Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 81, Louisville 77 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Live stream for postgame pressers here: https://livestream.com/ACCDN/events/7085629

I will post another link for the archived Duke presser later (which will be a different link from the above)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZone

Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Discuss the game here.
    Dylan goes electric at Newport Folk Festival.

K goes zone against Louisville.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

BTW, the bench played very well. Struggling one day doesn't mean you have to struggle the next day.

And, the move to zone was huge, and so was Luke once again down the stretch to carry us.

Great win!!! HUGE for both Grayson and Harry's confidence. I think we should zone UNC too. Force them to hit outside shots and it seems like a defense we understand better. Let's go Duke! Let's beat Carolina!

I'm watching that again from start to finish right now.

I think you can argue this is our best win of the year. From the top (K implementing zone was a great decision) to the team as a whole (fighting back from down 12). Grayson coming back on huge!!!

I'll be rewatching this later tonight.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Jayon was great.

Luke was sometimes great.

Grayson was infinitely better than he was yesterday .

The zone defense was better. Gave up way too many layups and committed way too many fouls trying to play man-to-man.

Might the zone be useful tomorrow? Just feels good to be talking about playing another game tomorrow! Louisville is a very good team and any win against them is a good win.

NCAA implications? Maybe bumps us up to a 3? I want nothing to do w/ Kansas or Villanova before the elite 8 (hopefully final 4).

I'll say it again - Tatum is very good (and young I know), but his late-game bone head mistakes scare the crap out of me. He's that guy who gets the ball for the last shot and you have a nervous breakdown hoping he doesn't dribble off his foot/get stripped/travel, etc. I pray we don't need a big shot later and he gets called for something like palming.

Luke is better than JJ, IMO.

Now THAT was a complete team effort. Every single guy who played made contributions, including each guy who came off the bench. Harry had a couple of really good plays late in the second half protecting the rim (and kind of a funny/pathetic one on that VJ King floater where Harry couldn't decide whether or not he wanted to commit to challenging the shot and then just fell down), and Marques had that one offensive possession where he kept the ball alive for 3-4 shot attempts! We didn't score, but the effort was remarkable.

What a huge difference that zone made ... it was like watching a layup drill one minute and then the next minute, it's the 2011 Chicago Bulls. And that last Louisville possession! My God, where was this defensive intensity hiding all year?

I haven't gone through that many emotions in a single game in a long time. At least when we've played UNC the last few times, we were always right there, and I never got to the point where I was resigned to the fact that we would lose. That's how bad it got early in the 2nd half. What a game!!

I thought Duke was gonna muddle their way thru to a loss once UL went up 11. Then we found another gear. Then Mitchell (or Snider?) picked up his 4th with about 9 to go and Duke really responded, particularly after that Levitch b.s.
    So happy for Grayson though. He went from perhaps his worst performance in a Duke uniform to among his better games this season in one day. That assist to Tatum for a 3 was sweet.
    Luke started really slow again, but found his comfort zone and really helped seal the win. He even got a 2x-double!
    Tatum's driving ability has really gone to a new level recently, he's been mega. I gave him a hard time earlier in the year, but his game has really evolved. He's playing as well as anyone in the country right now.
    Giles had probably his best game in Duke uni: 4/3/2/2/1 p/r/a/s/b. That's pretty nice.
    Frank has been pretty shaky at the line lately for an 80% FT shooter on the year. Still, even though he didn't score a whole lot, he was an important part of this win.
    I do gotta say one negative nelly thing: that turnover with 20 seconds left was among the worst plays this team has made all year, given the situation.
    Bring on the Cheaters!!! (btw, why was J. Jackson given the POY award and not Kennard?)

OK, who was it here who phoned/emailed/texted/tweeted/instagrammed/PM'ed K to switch to the zone?

I know I contributed greatly by staying the hell away from any chats/TV/radio during the 2nd half. Worked yesterday, too. I can take a hint. Y'all can thank me later, or, just send beer.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    I think you can argue this is our best win of the year. From the top (K implementing zone was a great decision) to the team as a whole (fighting back from down 12). Grayson coming back on huge!!!

I'll be rewatching this later tonight.
    No argument here, absolutely the best win. Beat a really good team, great toughness, tired legs, easy to give up but didn't, Giles contributes, GA big. Jackson plays well, Tatum scares everyone when they watch tape.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Dylan goes electric at Newport Folk Festival.

K goes zone against Louisville.
    ummmm, K has played zone a few times in the OAD era, most notably for a few games in 2015.
    Zone does seem to be effective against UL though, he did it to them in 2015...

Rested Jefferson, Bolden and Giles contributing, Grayson being himself (for now) and Frank the Tank having the keys. Bring it on. See you cheaters tomorrow.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Kennard once again proving the ACC press votes the wrong guy... tomorrow will really prove it.

Our man-to-man defense was sooooo bad, and then I realized Matt and Amile only played 23 and 25 minutes, and it suddenly made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Luke is better than JJ, IMO.
    If you mean senior JJ (or even junior JJ), then you just don't remember how good he was.

I don't really feel like reviewing the posting guidelines, so could somebody tell me if "I told you so's" are allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Seriously, would anyone be surprised to see Grayson go for 16/5/5 tomorrow? I wouldn't. He hasn't "regressed, but he mercurial.

I'm absolutely rooting for him!
    Grayson was 18/4/1 today. Close enough?

He was 2/3 from 3 pt land. 42% over all. And 6/7 on FTs

Anyone out here still think he's afraid to drive or is not healthy (mentally or physically)?

The sort of win that can change our season. Loved the moxie we showed down 12 to fight back in. If we can play with a chip on our shoulder, we are going to be tough to beat.