Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 79, Clemson 72 (ACCT) Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Love good Tatum.

Good win. Not sure if Clemson should have fouled with 36 seconds left...they had time for a stop and it got away from them after that.

Looked like a tough game from what I could tell on ESPN's GameCast. Hope our guys still have something left in the tank for tomorrow. One complaint about the ESPN page, though, there's a glitch where it print "Frank Jackson turnover." at the end of every first half. That can't be true, right?

Tatum was phenomenal. All of our starters played VERY well.

Our bench was terrible. Grayson was . . . . awful. I can't remember any time in my memory of Duke basketball where an established guy came into a season and regressed this much, even considering the injuries. He and Harry combined for 6 fouls and 2 points.

We're very lucky that Frank is coming on strong right now. But we need the good Grayson back if we want to continue to advance. The starters played more minutes than I would have preferred for the first of presumably 3 or 4 games in as many days.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Looked like a tough game from what I could tell on ESPN's GameCast. Hope our guys still have something left in the tank for tomorrow. One complaint about the ESPN page, though, there's a glitch where it print "Frank Jackson turnover." at the end of every first half. That can't be true, right?
    It was, he dribbled the ball of his legs out of a TO with just a few seconds left on the game clock.

Zero points for Allen in 13 minutes. Should they just sit him out until the NCAA tournament starts? Would be really tough though with basically no bench other than Giles for 7 minutes.

k says Jackson is the key. I agree. Especially with Allen not being himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I can't remember any time in my memory of Duke basketball where an established guy came into a season and regressed this much, even considering the injuries.
    Injuries can make a big difference. The kid deserves some credit for wanting to play...he's not getting that spin from the press because of the incidents.

Any ACC Tournament win is a good win, but it looks like we're down to five players. Only the five starters played significant minutes as Grayson seems to be the latest player given up on. I hope I'm wrong (maybe it was just fouls generally or maybe it was the technical foul) and that he (and others) get to provide help to the starters going forward. I can't see us advancing far in either the ACC or NCAA Tournaments with only five guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Love good Tatum.
    Is there another kind of Tatum? Kid has been great all year (once he got on the court anyway).

Survive and advance. Great game by Frank and Jayson. Awesome second half by Luke. Amile did a good job. Vrank's cameo went better than I expected. Harry, Marques, Matt and Grayson... if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Bring on Louisville.

Vrank sighting.

I guess Jeter is unavailable due to health or other, with Vrank getting the call this afternoon. That is too bad, as I thought his game was pretty solid earlier in the year.

Frank is at a new level and the timing couldn't be better.

Marques looked out of sorts. Giles did not look great either. I hope one of these guys can step it up if we want to make it to Saturday.

60-47... then 69-68... then 79-72. Not sure if that is good that we held them off or bad that we let them come back. March is a beast though, and Clemson was playing to get into the tournament, so they were gonna throw everything they had at us.

Survive and advance.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    Zero points for Allen in 13 minutes. Should they just sit him out until the NCAA tournament starts? Would be really tough though with basically no bench other than Giles for 7 minutes.
    Just need to tell Grayson to take the lead out of his shoes.

Watching the 2015 Championship Game and a few games from last year recently it is amazing how is has regressed (possibly due to injuries?). Gone from an explosive player who can drive by guys at will, to someone that looks to be moving in quicksand. As someone who really wants him to do well, tough to watch.

I also took away another shift in rotation hierarchy from Bolden to Vrank the Tank.

3 20 point scorers? Not too shabby.

A win without Grayson scoring? We'll take it. Hope he gets healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    3 20 point scorers? Not too shabby.

A win without Grayson scoring? We'll take it. Hope he gets healthy.
    I don't attribute his poor play today to health. I attribute it to attitude.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    k says Jackson is the key. I agree. Especially with Allen not being himself.
    Link to press conference? I know they've show it live in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelongdevil View Post
    Just need to tell Grayson to take the lead out of his shoes.

Watching the 2015 Championship Game and a few games from last year recently it is amazing how is has regressed (possibly due to injuries?). Gone from an explosive player who can drive by guys at will, to someone that looks to be moving in quicksand. As someone who really wants him to do well, tough to watch.

I also took away another shift in rotation hierarchy from Bolden to Vrank the Tank.
    I meant bench him so he can recover from his injuries. Didn't mean bench him because of his poor play.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Injuries can make a big difference. The kid deserves some credit for wanting to play...he's not getting that spin from the press because of the incidents.
    Witness the doe-eyed calling off the dogs speech from Jay Williams during the half. Even Seth seemed a bit quieted.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'