Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Louisville (3/9, 2 pm, ESPN, ACC Net.) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Well, here we are. Revenge against UL or another frustrating defensive performance? We shall see.

Watch online at ACC.com or WatchESPN. ESPN went out around start of second half in WNC area so watched the rest on local affiliate. Was better.

Go Duke!!!

Having Jefferson back will make a difference. Not playing in Louisville will make a difference. Having shaken the tourney jitters off and gotten comfortable on the neutral court will make a difference. I think we will win tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Having Jefferson back will make a difference. Not playing in Louisville will make a difference. Having shaken the tourney jitters off and gotten comfortable on the neutral court will make a difference. I think we will win tomorrow!
    Having K will make a difference. I'm on board!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Well, here we are. Revenge against UL or another frustrating defensive performance? We shall see.

Watch online at ACC.com or WatchESPN. ESPN went out around start of second half in WNC area so watched the rest on local affiliate. Was better.
    This is a really important game - maybe the most important ACC quarterfinal game for Duke in the last 20 years. The first time around we were at their place. No Coach K. No Amile. Somehow we kept it within 10 points.

A win will go a long way for the team's confidence (or maybe just my confidence). It's another chance to get Grayson on track. It's likely the difference between an NCAA 4 seed and a 3 seed. Louisville is just tough and good. I am excited about this one and think we will pull it off (an oddly optimistic feeling for this usual pessimist).
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    It's another chance to get Grayson on track. .
    sorry. I think Grayson should sit...he just has nothing in the tank....maybe, MAYBE, he gets the injury in check over the next week and can contribute, but i think he's a negative as is...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Duke needs to expect that the refs will not call anything and Louisville will be bumping them all game. I agree with those that Grayson may be better off sitting tomorrow. He is forcing things on offense and it is wrecking havoc on his game.

Luke is going to have to be Luke in the first half, too. If Tatum can keep playing smart, and Jackson can keep being aggressive without turning the ball over, I like our chances.
    We kept it close at their house without Jefferson and without K.

We also need to stay out of foul trouble.

This is a really important game - maybe the most important ACC quarterfinal game for Duke in the last 20 years. The first time around we were at their place. No Coach K. No Amile. Somehow we kept it within 10 points.

A win will go a long way for the team's confidence (or maybe just my confidence). It's another chance to get Grayson on track. It's likely the difference between an NCAA 4 seed and a 3 seed. Louisville is just tough and good. I am excited about this one and think we will pull it off (an oddly optimistic feeling for this usual pessimist).
    Agreed, huge game. Besides being able to secure a 3 seed and probably also locking in the Greenville pod, it would probably also be our best win of the season. We've had several good wins this season -- home against UNC, at Notre Dame, at UVA -- but the added adversity here (0 days rest going against a well-rested Louisville team) and the revenge factor would make this a great win. I would love to have a great win under our belts heading into the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Duke needs to expect that the refs will not call anything and Louisville will be bumping them all game. I agree with those that Grayson may be better off sitting tomorrow. He is forcing things on offense and it is wrecking havoc on his game.
    We need Grayson playing like Grayson to compete for a title. In my opinion, sitting on the bench isn't going to help achieve that. Seeing a few shots go in, on the other hand, could do wonders for his confidence.
    Windy City Devil

In hindsight, the 2013 quarters vs. Maryland was bigger. That loss put Duke in (eventual champion) Louisville's bracket. Best Maryland, and Duke likely notches another Final Four. 20/20 rear view mirror.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    sorry. I think Grayson should sit...he just has nothing in the tank...maybe, MAYBE, he gets the injury in check over the next week and can contribute, but i think he's a negative as is...
    In the post-game, Coach K mentioned that one of his priorities is getting Grayson back on track - we'd be tough to guard (to put it mildly) with the four big-time scorers. My feeling is that Grayson's a negative...until he's not. I think he is the key to our post-season success.

As such, I think we need to keep turning the key until the engine roars to life. It's a stormy night. Coach K is Marty McFly. Grayson is the delorean. We've got a couple of minutes until the alarm clock sounds. Gotta keep turning the key and banging on the steering wheel until it clicks. That's the only way we are hitting 88 mph!
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

As such, I think we need to keep turning the key until the engine roars to life. It's a stormy night. Coach K is Marty McFly. Grayson is the delorean. We've got a couple of minutes until the alarm clock sounds. Gotta keep turning the key and banging on the steering wheel until it clicks. That's the only way we are hitting 88 mph!
    "Great Scott!" - Sean May
    "Whoa, this is heavy." - Scott May

No one has pointed out the real difference between a Greensboro tournament and a Brooklyn tournament: how will Louisville spend their downtime? You could imagine hometown hero Slick Rick losing focus.

In the post-game, Coach K mentioned that one of his priorities is getting Grayson back on track - we'd be tough to guard (to put it mildly) with the four big-time scorers. My feeling is that Grayson's a negative...until he's not. I think he is the key to our post-season success.

sweet analogy. only it should be 88 ppg!

Early betting lines: Louisville by 1-1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed, huge game. Besides being able to secure a 3 seed and probably also locking in the Greenville pod, it would probably also be our best win of the season. We've had several good wins this season -- home against UNC, at Notre Dame, at UVA -- but the added adversity here (0 days rest going against a well-rested Louisville team) and the revenge factor would make this a great win. I would love to have a great win under our belts heading into the NCAA tournament.
    Splitting with Louisville would be tremendous, especially since our loss to them occurred way back in January, was a road game, without Jefferson and without Coach K.

Take a look at this boxscore:

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 9.45.03 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I kind of feel this way, too. The pessimist in me says a fresh Louisville hounding our guards all game will wear us down. The optimist says what CDu said. Since the big road win against Wake, we have been in so many tough, close games and I feel like we continue to get better. Bring it on!

This is the most confusing Duke team I can remember. I understand injuries have played a big role but we should still be better. As much as I blamed the freshman/injuries earlier in the year; I blame our veterans now. Matt, as good defensively as he's been, just can't shoot this year. If he shoots his average from 3 from the last two years, we win a few more games.

Grayson is the biggest surprise. I love the kid and his enthusiasm but he just isn't bringing it. No player, who was the leader for preseason national player of the year, should have a game like this. Even with injuries, there is no excuse.

We saw our potential vs uvla and GT.

Let's get back to clicking, making shots, and win it all.

Grayson was on the verge versus Clemson today. He was moving well, seemingly focused. His second foul was questionable and the 3rd, the technical, was bogus.

We will see the real Grayson tomorrow versus Louisville.

God Bless America!

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I kind of feel this way, too. The pessimist in me says a fresh Louisville hounding our guards all game will wear us down. The optimist says what CDu said. Since the big road win against Wake, we have been in so many tough, close games and I feel like we continue to get better. Bring it on!
    The other thing is that all of our key regulatlrs are capable ballhandlers and passers. We are well-equipped to handle Louisville's pressure. Not saying we will do so, but we have the pieces.

The key will be on the other end. If Jones can lock down Mitchell, I think we stand a great chance.