we need to win the ACCT to get a #2 seed.
    All I know is I am glad he plays for Duke. Kid is a clutch player. That is what separates good from great players.

Regardless of stats, I just prefer the way Luke's game looks. He gets off difficult shots in ways that I can't see coming. In many of the same situations, JJ would be stuck in the lane and likely get stripped. Being able to pivot/spin/pump fake/make shot with quickness/fluidity is very difficult. Don't laugh but I sorta see flashes of a smaller Larry Bird as far as creating shots goes.
    Last edited by eddiehaskell; 03-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.

may have been mentioned up thread ... but did Snyder blatantly walk on the last play? If they call Tatum for his "walk" then that looked like a hop-skip-and a jump.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Regardless of stats, I just prefer the way Luke's game looks. He gets off difficult shots in ways that I can't see coming. JJ would be stuck in the lane. Don't laugh but I sorta see flashes of a smaller Larry Bird.
    I'm not really seeing it . . . Bird was, and played much bigger. He was one of the best passers in the history of the game, because of his size/length/vision. That's not really Luke's game.

I actually see Luke as a poor man's Steph Curry. You can tell he watches Steph and tries to emulate some of his moves. Some of the things he does off the dribble, and his craftiness in the paint are very Curry-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm not really seeing it . . . Bird was, and played much bigger. He was one of the best passers in the history of the game, because of his size/length/vision. That's not really Luke's game.

I actually see Luke as a poor man's Steph Curry. You can tell he watches Steph and tries to emulate some of his moves. Some of the things he does off the dribble, and his craftiness in the paint are very Curry-esque.
    I had to add that I meant creating shots...especially over quicker/more athletic players. Bird is certainly on another level when it comes to passing or rebounding. JJ couldn't get into a clean jumper as easily with a few dribbles/pivots.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    My 4 o'clock meeting just ended. Did I miss anything interesting?
    Nah. Just another day at the office. 😂😎

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Frank the Tank...
    I've never heard ANYBODY call him that. Or Jacko or Action Jackson.

If you have, then please accept my apologies. But if you haven't...just stop.